Greatest Dutch contributions to the world ?

What is/are the Netherlands' greatest contribution(s) to the world?

• The microscope and the telescope

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The mercury thermometer

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The pendulum clock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The colony of New Amsterdam (which later became New York)

• Paintings (Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Gogh, Mondriaan...)

• Gouda cheese

• Heineken

• Liberal laws (about cannabis, abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia...)

• Electronic media (audio tape, video tape, CD, CD-ROM)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Last edited:
Liberal law, paintings and gouda cheese....I love gouda cheese!!!

liberal law, art, technology and also their great inventiveness in altering and manipulating their unfavorable land condition into their benefit. Great great engenering

Microscope and telescope
Pendulum clock
Mercury thermometer
Electronic media (audio tape, video tape, CD, CD-ROM)

haha, everything scientific is on top of my list, worst contribution would be heineken...

I don't think New York would have become New York if it was still in Dutch Hands.

Van Gogh was inspired by japanese painting or woodblocks, something like that.

The scientific inventions are a great contribution.

Waaa im soo happy about this, thank you verry much !!!!!!!!!

well HEINEKEN for sure, if you see how big they are in the world!!!!!

cheese, yes i tasted australian cheese.. ( sorry guys) that was not nice.. we make nice cheese....

another thing that i miss is the water works.. the way we use water, making land, dams, etc etc... is amazing, as we will see the water rise because of the polar,,, you will see this things will be getting more important to the world!!!!

so this is the future contribution!!!

still i dont understand why we change NY , for surimane..( ... )

also our law, with canabis, is great.. i have never seen problems in amsterdam because of weed... ( of course we have with hard-drugs that is not legal..... well... some kind of xtc you can buy at the comercial party's here... Wierd)

but i think other countrys have much more problems because it is forbitten , then we have with it!!!! i think tourisme in amsterdam went up a lot.. ( just to many coffee shops around 800 in whole amsterdam...)

Why?

MasterGeek said:
haha, everything scientific is on top of my list, worst contribution would be heineken...

why is heineken the worst??? they are still growing in the world.. as i know ( please tell me if i say wrong) they are the second biggest beer brewer in the world after budweizer..... i can see heineken everywhere in the world... at world party's , sport games, even in movie's!!!!!

so why is it the worst???

Last edited:
Meiki said:
Van Gogh was inspired by japanese painting or woodblocks, something like that.

Don't see much similarity between Van Gogh and Ukiyoe (wood-block paintings). Anyway, the Japanese did not paint Van Gogh's works. ;)

Well ... it certainly wasn't Gin ! Possibly the only drink I positively loathe ! And England, too, lays claim to it. But I still can't even stand the smell !

Van Gogh ?

In my opinion, the Dutch have made great contributions to the visual arts. The Dutch masters were just that - masters !

But why all the fuss about Van Gogh ? I always see him as one of the most overrated painters of all time ! He was psychologically disturbed (why else would you lop off an ear ... ?), a drunkard/drug addict (he ate his paints - cadmium is particularly nasty ...), and had the kindest, most concerned brother in the world (who seemed to spend his life writing out checks for Vincent ...).

Which would all be fine .... if I actually liked his work !

Dali was odd, too - but his work is superbly executed. Nearly all of the French Impressionists liked their absinthe from time to time (sometimes to excess..) - but just look at their pieces. Jackson Pollock was .... well, a little strange from time to time ... but - his work was original, not derivative.

"Sunflowers" ... is a pretty boring little painting !

Better to look at Vermeer, Rembrandt (...particularly Rembrandt...), Franz Hals ... or even Van Meegeren !

........am I ranting and getting "off - topic" .....?

I suspect I am .... so .... great Dutch contributions ....?

Civil Engineering - dyke construction and land reclamation.

(I used to live in England .... three feet below sea level.)

Thank God for the Dutch !

Regards

?W????

There is one Dutch contribution to the world I wish they had never made. GATSO, better known as the speed camera. These little parasites have sprung up all over the place in the UK, ever since the government have said the police can use the revenue generated from them for themselves. Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Staffordshire police seem to have fallen in love with the damn things. They are now refered to as revenue raisers in some areas, instead of speed or safety cameras. :eek:kashii:

Last edited:
that is dutch? wow didnt knew that.. sorry for that ... what most dutch ( angry) people always do is burn them!! hahaha

928_1flitspaal150401.jpg

i dont think they are really that bad, just i think there on the bad positions... i mean on a straight way??? come on, put it before a corner or something.. when it is 3 in the night, and silent on the road. you dont want to drive 100km an hour...

Sensuikan San@ i agree with you, van gogh is boring ( i went to the museum , even my J-girl didnt liked it that much...) my fav painting would be the Night watch from Rembrandt then!!!! to bad they cut 2 pieces of on the side of it, because it didnt fit in a room!

the dykes are just amazing, after the 1953 water disaster the dutch builded special dams, and water constructions!!
DSC06690.JPG

for more photo's look here
maeslantkering.jpg

but about the land reclamation, and drying it.. let pieces of land go lower even more! its great, but if the -5 meter change to 9 meter under sea level.. we Maybe could have a problem!!!! btw.. off topic i love the Kansai airport!! they build an island for it.. and to dont let it go down, it has a lift up construction!!!
to_os_kansai-airport.jpg

I voted for "other" because of the way the Dutch keep their land above water...the New Orleaners could take a lesson or two from them!

Good old Christian Huygens and Hans Lippershey get my vote. :cool:

? sorry about the last thingie.

anyways i live in zeeland (SEALAND), so we are like 2 meters below sea level, and still getting lower.... so i am very happy with those special dams :)

best dutch contribution.. i cant choose...
but suriname was a great contribution, and perhaps HARLEM in the US?

about the flitsers<--- what is it called in english? in our town the most of the time bump it with a car so it falls down and doesnt work anymore. what is nederland toch vindingrijk :p

advigilo said:
? sorry about the last thingie.

anyways i live in zeeland (SEALAND), so we are like 2 meters below sea level, and still getting lower.... so i am very happy with those special dams :)

best dutch contribution.. i cant choose...
but suriname was a great contribution, and perhaps HARLEM in the US?

mmm i dont know about this... i just cant understand why we changed new york(new amsterdam) for suriname... no hard feelings.... harlem, brooklyn, and i believe qeeuns to...

btw.. Zeeland is a nice place to live!!!!! i dont think of green .. but i live in amsterdam hahaha

This thread has been viewed 192090 times.

Back