Annoying phrases

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
I am starting to get pretty fed up about various phrases people utter. I have just heard an interview with Jennifer Lopez and every other sentance was 'y'know what I mean' and after a while it becomes annoying. Another one that is bugging me is 'at the end of the day'. I work with a man that uses this all the time, well until I threatened to hit him every time he used it. What is it with these silly, trivial little phrases. Britney Spears is all 'y'know, y'know'. STOP IT, YOU ANNOYING LITTLE WOMAN!. I think their right to use the language should be revoked until they can prove they can use English at a responsible level. Does anyone on this forum have their own little pet hates about phrases in English, or any other language for that matter. Are there any Japnaese ones for example?

As far as Japanese, I got sick and tired of hearing "maji de?" from kids walking and talking on their cell phones. The same goes for people who liberally sprinkle their sentences with "sa."

"like"... Like it gets like used to like DEATH Yaknow what I mean?

Seriously I've told my children that unless they can speak without "filler" then they shouldn't say anything. Those phrases are used to fill in gaps in thought and unless you know what you are going to say, say nothing and THINK!

"mitaina~." means exactly "like" in Japanese, and the way that's used is exactly same as how "like" is used; vague little phrase.

?݂????ȁ@I know ?݂????? what you ?݂????? mean!

Every time my kids do something like this I repete EXECTLY what they say and say the annoying word LOUDLY enough so they can't help but notice what they are doing.

Yeah, I find, "You know what I'm sayin'?" very annoying. I want to respond, "NO! What you're saying is so deep that I couldn't possibly comprehend it! Baka!" :p

i get crazy of the sentence:

OWWWWW MY GOD!!!!!!

man.. i freaking dislike that more then well.. i dont know hahaha...
just its really anoying!!!!!!

How about "Like, oh - my GOD! You know waht I mean???"

Yes, I know what you mean. You mean you can't pull more than one original sentence out of your empy little head more than once a week and I seem to have missed it.

And don't be afraid of telling people things like that. My students (I now teach computers for a job skills in a school for adults) actually apreachiate when i demand that they speak clearly and improve their vocabulary. It makes it easier for them to ge a job.

Hi folks... back again...

I have been away from the U.K. for many years, and accept that things will,and have, changed ... but.... I cannot stand that horrible term "Gobsmacked" .... !

How it ever came into general use in the U.K. mystifies me - but totally justifies my not being there any more !

Sniff !

Regards,

?W????

and the ever popular "What EVER" with the snotty tone and rolled eyes. That one will get a smack to the back of the head when it comes out of my kids. It's ruder than ME!

"Fo' shizzle my nizzle" (and the other 9723486236578265 expressions derived from it)

It could very well be the meaning of life... but I honestly have no clue why is exists. Isn't it better to say "I concur with you wholeheartedly my African American brother" :emblaugh:

pinkkillerkisou said:
"Fo' shizzle my nizzle" (and the other 9723486236578265 expressions derived from it)

It could very well be the meaning of life... but I honestly have no clue why is exists. Isn't it better to say "I concur with you wholeheartedly my African American brother" :emblaugh:
:lol: Ah, that's great. You just made my day.

Oh, there are so many phrases which annoy me, both in Japanese and English.
English: 'Fo shizzle,' of course;'that's so gay'(still used ad nauseam at my school; using it even once is ad nauseam);'you know'; 'in terms of that'; and a few others that I can't remember right now, thankfully.

In Japanese, my main pet peeve: 'maji de.'

Glenn said:
"Recurring prevention?" Does that mean that you're continually trying to prevent something?

You're close. It means to prevent a recurrance. It's a phrase you're guaranteed to hear from the people responsible for supervising whomever/whatever caused a major foulup like the recent derailment.

I hate hearing it because it reminds me of how the Japanese merely pay lip service to safety. I could go into a full-scale, long-winded rant over this, but I don't feel like getting my blood pressure up at the moment.

mikecash said:
You're close. It means to prevent a recurrance. It's a phrase you're guaranteed to hear from the people responsible for supervising whomever/whatever caused a major foulup like the recent derailment.

Ah, so it's "recurrance prevention." Wow, that ending makes a big difference. :D

mikecash said:
I hate hearing it because it reminds me of how the Japanese merely pay lip service to safety. I could go into a full-scale, long-winded rant over this, but I don't feel like getting my blood pressure up at the moment.

I think the same is done in the US. Well, maybe it's not lip service so much as it's a "we're going to pass some laws that make us look like we care but we didn't really affect any change" type of thing that we get from our politicians.

What ticks me off is: "you know what I mean?".....

Haha... I noticed this once. So sad the English language is deteriorating and we are de-evolving and turning back into grunting baboons :lol:

son: *walks in kitchen* ehhh! (apparently this is how children greet their mothers :D)
mother: *nods understanding his 'hello'* Ja-eat? (Did you eat?)
son: Joo? (Did you?)

...and they understand each other perfectly.

This thread has been viewed 21076 times.

Back