Greatest German contributions to the world ?

What is/are Germany's greatest contribution(s) to the world ?

• Beer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sauerkraut & sausages

• Philosophy (Leibniz, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger...)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss...)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • World's first pocket watch

• World's first petrol/gasoline engine, diesel engine, motorcycle and Jet engine

• Cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, VW...)

• World's first light bulb, TV, LCD screen

• Electric appliances & electronic goods (Siemens, Bosch...)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Aspirin & other pharmaceutical products

• Dogs (dachshund, german shepherd, doberman, rotweiler...)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
To continue the series (after Japan, Belgium and the Netherlands), let's now consider the most substantial German contributions to the world.

Last edited:
philosophy, classical music, dogs, beer

classical music, beer and cars.... :cool:

I put philosophy mainly because i really enjoy nietzche's writing and am looking forward to read the others, hegel and goethe and the rest.....

second i would put cars most defenetely and lets not forget that the man responsible for the conception of the rotary engine, used today by mazda in the RX series, was a german :p.

Cars, classical music, philosophy and other. I missed beer for some reason, so put an extra point there.

:sorry:

Other being the electronic and industrial music coming out of Germany and it's surroundings, like (early on) Kraftwerk, and (later on) DAF, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 (belgian), Laibach (slovenian), Rammstein.

:)

cars, the best in the world from far imo (i own a vw, my father an audi :cool: ), beer (i drown in beer each time i go to germany :blush: ), classical music (the austrians have a part of the credit aswell), speedlimitless highways :p

SirJeannot said:
cars, the best in the world from far imo (i own a vw, my father an audi :cool: ), beer (i drown in beer each time i go to germany :blush: ), classical music (the austrians have a part of the credit aswell), speedlimitless highways :p

Yes, I agree with cars too. (Although I own a Toyota Yaris, which I bought recently, and I love).
My parents own a Volkswagen Passat, which is a great drive.

I also love Mercedes, BMW and Audi, however, too expensive for me....I prefer my Toyota Yaris. :blush:

I find it difficult to vote on this for some of the items mentioned due to the fact that Germany didn't really exist as a unified country until the mid 19th century and some of these items predate Germany. What area are we talking about here? Mainly Prussia or some of the smaller states that existed? Plus I have always thought that beer was more Czech than German.

Miss_apollo7 said:
Yes, I agree with cars too. (Although I own a Toyota Yaris, which I bought recently, and I love).
My parents own a Volkswagen Passat, which is a great drive.

I also love Mercedes, BMW and Audi, however, too expensive for me....I prefer my Toyota Yaris. :blush:

I thought u had a lupo?

Btw, a consideration for car buyers, skoda is good, chzech owned by WV, and not expensive

Mycernius said:
I find it difficult to vote on this for some of the items mentioned due to the fact that Germany didn't really exist as a unified country until the mid 19th century and some of these items predate Germany.
That's true to a degree, but up to Napoleon the "Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation)" existed. You could say everybody living on the territory of the empire was/is German, although perhaps I would confine that to the part of the population that actually spoke a German dialect.

Duo said:
I thought u had a lupo?

Btw, a consideration for car buyers, skoda is good, chzech owned by WV, and not expensive

Not anymore, you are right about VW. Sold.
But now I have a Toyota Yaris....BRAND NEW!!!! I bought it and it was delivered to me in April....I have had it for only about a month now. I will show pictures soon to post. It is metallic blue - and I love it.

Miss_apollo7 said:
Not anymore, you are right about VW. Sold.
But now I have a Toyota Yaris....BRAND NEW!!!! I bought it and it was delivered to me in April....I have had it for only about a month now. I will show pictures soon to post. It is metallic blue - and I love it.

I guess congratulations are in order :cool:

I hope you do lotsa fun drivin around in your new Yaris :wave:

Duo said:
I guess congratulations are in order :cool:

I hope you do lotsa fun drivin around in your new Yaris :wave:

Thank you.... :wave:

VW Beetles, Beer, Eccentricity, they do it almost as well as the English. :)

Oh yeah, and you gotta love their breeds of dogs.

I actually had a pair of shoes, which I used more than 10 years! :bravo:
My father used to drive Volks Wagen Beetle.
He had it for 9 years, and not a single repair was required. :cool:

No brainer ...

Bratwurst
Knackwurst
Blutwurst
Schinkenspeck

Porsche
BMW

Beer ...

.... and (...dear sweet lovely...) Elke Sommer ! (O.K. ..... I'm older than some of you other guys ...!)

Regards,

?W????

I forgot to mention ....

ME !

Had it not been for WWII ........

You lucky people, you !

Regards,

?W????

Kraftwerk
Beer(yet again)
Currywurst(modern sausage)
Engineering
Berlin
Mauritzio(Techno musician)
VW Camper van
Andy Warhol hotel
TV Com tower
Used record stalls in market (records were immaculate)

Sorry, I really liked Berlin!

This thread has been viewed 206303 times.

Back