Greatest French contributions to the world ?

What is/are France's greatest contribution(s) to the world?

• French cuisine

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • French wines

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Cheeses (1000+ varieties, e.g. Comté, Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Boursin...)

• The hot air balloon, the airship & the parachute (all French inventions)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientists (Lavoisier, Pasteur, Becquerel...)

• Philosophy (Descartes,Voltaire, Rousseau, Camus, Sartre...)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • French literature (Hugo, Dumas, Verne, Balzac, Flaubert, Zola, Proust...)

• Painting (Renoir, Cezanne, Gauguin, Monet...)

• Photography (invented by N. Niepce)

• French Cinema (including invention of the cinema)

• Classical music (Bizet, Debussy, Rameau, Saint-Saens...)

• Modern music (Aznavour, Piaf, Vartan, Hallyday, Gainsbourg, Goldman...)

• Constitutional separation of State and Religion

• The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

• The metric system

• Modern Olympic Games (initiated by Pierre de Coubertin)

• French fashion, perfumes & cosmetics (Hermès, Chanel, Dior, Chloé, Guerlain, Lancôme, YSL...)

• French cars (Renault, Peugeot, Citroën, Bugatti...)

• The TGV (high-speed train)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Last edited:
Wellllllllllll, art, philosophy, literature, music, architecture, political ideas, the list can go on and on, france like germany and italy is probaply one of the most influential countries that has shaped europe today, and also englanddd, in fact nietzche joked that France mimed a lot of the liberal british ideas, such as locke, liberalism and what not :p

Montesquieu's theory, classical music, fashion.....

Hmmm, i am a bit ashamed to put this here, but about pont neuf? It's my favorite thing in Paris, so I'll include that as well :p

maybe also the very strict seperation of church and state? A fundemanta and essential upgrade in Europe, and the IDEALS of the french revolution, the fall of the monarchy

Where's the baguette. I rather enjoy their style of bread.

Always been a Francophile ... !

Paris - Best city in the world !

Learned to drive in a French car (Citroen "Traction Avant") have also owned Renaults, and Simcas. All slightly idiosyncratic (you've all heard of the idiosyncratic gearbox... :biggrin: )- but all very French.

French art ... what can one say !

.... and as I have mentioned on other posts ... have always had a penchant (hey! dat's a French woid !) for French cigarettes ... keep the flies away ... !

(Never quite got to like that DeGaulle fellow though ....)

I think one thing not mentioned -has been the Guillotine .... perhaps we should bring it back ... ! Quite humane, quick, presumably painless - but awfully gruesome and delightfully messy ! Just what an instrument of execution should be all about ! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Salut !

Goodness so many wonderful things from the french. :cool: Well, let's see. I've always liked french fashion. Cheese, all sorts of cheese. :cool: And french literature. Especially Victor Hugor, but it seems like he wrote alot of depressing literature. :?

A modern guillotine would be interesting... we already have them in meat plants. Oh yeah, the french provided us with nifty math stuff... All of it great for a right triangle and such.

I'm not sure if I can call it the greatest, but for a lot of people who suffer from constipation or anal hemorraging, nothing beats the French Bidet toilet. Japan only modernized it to warm by electricity and to shoot by tap pressure. :D

dutch baka said:
Fashion !!!

and yeah PARIS is a great city!!!!!!

Fashion yes, especially bags since I have Louis Vuitton bags I am fond of. However, in clothing, I am more into ITALIAN fashion: Gucci!!

Duo said:
I'd say men's fashion is better in Italy than in France :)

SO true, men's fashion especially Armani (suits), Versace (shirts), Gucci (shoes and belts)...These will look great on guys.....(with Moschino sunglasses).. :blush:

Duo said:
I'd say men's fashion is better in Italy than in France :)

Miss_apollo7 said:
SO true, men's fashion especially Armani (suits), Versace (shirts), Gucci (shoes and belts)...These will look great on guys.....(with Moschino sunglasses)..

What errant nonsense !

I am truly outraged at both of you ... !

There has always been only one center for men's fashion; one true shrine dedicated to the dressing of the male form in a sophisticated manner, one real source of grace for all men with taste and class :

SAVILLE ROW, LONDON, ENGLAND !

... and I speak to you as an Englishman (.... who generally slops around ... in a leather jacket ... old "dockers" ..... and burnt out cowboy boots - but ... I did have my moments...!!)

(Sniff!) Regards,

?W????

Sensuikan San said:
What errant nonsense !

I am truly outraged at both of you ... !

There has always been only one center for men's fashion; one true shrine dedicated to the dressing of the male form in a sophisticated manner, one real source of grace for all men with taste and class :

SAVILLE ROW, LONDON, ENGLAND !

... and I speak to you as an Englishman (.... who generally slops around ... in a leather jacket ... old "dockers" ..... and burnt out cowboy boots - but ... I did have my moments...!!)

(Sniff!) Regards,

?W????

Yes, tailored suits from Saville Row is GREAT too....but....but....but.....I hear Prada, Moschino, Gucci, Versace and Armani in my head too. (sorry).

Can't we just dress the men up in them all...please? :blush:

Hmmmm ....

Well ... on behalf of all the other British guys (and Sean Connery, perhaps....)

..... I'm prepared to consider that as ... an apology ... of sorts...

.... and I will let you know if I'm prepared to accept it ... after due consideration .... (provided that you forget all those damned continental names ...!)

Hmmmm.....

?W???? ;) :biggrin:

Sensuikan San said:
Hmmmm ....

Well ... on behalf of all the other British guys (and Sean Connery, perhaps....)

.... and I will let you know if I'm prepared to accept it ... after due consideration .... (provided that you forget all those damned continental names ...!)

Hmmmm.....

(sorry I am brainwashed because of my upbringing...blame the parents..)

I agree that tailored suits from Saville Row is a luxury FOR MEN, and a Dunhill briefcase will look excellent on gentlemen. (my dad has a Dunhill one, which was really going to "Hell" in repairs as it needed to be sent to England because a pocket broke).
However, what about us ladies??....what can Saville Row do for us??? So far, only Gucci, Armani (and all of the CONTINENTAL brands) can support me (and my tastes). :blush:

Sensuikan San said:
Hmmmm ....

Hmmmm.....

Sorry, Sensuikan...I take SOME of it back, as I just went through my closet with my bf, and saw my most "precious"....My ivory BURBERRY TRENCH COAT (and several T-shirts) and my black MULBERRY evening bag!!!

Britain has at least TWO brands to offer me: BURBERRY and MULBERRY!!! :cool:

Well ...

OK then ....

You're forgiven !

Now .... back into the kitchen !

?W???? :hat:

This thread has been viewed 194655 times.

Back