Philosophy Philosophical Question Number 9

smoke

Read It And Weep
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly been a long time coming! I have neglected the forum for some time now...but I'm back!!! Bigger (put on a couple of pounds), Better (i had a shave) and Badder (I kicked a snail on the way home)!
I hope all my peeps in the forum doing well, kicking back with a smoke and looking forward to thier weekend!
Well, nevermind the b0110cks here's the question:

"Revenge; right or wrong?"

There are a few schools of thought here.
An eye for an eye.
two wrongs don't make a right....and so on and so forth.

Happy posting.

I don't believe in revenge. I believe in punishment. Making the persons life a living hell for the evil they had done on to you.

Doc:ramen::happy:

.... as you have done in the first couple of Philosophical questions, this is a hard one againn.. ( but thats why it is a Philosophical i geus)

Revenge wrong or right....

i realy think it depens on the situation... " when somebody kill your wife and your kid, on purpose,,, i would like to pull his balls of his body... ( sorry for the rough lanquage) , but that is personal in this world, and we dont live alone in the world, every country have there LAW system ( as i know about in Turkey Revence is a thing in families that happen a lot, and is being seen as RIGHT! there)

i havnt been in this position so i dont know if i can judge about this...

all i can say is, depens on the Situation!!

Like D.B. said it depends on the situation (what doesn't), but I think it's completely valid from an ethical point of view. Can be psychologically healthy too. :gun:

State justice system is impersonal and therefore falls short in the personal satisfaction aspect; hence something stronger than poetic justice would be nice. How about an eye for an eye ? Why should it be considered so harsh ?

lexico said:
State justice system is impersonal and therefore falls short in the personal satisfaction aspect; hence something stronger than poetic justice would be nice. How about an eye for an eye ? Why should it be considered so harsh ?
An eye for an eye is how a lot of Islamic law is based. It would depend on what had been carried out against you. For petty little things like getting water thrown at you, you would exact a revenge on the person who did it to you, I would. For more serious crimes such as murder I would leave it up to the courts. I do not believe in state sponsored revenge in the form of the death sentance. As far as I am concerned humans are supposed to be an intelligent animal that should be able to rise about such things not get dragged into a similar blood lust. Because state justice is impersonal it is also impartial and not subjective and free of the emotional baggage that can cause rash actions.

This is yet another difficult question. But that's lovely. :cool: Revenge, I would have to agree with Doc. I believe in punishment, but is there a way we can distingush punishment and revenge? :?

But what about if you dont agree with the Punishment... ( there many country's that give bad punishment for crimes sometimes... like my country ... you kill somebody,,, you will get at least 6-10 years... ..... )

When you can not be satisfight with the Punishment,,, Revenge will come??

Punishment:

The act or an instance of punishing.
The condition of being punished.
A penalty imposed for wrongdoing.
Rough handling; mistreatment.

Example: Someone murders your lover. Rather than kill them back, you should enact natural justice through punishment. Torturing them is much more fitting than taking their life. Scarring them emotionally is much more fitting than killing them. Sticking them in solitary confinment for the rest of their life is more fitting than revenge. Revenge is not a valid motive. It is an emotional response. Punishment is much more fitting than revenge.

isayhello said:
Revenge brings satisfaction.

Disagree.... when you get in jail because you killed him, would that give you satisfaction being in jail for live? ( would your Death Husband/wife want you to be in jail?)

isayhello said:
Revenge brings satisfaction.

Only for a short while. Why do you think they say, "revenge is a b i t c h"? With punishment you know that having the murder still alive won't bring your family back nor will it when they're dead, but you will have the satisfaction to watch them suffer for the rest of their life in prision, and that they can't do a damn thing about it. See what I mean? Punishment brings a much more satisfaction than revenge.

But jail brings no inner satisfaction, only outer. You can tell the rest of the world that 'the guy that killed my wife/husband is in jail and yeah, it feels good'... but... you know he's still alive, while your wife/husband isn't. And how bad can jail be?
Killing the murderer would bring inner peace. At least for the moment. Later, when you're in jail youself it might not be enjoyable, but there is always a bunch of books to read.

(I'm not completely serious, just want to discuss. Revenge might not work at all, at least not in modern society)

Actually punishment is better. Why? How about sending letters to the ass that murdered your family mocking him for the fact that you have freedom, but he doesn't. Do you know how much you can destroy a person emotionally by doing that? It can bring a hell of a lot more satisfaction watching him suffer till the day he dies. Revenge is just a spur of the moment type thing. You feel happy on for a little while, but then you'll feel ten times worse than you did before. Why? Because you didn't get to thourghly punish the guy for his crimes against humanity. You just took his life instead. Punishing him would have been much more satisfactory and rewarding than killing him back for revenge. Do you see what I mean? Revenge is worthless, punishment is more worthwhile. Why kill them back when you can make their life a living hell? Much more than what they did to you? It's much more satisfactory in the end.

this is a reason why i think, putting an ejection or elctronic seat is wrong...doc.

when you put somebody on a chair, he dont suffer, he is happy.. ( wasnt they guy from the oklahoma building like this ... i can be wrong ... just something i though of...)

Doc said:
Only for a short while. Why do you think they say, "revenge is a b i t c h"? With punishment you know that having the murder still alive won't bring your family back nor will it when they're dead, but you will have the satisfaction to watch them suffer for the rest of their life in prision, and that they can't do a damn thing about it. See what I mean? Punishment brings a much more satisfaction than revenge.

What puts you in the postion of being a punisher? It sounds a little like putting yourself on a moral highground, don't you think? Punishment seems to imply acting on behalf of others, and for others, but can you speak for me, or society for that matter? Have you been put in this position by a consensus or the law? Revenge and punishment only seem to differ in this respect I would say; one is personal whilst the other is done for and on behalf of others. Smacks of vigilantism Doc. Can you really speak for me, or just yourself? What is a crime to you may not be so for me, and we may not share the same ideas as to what is just punishment either.

Sometimes, the murderer doesn't get his punishment, or at least not the punishment he deserves. What if there was a guy who killed your wife/husband and you knew it was him, but the court released him, or gave him a mild punishment? Punishment instead of sudden revenge is OK, but remember that it isn't you, Doc, who will make sure the killer gets the punishment he deserves... they are judges and court and laws, and sometimes they go wrong.

I'm saying there should be reform to the law now with the way jails are set up. Look at the prisions we have in America today. They're f***ing resorts to prisioners. We let them have luxuries that they shouldn't have! (Video games, movies, etc.) What I think they should do is make every cell like solitary confinment, have 30 cent lunches, and make them work in chain gangs on the hottest of summer days. Hell I'd send the ass letters mocking him about his plight. The point: not only does society thourghly punish the ass, but so do I. It's a win/win situation for both, and a lose/lose situation for the murder. I think that sort of punishment and getting the point across that murder is not something that is taken lightly are much more effective than killing the SOB. I think it would be enough to make anybody learn their lesson, even if they stay like that till the day they die.

Doc I hope I didn't come accross too criticizing in my post-it was late and....my apologies.

Anyway, you're right about problems with the law and prisons. I agree with your idea of how gaols should be. 'Professional' criminals don't consider gaol much of a punishment, it's seems more like an inconvenience to some. The people you associate with on the inside or the outside don't change much in regard to codes of conduct or behaviour, and that is the crux of the problem in regard to rehabilitation. For some it's a kind of boarding school where they can learn new skills too. Furthermore the costs of suporting a prisoner are quite high, so economically it's not viable either. Perhaps your punishment efforts would be more rewarded if you tried to lobby for some change in the system? You would be ethically justified in doing it this way, and you reach would be much longer.

we got tennis courts in our prison, basketball fields, and we have an official soccerteam that plays in the 4th national leauge.... the there own tv on there room, even there own shower in some prisons...

i thought prison was punishment... but when you are homeless, i geuss it would be better if you kill somebody....

This thread has been viewed 12343 times.

Back