Greatest Italian contributions to the world ?

What is/are Italy's greatest contribution(s) to the world ?

• Navigators (Marco Polo, C. Columbus, A. Vespucci, G. Caboto, G. Verrazzano ...)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Painting & scuplture (Brunelleschi, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raffaello, Botticelli, Caravaggio...)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Italian literature (Dante Alighieri, Petrarca, Machiavelli, Eco...)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Italian food (pasta, pizza, risotto...)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Italian cinema

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The mechanical clock

• The telephone (invented by A. Meucci, not A.G. Bell)

• Optical glasses

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The thermometer & barometer

• Musical instruments (piano, violin, cello...)

• Classical music (Vivaldi, Albinoni, Puccini, Rossini, Verdi...)

• Modern music (Pavarotti, Morricone, Zucchero, Ramazzotti,...)

• Italian sport cars (Ferrari, Bugatti, Maserati, Lamborghini...)

• Italian fashion (Armani, Gucci, Prada, Versace...)

• Ice cream

• Carnival

• Tarot cards

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Last edited:
i chose ''Painting & scuplture'' (+ architecture). for me this is on first place. then, literature, classic music, food (i live on esspreso coffee). what else? sport cars, nevigators, fashion too

I participated in the poll, which was fun and interesting!

My favourite is: fashion (hehe), but second and third place are: classical music and literature (especially Umberto Eco).

I especially love Puccini's operas.

Oh I like so many Italian things, great great country. I would say well the Rennaisance was probaply their greatest contribution to our world, although we can argue about that lets not forget the great italian artists, michelangelo, leonardo da vinci, and also dante's la divina comedia is just too good. Fashion, food, movies,culture, Italy has it all. Also Gramsci's works are very interesting indeed :)

I blame Italy for the fantastic food that I love so much, for oh so many reasons.
The ART! Sculpture... oh its just amazing. The Music... I think I voted for lots of things, so much so that I never realised how much Italian things I really like, I was underappreciating that wonderful country. I think that will be my first stop in Europe. Ok, have to start learning Italian from tomorrow. I will throw everything else out the window.

I voted for lots of things! I love Italian food, it is easy for a veggie to eat Italian. I didn't know Italians invented glasses, but thanks to them I can see! I had to choose painting and sculpture - the world would be a poor place without Leonardo, Botticelli, Michaelangelo and all those guys. And the literature too. The Divine Comedy and The Name of the Rose, to name just a couple of my favourites. I also chose Tarot cards. I thought they were French. I chose them not for the fortune telling side, but because they have inspired so much art and literature, and they are a retelling of a favourite myth of mine.

I agree with Lexico ...

Radio .... without doubt; a stunning contribution.

?W????

well, i could`ve argue about radio - it was invented (better say rediscovered) by Russian Alexander Semyonovich Popov
07.05.1895 was the 1st demonstration or radio reciever at S-Petersburg
in 1899 was established conection through 20 km distance during naval maneuvres on Black Sea
1899 discovered that signals could be recieved through the phone
in 1900 they had stable connection across 40 km, in 1901 over 150 km

Marconi was born in 25.04.1874 So, he just continued the work of his predecessors

:D :D :D

-----------
sensor tube (coherer) was created by english scientist
the same case like Newton said : "i was standing on the shoulders of giants of the past, that`s why i was able to create a theory" (quoted freely)
we should`ve thank Hertz, Branley( sp?) as well

Last edited:
Void said:
well, i could`ve argue about radio - it was invented (better say rediscovered) by Russian Alexander Semyonovich Popov
07.05.1895 was the 1st demonstration or radio reciever at S-Petersburg
in 1899 was established conection through 20 km distance during naval maneuvres on Black Sea
1899 discovered that signals could be recieved through the phone
in 1900 they had stable connection across 40 km, in 1901 over 150 km

Marconi was born in 25.04.1874 So, he just continued the work of his predecessors

:D :D :D

-----------
sensor tube (coherer) was created by english scientist
the same case like Newton said : "i was standing on the shoulders of giants of the past, that`s why i was able to create a theory" (quoted freely)
we should`ve thank Hertz, Branley( sp?) as well

My word!

You appear to be quite correct with that one!

Perhaps the time has come for a "Russian" thread of this kind!

Thanks!

?W????

I would argue that Nikola Tesla invented radio. In 1893 he demonstrated an apparatus for radio transmission and reception during a presentation in St Louis before the National Electric Light Association. Tesla was a Serbian-American, born in Croatia.

yeah, i`ve heard it about Tesla too, and some othe italian who made some things few years earlier thn Marconi, but couldn`t find financial support for further research. Marcony was much more successful in this field, it also takes a talent

cursore said:
And what about the Nuclear reactor? Enrico Fermi's work?

Well, Fermi became an American citizen, did most of his research in the US, with a team of Americans, and isn't the only person to have the nuclear reactor. Of course many countries have had Nobel prize winners, but we cannot include them in this kind of poll - there would be too many of them. Let's concentrate on the contributions really representative of the country or its culture.

Maciamo said:
Well, Fermi became an American citizen, did most of his research in the US, with a team of Americans, and isn't the only person to have the nuclear reactor. Of course many countries have had Nobel prize winners, but we cannot include them in this kind of poll - there would be too many of them. Let's concentrate on the contributions really representative of the country or its culture.

...but you included the telephone, glasses...etc in the original poll...where do they fit in with your statement?

CC1 said:
...but you included the telephone, glasses...etc in the original poll...where do they fit in with your statement?

That's right. Nobody is perfect. :bluush: However, these are inventions made by a single person, not a team basing its research on the work of many other scientists like for the nuclear reactor. Then old inventions like glasses, the thermometre or tarot cards can be considered more "cultural" as inventions travelled less quickly across borders at the time (took a few centuries for paper or black powder to reach Europe from China). The telephone is more arguable...

This thread has been viewed 439558 times.

Back