Leicester

furan

basically i'm a big softy
Reaction score
Ethnic group
umm.... i think i got some russian in me somewhere
don't come here... it sucks

.... Newcastle on the other hand....

actually, saying that there's a pretty large easten population in Leicester.... infact the 'ethnic minority' is actually the majoritory in my school :relief:
and when i lived up in Newcastle, you were lucky to find someone from Irland... never mind Japan...... (not that there are many Japanese spacifically in Leicester, but my choir master's wife is ^.^)

that was a bit of pointless information for you

I went there to visit only once because my friend attended De Montfort University.

I must agree, sadly, not my favourite place in England. The clubs were OK, but "downtown" was not as I expected, it was depressing.
I remember I was very surprised to see many people of Indian origin in Leicester.

To tell the truth I cannot stand Leicester. I find it a pig of a place to drive around. They no longer route me to Leicester at work as they know I don't like the place. Sorry to any people from Leicester, but a bucket of instant sunshine is the best thing for the place. :sorry: Nottingham is currently running a close second at the present moment in time.

Mycernius said:
To tell the truth I cannot stand Leicester. I find it a pig of a place to drive around. They no longer route me to Leicester at work as they know I don't like the place. Sorry to any people from Leicester, but a bucket of instant sunshine is the best thing for the place. :sorry: Nottingham is currently running a close second at the present moment in time.

Nottingham second? I thought it was a nice campus though. Another friend of mine moved to Nottingham University to study while I was in Sheffield, and thought Nottingham was great (great campus anyway).

Mycernius, please tell what makes Nottingham boring, as I have only been there once..... :)

Mycernius ...

I think we can agree on Leicester ! (Although 'tis many moons since I last saw that not so fair city ...)

But ... Nottingham ? Always rather liked it! At least it has a castle and some nice pubs .... ( .... or ... it did. 'Tis many moons since I last saw Nottingham, too...) .....

Regards,

?W????

I am not fond of Nottingham because I have to drive around the damn place virtually everyday on my run. It is the Carton side, as it is a ***** to get around in a 18ton lorry. Plus I picked up 3 points on my license from driving in Nottingham. Not happy. In other words my main problem with Nottingham is the traffic problems.

Yea the traffic in notts is pretty crazy.

I only visit friends and family like once a month for a weekend.
Even then its quite busy.
But hey its a city what can you expect?

Not a big fan off cities in general. Although some are easier to drive in than others. Never had much problems in Derby. One of the nicest cities I have been to was Seattle and Tucson (is Tucson a city?)

Mycernius said:
I am not fond of Nottingham because I have to drive around the damn place virtually everyday on my run. It is the Carton side, as it is a ***** to get around in a 18ton lorry. Plus I picked up 3 points on my license from driving in Nottingham. Not happy. In other words my main problem with Nottingham is the traffic problems.

:biggrin: I can understand that.

So ......You wouldn't be too keen on Vancouver, either ! (Traffic Jam Heaven !)

In Sympathy ...

?W????

If someone happens to have pictures of Leicester or other Midlands cities (except Birmingham), I would be very pleased if they could post them here (or mail them to me) to complete my online Guide of England . :p

Ermac said:
Yea the traffic in notts is pretty crazy.

I only visit friends and family like once a month for a weekend.
Even then its quite busy.
But hey its a city what can you expect?

those that moan about traffic, should just go home, traffic cant be helped.

ahh true, but you dont get anywhere moaning about it, if your not going to do anything about traffic then people should just keep quiet.

geno said:
ahh true, but you dont get anywhere moaning about it, if your not going to do anything about traffic then people should just keep quiet.
True, but you don't get anywhere period during rush hours. :p It is human nature to moan and b****. We need to do it every now and then just to vent our stress otherwise it is heart attack and stroke time. If I had a real problem with it I would use the bummer and rant thread.

True, true...

I used to have to drive around Nottingham quite a bit, and I found it kind of tricky to drive in and around... although maybe that's because they were doing a lot of the tram works at that time...

Leicester, on the other hand, I don't mind - but that's probably because I know it, and when you know a place, of course driving in it isn't that much of a problem.

I don't mind Leicester, actually. But partly it's familiarity. I've got kind of fond of the damn place... but I can see why it's not especially attractive to visitors. :bluush:

Incidentally, Leicester railway station got struck by lightning today. :shock:

it did? (waw that's a late coment XD)

umm.... i still hold to my 'leicester's boring' comment....
lived here 3 1/2 years now... and after Newcaslte it's nothing.... but then when you have to come back from Japan to here... it's even more depressing.....

anyway.... i have some pictures for you:
the cathedral
cathedral.jpg

http://www.cathedral.leicester.anglican.org/ - if you wanna know anything about it.... i'm in the choir so... yeah :relief:
but, actually, they have relevence to this forum... they're the people whoe took me to Japan... we toured, and sang in many a church in Janpan, the choir master's wife is Japanese, and the Cathedral helped fund for the refurbishment and reabilitation of the burnt donw church in Toyama so... ^.^

these pictures i took my self, so use them at will... i did take some pictures of the Cathedral... butt he spires having alturations at the moment, so it's surrounded by scafolding and looks hidious >.<

clocktower.jpg

the clock tower... it's in the center of Leicester

highstreet.jpg

the main high street

market.jpg

the market... supossubly the biggest sheltered outdoor market in England... o_O

station.jpg

the station (that suposibly got struck by lightning... o_O)

turkycafe.jpg

small example of some of the architecture in Leicester.... this is the Turkey Cafe.... never been in there, but when it#s about 6 pm... they set up a bubble machine up in the top window and when you're walking down Granby street, there's always all these bubbles.. which is kinda ool for the clubbers i guess....

err.... yeah, that's it... i have more but i'd have to scan them in and i can't be bothered....
and no, i don't go arround taking pictures of Leicester just for fun... i've just finished a graphics project on Leicester, for which i needed pictures......

Leicester does have a wide range of cultures though.....
my school is more than 50% asian... mostly Indian, Pacistany (yes, i can't spell) umm. i don't know what the correct term is for people who live in that area of Asia... but i think you know what i mean...

there a fairly large Chinese comunity... apparently there's a quite big Ukrain sosiety... but i don't know how that works... o_O

ummm.... Leicester Universitys ranked one of the top in the contry... it's Science department's very good...
DeMontford's a pretty good collage i guess.... for basic things such as art foundation... i know a LOT of people in leicester go there to do corses who can't aford University...

ummmmmmm......there#s a small Japanese community...
the education's supposebly pretty good here....

yeah... there you go....

it's ok..... but it's by no means a tourest-y place.... and there are a LOT nicer places to go if you wanna come to England, but not go to somewhere like Manchester, Blackpool, London...... like Hexham.... Carlise...... THE LAKE DISTRICT! *loves it*

k... i'm done being boring now.....

Hey, your pictures are good, especially the first one... the sky looks freakish... as though the Day of Reckoning is here... lol... the cathedral is just about to be struck by lightning maybe... :evil: (I guess God needs a bit of target practice though :worried: :D )

I've only been to Newcastle twice, and once was to the Royal Victoria Infirmary and the other time to the Archives :auch: so... not much chance to see all the interesting stuff there... but yeah I can imagine that Leicester is... very different :( Well, at least we have Blink... whooo, I'd die without that shop, plus the man is nice and gives me chocolate :blush:

I have to say, I love Northumberland, the bit north of Newcastle, no-one seems to go there on vacation because everyone forgets that part of England exists but I really love the coast there. :) It's only countryside really without much action outside of Newcastle but for a couple of weeks it's a gorgeous spot to get away from it all. :love:

lol... I used to get lost in Leicester market... all fruit looks the same to me... :mad: but now I have got used to it I wonder how I ever got lost... I am so stupid. :blush:

I like all the different cultures in Leicester... it makes things interesting... and I think people are not particularly racist here... I mean there are always some assholes who will be racist but in general I think Leicester suffers from it less than many other places. :relief:

Oh and btw, Kairi~vs~Rinoa lives in Leicester, too! :p We ought to meet up with her some time... :)

lol
well, yeah, as i said, the first one isn't a picture i took myself ^^;
i robbed it off the net....

actually... Northumberland is WHERE i used to live.... right on the
Tyne... i just say Newcastle... because... well... when i say Northumberland i always get the question 'where'

and if i say Ovingham to them... they're not very likely to know where that is (the place is tiney... not even 1000 populous)

but that's what i miss it so much... because.... that's where i lived..... *sigh*

This thread has been viewed 18511 times.

Back