PDA

View Full Version : Reputation points

Thor
03-06-05, 05:36
I'm seeing members getting their reputation posts trashed for no valid reason. Sure, I think it's a great idea to rate each other on our posts. It's been abused before, I use to be red back in around, July-August because I made some posts that disagreed with the Michael Moore documentary, and the way he does his documentarys. Sure, that doesn't make my post bad. It makes the people who disagree with me upset, and they give me negative reputation points.
Can we just take reputation points off the forum? It's doing more bad then good..
I really don't want to be marked a bad poster because people don't see eye to eye with me, and my posts...
P.S. I'm aware of the disable reputation points function..

thomas
03-06-05, 06:45
Can we just take reputation points off the forum? It's doing more bad then good..
While I wholeheartedly agree with you on this issue, there are a lot of different opinions among the team members. For the time being I recommend you to disable your reputation points.

Tim33
03-06-05, 08:46
That why i disable mine, fair enough i made some ****** posts, but i made some good ones to that people just disagreed with and so marked me down. You can only stay green if you only say what other people want you to.

Elizabeth
03-06-05, 19:01
Especially among the guilty are some who have accumulated a high point level which they proudly display and feel that gives them the privilege of censoring or controlling other lesser members with opposing opinions.

Mike Cash
03-06-05, 20:13
So what's the cutoff point beyond which leaving them turned on becomes a matter of vanity?

Twisted
04-06-05, 21:52
While I wholeheartedly agree with you on this issue, there are a lot of different opinions among the team members.

If that's the case then i hereby support the removal of teh Rep-system.

Members that have been around long enough don't need it to judge who's good or bad. New members probably don't even know what those green dots are all about and have therefore nothing to gain from the system.

kirei_na_me
04-06-05, 22:31
Here are a couple of discussions we've already had about this.

I've never been a big fan of the reputation point system.

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12156&highlight=reputation+points

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12138&highlight=reputation+points

Tim33
05-06-05, 10:33
If that's the case then i hereby support the removal of teh Rep-system.

Members that have been around long enough don't need it to judge who's good or bad. New members probably don't even know what those green dots are all about and have therefore nothing to gain from the system.

Exactly, people that come here enough to actually know what they are probally know already the personalities of the regular poster. I dont need to look at the reputation to know they are an idiot.

However it does add that extra bit of something to do, makes it a bit more fun.
I have disabled mine but i do often give other people reputation to let them know they have made a good contribution or not.

In one way it lets people know when they are out of line or doing good, by this they can improve other posts.

On the other hand it could mean everyone becomes a sheep and has no personality of their own.

alexriversan
05-06-05, 12:22
i like this way of sending short message to people. after a while, they get deleted automatically.

so, reputation occurs as good thing to me.

and, i learned, i am not allowed to write in bad quality- i got some red point.

then i apologized, revised and improved.

more easy sentence, more polite.

then, people have given me good reputation.

sometimes, i make joke, and get green point as well.

Alma
06-06-05, 23:49
when i joined this forum (and that is not so long time ago), i noticed ''green dots'' and wondered what is it all about. but i got dictracted and i totally forgot about it. but later, i saw i got some reputation points (thank you....) and it made me to think about it. i think it is not such bad thing. as i noticed, nobody else can see others reputation, so it is just for my information, what people think about what i said... positive or negative, nevermind... it is better that way, then to just approve or argue on topic. and comments, hmm, made me feel like i am nice person

:blush:

:-)

Dutch Baka
06-06-05, 23:53
i think it is nice to get some kind of respect in this way, and when you get a bad rep,, you can think about what you put wrong in that post... i dont think rep points are that bad, and if you dont like it, just disable it!!!

Alma
07-06-05, 00:23
.... what those green dots are all about....

.... noticed ''green dots'' and wondered what is it all about. but i got dictracted and i ....

i just realised green dot is for beeing online, and grey for offline.... :p

Tim33
07-06-05, 00:53
I dont think its so much that they are not useful but that they are abused.

People use them just because they do not agree. Which is wrong and not why they are there. In this point they serve very little purpose.

Mike Cash
07-06-05, 13:07
Actually, I wouldn't have minded turning mine off, except that at one time there was a mini-campaign urging people to disable them and I hate jumping on bandwagons.

To me, turning them off says either one of two things:

1. "My rep points suck and I don't want anybody to know how low they are."

or

2. "My rep points are real high and I feel leaving them on is immodest bragging."

#1 doesn't apply to me, and #2 strikes me as ostentatious false modesty. Not saying that it actually is a display of ostentatious false modesty on the part of those who turn them off, but just that that is how it strikes me. So I leave mine on. If JREF did away with the system entirely, it would be fine with me.

Elizabeth
07-06-05, 13:49
I dont think its so much that they are not useful but that they are abused.

People use them just because they do not agree. Which is wrong and not why they are there. In this point they serve very little purpose.
For me as well it isn't so much an issue with the total number than with how cheaply they can be earned and taken away (at least not for things I particularly value). :bluush:

alexriversan
07-06-05, 14:59
For me as well it isn't so much an issue with the total number than with how cheaply they can be earned and taken away (at least not for things I particularly value). :bluush:
good student (extraordinary work) gets good certificate.
student which smokes/drinks gets not so good certificate.

generally, i like the option to notify disapproval (by approval), and self-deleting message...

Index
08-06-05, 10:43
Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.

Frank D. White
08-06-05, 13:43
Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.

I always wanted BLUE balls !!

Frank

Mike Cash
08-06-05, 13:58
What? You were never in junior high?

Mycernius
08-06-05, 20:47
I always wanted BLUE balls !!

Frank

Stand outside, naked, in winter and your wish will be granted. I hear you have a little snow in Maine

Frank D. White
09-06-05, 02:12
Lets have the number of balls based on the number of threads the person has started. They would have to count the chit chat section for me to get any though.

Frank

alexriversan
09-06-05, 10:54
Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.well multi-color abberates sometimes.

what i have in mind:

************ counter (including numeric display)
******* entertaining
*** negative
*********** good language
*** disagree
* bad post
********* good quality
** annoying signature

just 1 line (1 or 2 pixel height) for each of the counters
same color for all lines (customizeable)

Thor
10-06-05, 12:47
Yes, I"m just going to proceed to disable my reputation points. You know this wouldn't be so bad, if people didn't have to be so well oppressive about it. I felt alot of pressure when I posted messages when I first came to the forum. I almost didn't want to post anymore in fear of making myself look bad on this internet forum. Now that I think about it, it was stupid of me to think that way. People will sometimes think like that still, so yeah. This is my last post for this thread, I guess it's up to the admin team.
Goodluck guys. lol :relief:

Jack
29-09-05, 11:52
i think it is nice to get some kind of respect in this way, and when you get a bad rep,, you can think about what you put wrong in that post... i dont think rep points are that bad, and if you dont like it, just disable it!!!

i agree, you dont want rep then dont have it enabled, simple enough!
everyone knows you cant repeatedly give rep to the same person, so its not like you get spammed with it, is it?

Revenant
29-09-05, 12:11
I like the rep system, even if I get a few red cards. I can know what others thought of my posts, even if it's negative feedback. Anyways, I'll continue posting with the same opinion, despite continued negative feedback. I'm just that way, and have accrued a total of eight for a couple of posts, just cause the liberals weren't understanding my argument (they agreed with me later). This of course took place at another forum.

Others can honestly give their true opinion without fear of someone getting angry, or upset at them. Sure, it would be better if people could actually articulate their disagreements in posts, but some won't bother.

I also like to let other people know that theirs was a good post, and occasionally that theirs was bad. I usually never sign either good or bad reps though, just so that people remain objective when they read my posts, and disagree when they disagree (I've noticed on other boards that people stopped disagreeing when I had given them some signed positive rep). I put my opinion/beliefs down, and I hope people can actually challenge me to look at it differently.

Tsuyoiko
29-09-05, 16:10
I can't believe people would give negative rep just because they disagree with you. I have always understood that it was for if someone says something personally offensive or prejudiced. I have given positive rep to people I disagreed with before, if they make a clear point. I have never given negative rep, and I doubt I ever will - gotta think about karma! :-)

Kinsao
30-09-05, 10:25
Yeah, I agree with Tsuyoiko.

Also I have never given negative rep. If I disagree with someone, that's no reason to bad rep them, especially if they made their point well, indeed like Tsuyoiko I sometimes gave them good rep in fact! The world is full of people who disagree with me!

If someone is really ignorant and offensive, I didn't even give bad rep, because I just feel sorry for them. If someone be that awful, well, IMO they are missing out on a lot of things and making themself very unhappy. I'd rather argue with them properly - a snappy bitchy comment from me isn't exactly going to make them change any!

Pararousia
30-09-05, 15:28
Not only have folks given me bad rep points because they disagree with me, but they don't have the backbone to sign their name to it. That's really cowardly.

Have you ever noticed that when you put your cursor over the green points that a message pops up? What's up with that? Is it like a futune cookie???

Kinsao
30-09-05, 15:57
Have you ever noticed that when you put your cursor over the green points that a message pops up? What's up with that? Is it like a futune cookie???

Wow! I hadn't noticed that! *dances off, checking everybody's messages*........ :happy:

Revenant
30-09-05, 16:39
Not only have folks given me bad rep points because they disagree with me, but they don't have the backbone to sign their name to it. That's really cowardly.That's usual, and actually, people do it far less often here than at other places. I just don't worry about it, and I must also admit to never leaving my name in the rare bad rep I give, but then I usually never leave my name in good reps either. I used to get one bad rep for every good rep I recieved, and I was one of the people with top rep for a while (at another forum)

Have you ever noticed that when you put your cursor over the green points that a message pops up? What's up with that? Is it like a futune cookie???Interesting, the titles seem to be different here. At another forum, it says things like, 'Jack is a glorious beacon of light', or 'Jack is a name known to all'.

EDIT: Actually, mine says 'Revenant is a name known to all', and Tsuyoiko's says 'Tsuyoiko is a glorious beacon of light'. Pararousia and Kinsao's are however different from the other forum.

Mycernius
30-09-05, 16:59
I have only given bad rep to one person. Shortly afterwords he was banned, because of the rather offensive threads he started, also removed. Apart from that I have never felt the need to give bad rep. If I find the post offensive I will ignore it or try to find a valid discussion point with them. If they don't want engage in a decent discussion then they go into my "He's/she's an idiot" box and I will not continue to try to talk to them. If a post is well written and the views are well put forward, even if I do disagree with what is being said, I will give good rep. Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

lastmagi
30-09-05, 17:03

I always thought it correlates with post count since it's right next to it, but I guess it's more to do with reputation now that I look at some other of those points.

edit: I wonder what those with a lot of bad rep points would get.

Pachipro
30-09-05, 17:48
I have never felt the need to give bad rep. If I find the post offensive I will ignore it or try to find a valid discussion point with them. If they don't want engage in a decent discussion then they go into my "He's/she's an idiot" box and I will not continue to try to talk to them. If a post is well written and the views are well put forward, even if I do disagree with what is being said, I will give good rep. Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

I can't believe people would give negative rep just because they disagree with you. I have always understood that it was for if someone says something personally offensive or prejudiced. I have given positive rep to people I disagreed with before, if they make a clear point. I have never given negative rep, and I doubt I ever will - gotta think about karma!

Also I have never given negative rep. If I disagree with someone, that's no reason to bad rep them, especially if they made their point well, indeed like Tsuyoiko I sometimes gave them good rep in fact! The world is full of people who disagree with me!
My thoughts exactly. I would not give a bad rep to someone for stating their opinion on a particular subject.

Not only have folks given me bad rep points because they disagree with me, but they don't have the backbone to sign their name to it. That's really cowardly.
If you want to see who is giving reputation points all you have to do is donate to Jref through Paypal. It is an added benefit for donators that surprised me. Any amount you could afford would be gladly accepted, and appreciated, I'm sure, as it costs money to keep a great site like this going. With so many members who participate on a regular basis, I'm surprised there aren't more.

I wonder what those with a lot of bad rep points would get.
Their little boxes are red.

duff_o_josh
30-09-05, 17:52
rep points is just a way to try and control what we post on this forum. the people or person who leaves negative rep points because of a clash in beliefs is well...some words wont post because they will give me negative points

Pachipro
30-09-05, 18:15
rep points is just a way to try and control what we post on this forum. the people or person who leaves negative rep points because of a clash in beliefs is well...some words wont post because they will give me negative points
Not really as you could always disable the rep points so it just shows a gray square. This way if someone gives you a bad rep point it would be the same as receiving a PM from them and nobody would know.

I don't think it's a form of control as, if someone is so squeamish (easily offended) about receiving a bad rep point that they won't post because of fear of it, they don't need to be posting on a mature forum. I think one should be able to defend one's opinion if they truly believe in it.

Pararousia
01-10-05, 00:18
Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most. :D

NovaTeacher
01-10-05, 02:52
It seems like@people who are honest on all topics don't have lots of green lights. That's cool.

Revenant
01-10-05, 11:05
It seems like people who are honest on all topics don't have lots of green lights. That's cool.I don't know about that. Certainly, people like MikeCash and a few others are dead honest, and have no qualms about saying they disagree. They have a lot of good rep as well.

There are people who are honest but just come across the wrong way to people at the other end of the opinion spectrum, and I can understand them not getting a whole lot of good rep.

Dutch Baka
01-10-05, 13:46
from the moment i came here, i just recieved 2 neg rep from people, one ... well i dont know why she did, other one was from somebody who was a bit drunk, and wanted to have fun....

am i this nice? or should i open my mounth more ? mmm well i like the idea of getting BLUE balls in here... and that there will come an award for best poster or something, as it might give some more quality to some people ... like me hahahaha.....

btw, who can see who gave them neg rep points? or is that only when you are a donator?

NovaTeacher
01-10-05, 14:18
I don't know about that. Certainly, people like MikeCash and a few others are dead honest, and have no qualms about saying they disagree. They have a lot of good rep as well.

What I meant to say was,
If people have only a few green lights, I assume they speak their mind, direct and not scared of confrontation (or a troll).

I haven't been on this forum long but I can feel some differences.
I think maybe people who care about the green lights talk like those managers who want to be liked by everyone.
On the other hand it does make people think and communicate their ideas in a more harmonious and understandable way.
It's very Japanese.

NovaTeacher
01-10-05, 14:28

When you start letting the number of green lights next to your name control what you say, you're functioning at a lower level.

I guess I'll start giving my votes to people who have the balls to say what they think.

Josh,
I understand that YOUR point was made clearer by not finishing your statement.

Mikawa Ossan
01-10-05, 14:48
Getting good reputation is nice, but honestly, I don't think anyone posts just to get good reputation points. At least I hope not.

I mean, truly, what good do they do you anyway?

Mycernius
01-10-05, 14:55
btw, who can see who gave them neg rep points? or is that only when you are a donator?
From what I can gather it is a privilge you get as a donator

Dutch Baka
01-10-05, 15:08
cool isnt ;)

lexico
01-10-05, 15:44
Getting good reputation is nice, but honestly, I don't think anyone posts just to get good reputation points. At least I hope not.

I mean, truly, what good do they do you anyway?Trade it in for food or meal tickets ? :p
From what I gather, it works a bit like gaming priviledges (Is that the right word ? I'm not a gamer.) The more rep accumulated, the greater the impact of a single rep. to anyone, pointwise. It can work like a huge stock of arsenal, so the higher the points, the greater the power, and the greater the restraint of the opponent in a confontational situation. Machiavelli's maxim of "better to be feared than loved" seems to apply. I am not sure that can be called good; suffice to say there is a game analogy in the rep. system.

lexico
01-10-05, 16:12
When you start letting the number of green lights next to your name control what you say, you're functioning at a lower level.

I guess I'll start giving my votes to people who have the balls to say what they think.

Josh,
I understand that YOUR point was made clearer by not finishing your statement.There's a misspelling in your title, but the content you wanted to convey is new to me, and was worth taking notice. Thanks for the pointer, Nova Teacher.

Wiki: Kohlberg's stages of moral development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlberg%27s_stages_of_moral_development)
Kohlberg's stages of moral development

were developed by Lawrence Kohlberg to explain the development of moral reasoning. He created it while at University of Chicago when becoming fascinated with children's reactions to moral dilemmas. He wrote his doctoral dissertation there in 1958, outlining what is now his stages of moral development.

Kohlberg's theory holds that moral reasoning, which he thought to be the basis for ethical behavior, has developmental stages. Building upon Jean Piaget's previous work, he concluded that there are six identifiable stages of moral development. Later his model was revised and reduced to five stages given there was a lack of responses in studies owning to a clear boundary of the last stage of moral development.

Stages

Kohlberg's stages were broken into 3 different levels, pre-conventional, conventional and post-conventional. According to his model it is not possible to regress backwards in stages. It is also not possible to 'jump' stages; each stage provides new perspective and is "more comprehensive, differentiated and integrated than its predecessors."

Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)
- 1. Obedience and punishment orientation
- 2. Self-interest orientation

Level 2 (Conventional)
- 3. Interpersonal accord and conformity (aka. The good boy/good girl attitude)
- 4. Authority and social-order maintaining orientation (aka. Law and order morality)

Level 3 (Post-Conventional)
- 5. Social contract orientation
- 6. Universal ethical principles (aka. Principled conscience)

Pre-Conventional

(1-2) The pre-conventional level of moral reasoning is especially common in children, although adults can also exhibit this level of reasoning. Reasoners in the pre-conventional level judge the morality of an action by its direct consequences. The pre-conventional level consists of the first and second stage of moral development.

(1) Stage one, individuals focus on the direct consequences that their actions will have for themselves. For example, they think that an action is morally wrong if the person who commits it gets punished.

(2) Stage two espouses the what's in it for me position; right behavior being defined by what is in one's own best interest. Stage two reasoning shows a limited interest in the needs of others, but only to a point where it might further one's own interests, such as "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours." Concern for others is not based on loyalty or intrinsic respect in stage two.

(3-4) Conventional

The conventional level of moral reasoning is typical of adolescents and adults. Persons who reason in a conventional way judge the morality of actions by comparing these actions to social rules and expectations. The conventional level consists of stages three and four of moral development.

(3) In Stage three, individuals whose moral reasoning is in stage three seek approval from other people. They try to be a good boy or good girl having learned that there is inherent value in doing so. Stage three reasoning may judge the morality of an action by evaluating its consequences in terms of a person's relationships.

(4) For Stage four, it is important to obey the laws and social conventions because of its importance to maintaining society. Moral reasoning in stage four is thus beyond the need for approval exhibited in stage three.

(5-6) Post-Conventional

The post-conventional level consists of stages five and six of moral development.

(5) In Stage five, persons have certain principles to which they may attach more value than laws, such as human rights or social justice. In this reasoning, actions are wrong if they violate these ethical principles. Laws are regarded as social contracts rather than dictums, and must be changed when necessary (provided there is agreement). By this reasoning laws that do not promote general social welfare, should be changed. Democratic governments are ostensibly based on Stage five reasoning.

(6) In Stage six, moral reasoning is based on the use of abstract reasoning using universal ethical principles. One way to do this is by imagining oneself in everyone else's shoes, imagining what they would decide if they were doing the same. While Kohlberg insisted that stage six exists, he had difficulty finding participants who use it. It appears that people rarely if ever reach stage six of Kohlberg's model.

Other

Kohlberg also observed that there is a stage 4½ or 4+ which is a transition from stage four to stage five. This stage is where people have become disaffected with the arbitrary nature of law and order reasoning and become moral relativists. This transition stage may result in either progress to stage five or in regression to stage four.

Kohlberg further speculated that a seventh stage may exist (Transcendental Morality) which would link religion with moral reasoning (See James Fowler's stages of faith).

Theoretical assumptions

The stages of Kohlberg's model refer to reasoning, not to actions or to people themselves. Kohlberg insists that the form of moral arguments is independent of the content of the arguments. According to Kohlberg, moral reasoning is a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition for moral action. Additionally, Piaget's stages of cognitive development are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for the development of moral reasoning. It is important to remember that he posits justice as the a priori summum bonum (justice is assumed to be equal with moral virtue).

According to Kohlberg, a person who progresses to a higher stage of moral reasoning cannot skip stages. For example, a person cannot jump from being concerned mostly with peer opinions (stage three) to being a proponent of social contracts (stage five). However, when persons encounter a moral dilemma and find their current level of moral reasoning unsatisfactory, they will look to the next level. Discovery of the limitations of the current stage of thinking promotes moral development.

Criticism

One criticism of Kohlberg's theory is that it emphasizes justice to the exclusion of other values. As a consequence of this, it may not adequately address the arguments of people who value other moral aspects of actions. For example, Carol Gilligan has argued that Kohlberg's theory is overly androcentric. His theory was the result of empirical research using only male participants.

Gilligan argued that Kohlberg's theory therefore did not adequately describe the concerns of women. She developed an alternative theory of moral reasoning that is based on the value of care. Although recent research has generally not found any gender differences in moral development, Gilligan's theory illustrates that theories on moral development do not need to focus on the value of justice.

Other psychologists have challenged the assumption that moral action is primarily reached by formal reasoning. For example, social intuitionists assume that people often make moral judgments without weighing concerns such as fairness, law, human rights and abstract ethical values. If this is true, the arguments that Kohlberg and other rationalist psychologists have analyzed are often no more than post-hoc rationalizations of intuitive decisions. This would mean that moral reasoning is less relevant to moral action than it seems.

duff_o_josh
01-10-05, 17:17
Josh,
I understand that YOUR point was made clearer by not finishing your statement.

its not that i let it get to me, i enjoy this forum a lot. i just think that it is a interesting way of control. even if all i had was negative rep points it wouldnt stop me from posting or put me in fear for things that i say.

Elizabeth
04-10-05, 08:30
What I meant to say was,
If people have only a few green lights, I assume they speak their mind, direct and not scared of confrontation (or a troll).

I think maybe people who care about the green lights talk like those managers who want to be liked by everyone.
This is true to some extent, although a lot of, if not more, members who have disabled their points take that approach as well. Just as many of the more aggressive and confrontational ones are not afraid of showing them off.

On the other hand it does make people think and communicate their ideas in a more harmonious and understandable way.
It's very Japanese.
I personally don't see any difference between now and before the system began.

Mike Cash
04-10-05, 14:09
What I meant to say was,

I can't quite see how you arrive at that assumption.

It's very Japanese.

I hope none of those last three sentences are true.

lexico
04-10-05, 14:18
I hope none of those last three sentences are true.
I think I see your point. Could it be that...
It's very Japanese.... has different topics for each line, 1st about green lights, 2nd about red lights, and 3rd about the strong use of the colored lights to condition modes of communication in a uniquely Japanese way ? Nevertheless, although I can agree about the appearance of harmonious-sounding managers, I am also unsure how understandable he might be. To picture an idea as a harmonious one, when in reality it is not, involves either 1) an insightful reinterpretation departing from the ordinary or 2) a clever play with words that obscures genuine conflict making it seem the exact opposite.

Revenant
04-10-05, 14:57
What I meant to say was,
If people have only a few green lights, I assume they speak their mind, direct and not scared of confrontation (or a troll).I don't look for fights, but I'm not at all averse to saying I disagree, and then attempting to articulate (without attacking the person) just why I disagree. I don't see any point in making a point with an insult, as in many cases, that will degenerate into just a lot of mudslinging. Were I up for simple mudslinging, I'd find a MSN chess room to do that in.

Even attempting to do all that, I have gotten a massive amount of negative rep at another forum. It just had a few very militant liberals, ones who kept on seeing the fairly clear disagreement I was giving. Guess they had their 'evil Christian fundamentalist goggles on', cause I was simply arguing that Christians were not wrong in saying a gay could control their impulses, but that I disagreed with the legislation of Christian morals. They kept giving me negative rep asking how the hell I could legislate my morals. The hell was I going to quit my argument just cause they kept giving me negative rep and missing my argument. After a lot of back and forth posts, they finally understood what I had been saying all along, and agreed with me. (I'm not Christian anymore, but my argument still remains the same, and can be found in this thread (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=257786#post257786)). I will continue an argument I believe in despite negative rep, yet I will try to stay away from simple mudslinging (once in a while I feel I've got to throw it back).

It's very Japanese.Hmmm....well, being liked or disliked will happen, and I won't worry that someone will dislike me, cause it usually happens that one, two, or a few people on every forum I've been to do actually dislike me. Errr, well, I don't know that people will suddenly stop articulating their true opinions just cause someone might redcard them.

Mike Cash
04-10-05, 15:02
Ricky Nelson said it best, perhaps

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

Mikawa Ossan
05-10-05, 12:40
How many people on this forum do you honestly think actively pursue reputation in one way or the other? Put differently, how many people on this forum do you think really are concerned with being liked or not?

I can understand younger members wanting to feel afirmed by their peers; it's a natural desire at a time when you're forming your worldview. It's the same reason that say high school students seem to have an inborn tendency to form cliques. Mankind is after all a social beast.

However, once one passes a certain age, outward recognition often becomes less of a factor in determining one's behavior. Once you've gained a certain amount of self-confidence, it's much easier to take a few hits and have people disagree with you.

Based on this reasoning, I would tend to assume that any member above a certain age would not find reputation to be a factor one way or the other in choosing how he or she writes posts.

Even if someone does care about receiving reputation, what does that matter? Why should I, you, or anyone else be offended by that? Because it's "fake"? Who cares? I would wager that the average poster on this forum will never meet over 99% of the other members here. So what does it matter?

Frankly, I'm quite suprised by how much attention this thread has received. It seems to me that the majority of people are posting the same thing: reputation doesn't matter. And yet we keep posting. Why is that?

Kinsao
05-10-05, 17:04
That's a very good question, Mikawa. Erm..... why am I posting this? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kara_Nari
05-10-05, 17:16
Hahah, im gonna jump on board and have a bit of a say.
Look at me! I got a pretty light green light! Wow, what a surprise!
Its lucky because green is my favourite colour, and im guessing it just goes hand in hand with all the other good things that happened today!
I wonder if it has anything to do with Karma? Yesterday I gave a lovely monk some money, I have no idea what it was for, but anyway, with him being a monk, its bound to be for something good.

After that my luck changed! Everything was going so-so borderline bad, and then not even 12 hours later, everything was looking up!
Wow, I really did go on, accept my apologies, and feel free to go on talking about the pretty green lights.

What if it really represented how many times you'd been abducted by some green slime eating, snot bearing creature??? Heeheh!

lexico
05-10-05, 17:22
[R]eputation doesn't matter. And yet we keep posting. Why is that ?Because there is an injustice in the system, a betrayer among us, a coconspirator scheming to take over the remaining good areas over to the bad guys... by disrupting the rep system, by planting discord, by insinuating this member and that, with doubts, with jealousy, with hatred, and the desire to kill. It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spells it tries to cast upon us unawares. When all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton (http://pds.egloos.com/pds/1/200405/26/16/a0015616_0551513.jpg), the Japanese cousin of Batman. Call out to him, chanting in unison, :nuts:

"O bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again.
Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !" :smash:

Kinsao
05-10-05, 17:25
lol @ you all..... :giggle: ..... Red is my favourite colour - bring on the bad rep!!! :D

Mycernius
05-10-05, 18:03
Because there is an injustice in the system, a betrayer among us, a coconspirator scheming to take over the remaining good areas over to the bad guys... by disrupting the rep system, by planting discord, by insinuating this member and that, with doubts, with jealousy, with hatred, and the desire to kill. It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spell it tries to cast upon us unawares; and when all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton (http://pds.egloos.com/pds/1/200405/26/16/a0015616_0551513.jpg), the Japanese cousin of batman, call out to him, "o bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again. Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !"
Oh dear! Looks like Lex has finally gone mad. Maybe we should have purple balls for those that have lost the plot. The more you get, the closer to a straight jacket you get. Until you make it to fully padded cell status. At that point just stick two pencils up your nose, underpants on your head and type "wibble" on every thread. :nuts: :eek:

Dutch Baka
05-10-05, 18:19
lol @ you all..... :giggle: ..... Red is my favourite colour - bring on the bad rep!!! :D

I cant.. you should be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NAUGHTY THEN... but ... mmm you aren't :?

Mycernius
05-10-05, 23:19
Kinsao being naughty. Hmmmm, I'm starting to get thoughts I shouldn't. :shock: Damn you Dutch for putting them things in my head :okashii:

Kinsao
05-10-05, 23:29
I cant.. you should be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NAUGHTY THEN... but ... mmm you aren't :?

Little do you know....... :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*grabs Mycernius and runs towards the man with the straight jacket* :giggle:

Mikawa Ossan
05-10-05, 23:53
It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spells it tries to cast upon us unawares. When all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton (http://pds.egloos.com/pds/1/200405/26/16/a0015616_0551513.jpg), the Japanese cousin of Batman. Call out to him, chanting in unison, :nuts:

OK, everyone, all together now:

"O bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again.
Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !" :smash:

Kinsao
06-10-05, 09:46
*chants* "O bat, o bat, o golden bat...." :nuts:

:lol: :mad:

Tsuyoiko
06-10-05, 11:12
Wow Lex, looks like you started a cult. Well, I can't beat you, so

o bat, o bat, o golden bat
something about his wearing a hat *can't find a bat smiley*

(or something) :relief:

Mike Cash
06-10-05, 14:09
http://static.flickr.com/1/126922_ecc9fc8a44_m.jpg

Kinsao
06-10-05, 14:18
http://static.flickr.com/1/126922_ecc9fc8a44_m.jpg

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

.......... wibble.............

Kinsao
31-01-06, 00:46
I would like to ask, is it possible to retract reputation points?
I'm asking because my most recent point appears to have disappeared from my list. Did someone change their mind? I'm not bothered if they did, I was just curious, because I didn't know that was possible... :clueless: ... Or can they get subtracted by admin as a punishment for misbehaviour? In which case I would prefer to get a warning pm... :o

thomas
31-01-06, 01:28
I would like to ask, is it possible to retract reputation points?
I'm asking because my most recent point appears to have disappeared from my list. Did someone change their mind? I'm not bothered if they did, I was just curious, because I didn't know that was possible... :clueless: ... Or can they get subtracted by admin as a punishment for misbehaviour? In which case I would prefer to get a warning pm... :o

Here's your answer

=> http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

No one can subtract your reputation points. Check the same thread for the new extended rep system. :-)

suirai
31-01-06, 04:37
What I want to know is where I can add or subtract "performance" points for this server? Sometimes this server reminds me of my TRASH 80 days. Input a command and come back after lunch -- if you're lucky.

Oh well, what's a poor little member like me to do?

suirai
31-01-06, 05:13
This post has not received any reputation. You currently have 58 reputation points.

Okay, my curiosity got the better of me after reading this thread and I went poking around to figure out this "reputation" system, and I must say some of the lines are downright funny. Like the one I found that read, "Add to suirai's Reputation." Now that is funny. I'd say that the use of the word "reputation" in that line is a little odd, no? Anyway, it's cute.

Then I went and found that message above. How in heaven's name I managed to con some of you into giving me "reputation" points is beyond my simple comprehension. I suppose I'm supposed to say thank you, but I'm not so sure what I did.

Anyway, I have absolutely no intention of letting this point system influence me in any way. But that little check of the system was entertaining, I must say.

But about my message about server performance points, that's a different story. I might just start my own "Server Performance Points" thread with comments for each plus or minus awarding of points. For example if this message took too long to type and disappears.

suirai
31-01-06, 05:34
I just thought about something, we modify the word "reputation" with good or bad. So are those 58 "bad" reputation points? I'd better understand if they were.

I know one "reputation" I must be getting:
"suirai just keeps going on and on and on. When's he gonna stop, for gosh sakes? Let's give this turkey 100 BAD REP points. Yeah, that'll shut him up!!!"

thomas
31-01-06, 09:08
What I want to know is where I can add or subtract "performance" points for this server? Sometimes this server reminds me of my TRASH 80 days. Input a command and come back after lunch -- if you're lucky.
Oh well, what's a poor little member like me to do?

Well, sponsor our next Dual Xeon. We'll mention you as Superdonator. :-)

Btw, there seem to be some issues with your keyboard, there are a lot of
in each of your posts.

Carlson
31-01-06, 13:03
i have an extra 5 year old Dell for ya... lol

suirai
31-01-06, 14:13
No problem with the keyboard, but maybe with the keyboardist.

I sent a PM to our Dear Admin.

By the way, Carlson, I see you're still keeping that aircraft aloft even with that Red X I wrote up in your log book. I think missing a wing definitely rates a Red X.

ukbulldog
01-03-09, 01:33
I totally agree. But my rep sux so il disable it :bluush:

Mycernius
03-03-09, 19:38
I totally agree. But my rep sux so il disable it :bluush:
You can longer get negative rep from embers, so I wouldn't worry about it going down. As for getting rep, there are few members on this board and most are not familar with it.
Even if it is disabled people can still give you rep on your posts, it is just not visible to other members.

Invictus_88
28-12-09, 01:27
How on earth do we check our rep and see which posts were thumbed up or down?

Maciamo
28-12-09, 13:40
Go to "My settings" to see if someone left you rep points. The posts that received reputation are all listed by thread title with the comments. Click on thread title to view the actual post.

Negative reputation has been disabled as it caused to many conflicts.