How do you pronounce these words ?

How do you usually pronounce these words ?

• 2.4 : Direct => any of them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Apart from difference between BrE and AmE , some words in English have more than one acceptable pronuciation, regardless of where the speaker come from (US, Canada, UK, Australia...). I suppose that some people may even change their pronuciation of these words according to their mood. For example :

- often : the "t" can be pronounced or silent

- direct (director, direction, etc.) : can be pronounced like "dairect", "direct" or "derect" (the last one is definitely more American though).

How do you usually pronounce these ?

Since I was just assigned to write an essay about lexical phonology, I just have to answer ;P This is post-lexical phonology, though, but somewhere near the theory anyway!

I say them as in options 1.1, 2.1 and 3.1. But then again, I have a British accent ^^;

Just curious, why such a question?

Dammit, I meant to hit 3.3 instead of 3.2. Anyway, 1 and 2 are answered correctly for me, and the third depends on how I'm using the word--if it's a verb, one way, and if a noun, the other.

1.2 : Often => usually "often" ("t" pronounced), 2.2 : Direct => usually "direct", 3.2 : Associate => usually "esosiate" ("c" pronounced like "s")

That's how i pronounce it.

1.1, 2.1 and 3.1. Although I might put the 't' in often every now and then, I wouldn't say I do it enough to change my choice.

1.1 Often (with silence 't')
2.2 Direct (direct)
3.2 for a noun associate ('c' pronounced like 's'), but for a verb 3.1 ('c' pronounced like 'sh')

usually "ofen" (silent "t")
usually "direct"
usually "esosiate" ("c" pronounced like "s")

I should add other categories, like :

- route : pronounced "root" (like in French) or "raut".

- poor : rhyming with "your" or with "door".

You'd need to take other things into account,as well-such as Southern accents.
There is no sound difference in Texas when saying 'your' and 'door'.
The most noticeable thing about a Texas accent is an extremely flattened 'i' sound.This is also heard all along the Gulf Coast.

This thread has been viewed 27643 times.

Back