A Personal Account of the London Attacks (07/07/2005)

smoke

Read It And Weep
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw the most horrific scenes in London that I have ever seen.
Being of an age where I don't remember (or rather recollect) the IRA attacks or the fire at Kings Cross station what I saw was really my only account of terrorism in London. I am forever thankful that I wasn't directly involved, yet I believe that every Londoner was affected and people across the country and even the world were shocked by what they saw in the rush hour of Thursday morning.
As I sat in my office glued to ever changing and speculative internet news reports, I felt sick to the very pit of my stomach to see and read about my London brothers and sisters, innocent people, caught in amongst this devastation. Also a sense of helplessness overpowered me as I sat unable to even offer the slightest amount of help to people barely miles from where I sat.
When I first became aware of the events, it was thought a power surge had caused explosions on the underground but later as reports of explosions of buses came in it became apparent that London had fallen victim to a terrorist attack. Initial reports stated as many as seven explosions across London including three buses and an explosion at a tube station not far from where I work.
As close and as real as these incidents were to me they still seemed like something happening in another city, in another country. However as the day went on, reality hit with a cold hard slap.
A colleague and friend who sits no further than 20 feet away from me was missing and had not called work or his wife. To come to work he would catch the tube from Edgware Road station (the scene of at least seven fatalities) at approximately the time of the explosion.

Later in the day he was officially reported missing.

At home I scoured faces in crowds and those of the injured on TV news reports in a hope to see...well something, anything.

At present he is still missing and our only hope is that he is one of the unknown injured that are still in hospital, the other possibility is almost unthinkable.

My thoughts and sympathy go to him and his family and to all of those who fell at the hands of the sick, callous and heartless people who brought devastation to one of the finest cities in the world.

The people responsible for yesterday's events should know that they have failed to terrorise the people of London and the UK. We are resilient people and no matter how hard you try to push us down, once the smoke has cleared you will see us still standing...tall and proud.

I must also thank the emergency services. If it was not for their immediate response and amazing preparation more lives would have been lost.

And also thank you to all the people of this forum concerned with the safety and welfare of our London members.

And a personal thank you to Misa J.

Peace
Smoke.

I wish you and your friend's family the best. I hope that he will come home, safe. You all are in my thoughts.

Please keep us updated.

I wish you and many others who were affected by these cowardly acts find the strength needed to make it through. I hope your friend is found alive and well.

I'm glad that you made it through the day safely, and I hope that your friend shows up safe and sound. Stay optimisitc and things will come through alright ^_^.
-lsl3

Thanks for posting and letting us know that you are ok, smoke.
I felt the strength of people in London by reading your post, and it is very encouraging. We all know that you are brave.
I hope you hear about your friend soon.

I am so happy to hear that you are alright, and I am sorry to hear about your co-worker. I didn't lose anybody in the London attacks, but I have lost family to terrorist bombings elsewhere. It's never fun, and once again I am so sorry this happened to London, and the familys of the victims.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's a terrible thing that happened. What the terrorists don't realize is that their attacks only make the stand against them stronger.

And to our brothers and sisters in England, we are with you. Politics aside, after 9/11, it was a great comfort to me that the British people were so supportive of us.

Glad to hear you made it through okay, Smoke. And I agree that the attacks will only fortify Great Britain. Like that old saying goes: "That which does not kill me only makes me stronger." From the blitz to the madness with the IRA, the British know how to survive and prosper in hard times like no one else can.

Thanks to everybody for thier support and kind words to me and those in London and the UK.
Trying to deal with what has happened has been difficult and i have found myself on the brink of tears when seeing those horrific images and reading of survivor accounts.

It will greatly sadden me when i have to ineviatably increas the amount of fatalities in my signature, but i will remain strong as must all across the world when faced with these inhumane acts on civilisation.

smoke said:
As I sat in my office glued to ever changing and speculative internet news reports

On 9/11/01 at about 8:45 am, a friend called us and told us to turn on the TV. As we watched what we thought then was a hellish accident, another plane veered into the other tower. Were we watching a movie portraying some fictional war time event or some alien attack or other such theme? It was unimaginable that we actually saw another plane plow into the other tower. All work activities stopped and we sat and watched all day live coverage of that awful day's events and aftermath.

Smoke, we here know your pain. We here in the US feel what you all are feeling now. When will these lunatics realize that what they do only gives us more RESOLVE. They will NEVER win with these tactics.

When the grief begins to subside, you will rise up, just as you have in the past. We are standing stand shoulder to shoulder with you. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

*HUGS*

Pararousia said:
Smoke, we here know your pain. We here in the US feel what you all are feeling now. When will these lunatics realize that what they do only gives us more RESOLVE. They will NEVER win with these tactics.

When the grief begins to subside, you will rise up, just as you have in the past. We are standing stand shoulder to shoulder with you. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

*HUGS*

Much appreciated man.
The whole civilised world will stand against inhumane acts of terrorism...or at least i hope it will.

Update

Along with the other missing victims of the attacks, my friend Jon has been listed with a photograph in various national newspapers.

From "The Sun" Website

Were the attacks intentionally done to defame a group?

Brooker said:
It's a terrible thing that happened. What the terrorists don't realize is that their attacks only make the stand against them stronger.

And to our brothers and sisters in England, we are with you.

after 9/11, it was a great comfort to me that the British people were so supportive of us.

Hmmm... Or maybe the people who do these things realize their attacks will make people go stand against them or at least the identity they carried?

What if I weared outfits that feature every sign that said I'm a citizen of Great Britain, terrorize an U.S.A. embassy with lots of psychological attacks, then leave my calling card that said I do this under the name of Great Britain and for the good of Great Britain?

Does this mean that I'm fighting for the sake of Great Britain? Do I want to defame the Great Britain?

Do I more good things for the Great Britain or do I defame the Great Britain?

What if I do the terror attack and no one reported it, will the terror encompass more than the people who are closely involved?

Will I able to terrorize the world that way?

What if I didn't do the attack, but the mass media announce that I did the attack?

Will I able to terrorize the world that way? Or maybe to be more precise, who done the terrorizing around the world, since I do no attack at all?

And yes, the more terror attacks occur (it doesn't have to physical), the more people become resistant to fear. The fear factor will only work if one was scared after a long period of no scaring, not during a period of regular scaring.

As for the support to the people of London and the attitudes of the people of London.

And yes, many people around the world support the people of London.

Though Londoners, or at least their older citizens already faced a much more critical situation in the past. So I guess that for them, this is only a small incident.

And yes, this situation proves that Londoners aren't bothered much by this sort of thing, both the younger citizens and the older citizens.

With more incidents (doesn't necessary have to be a bombing, it could have just merely a suspected 'bomber' being arrested), it will make more people don't be bothered much by the bombings and just continue on living with their lives, since they become more accustomed to it.

As for those who become scared over the recent incidents. It might be best to avoid announcement by the mass media, since terror were spreaded that way.

If one has a missing friend or family, it might be best to just contact the authority (the police, emergency service, hospital, etc), family, and friends, instead paying attention to announcement from the mass media.

digicross said:
Hmmm... Or maybe the people who do these things realize their attacks will make people go stand against them or at least the identity they carried?

What if I weared outfits that feature every sign that said I'm a citizen of Great Britain, terrorize an U.S.A. embassy with lots of psychological attacks, then leave my calling card that said I do this under the name of Great Britain and for the good of Great Britain?

Does this mean that I'm fighting for the sake of Great Britain? Do I want to defame the Great Britain?

Do I more good things for the Great Britain or do I defame the Great Britain?

What if I do the terror attack and no one reported it, will the terror encompass more than the people who are closely involved?

Will I able to terrorize the world that way?

What if I didn't do the attack, but the mass media announce that I did the attack?

Will I able to terrorize the world that way? Or maybe to be more precise, who done the terrorizing around the world, since I do no attack at all?

And yes, the more terror attacks occur (it doesn't have to physical), the more people become resistant to fear. The fear factor will only work if one was scared after a long period of no scaring, not during a period of regular scaring.

As for the support to the people of London and the attitudes of the people of London.

And yes, many people around the world support the people of London.

Though Londoners, or at least their older citizens already faced a much more critical situation in the past. So I guess that for them, this is only a small incident.

And yes, this situation proves that Londoners aren't bothered much by this sort of thing, both the younger citizens and the older citizens.

With more incidents (doesn't necessary have to be a bombing, it could have just merely a suspected 'bomber' being arrested), it will make more people don't be bothered much by the bombings and just continue on living with their lives, since they become more accustomed to it.

As for those who become scared over the recent incidents. It might be best to avoid announcement by the mass media, since terror were spreaded that way.

If one has a missing friend or family, it might be best to just contact the authority (the police, emergency service, hospital, etc), family, and friends, instead paying attention to announcement from the mass media.

What a load of waffle.
I'm having trouble replying because i'm not sure what point you were trying to make.
As far as mass media is concerned, of course it will be reported...we live in an age free from propaganda (whether that's a good thing or not is an individual belief) and any events of this scale will be reported, and ultimately that's what terrorists want. If they didn't then they wouldn't claim reponsibility, as for it not being reported...it simply wouldn't happen, events like this wil always be reported, thats why we have news reports, newspapers, the internet, rolling news etc. If you're talking in a "what if" sense, then yes these events would still happen because the ultimate aim of these attacks is to kill and to terorise...media or no media.
As whether these attacks or your hyperthetical attacks would be taken as 'for the good of' or to 'defame' depands on personal beliefs.
If these were al queda attacks then members and followers of al queda and their belief system will see this as an attack for the good of islam. whereas muslims who don't share those beliefs will see the attacks as (I would imagine) an atrocity and be angered by it's tenuous links with islam. Everyone else will see them as hideous attacks on the civilised world.
As for your theories on fear...the older generation fought for a free nation during the second world war and they too will see this as an attack on the free world and a free nation...regardless of age, these attacks have affected Londoners in one way or another.
describing this as a 'small incident' is insulting at best!
People will never become accustomed to terrorist attacks, but they will remain resistant and defiant. The civilised world will stand shoulder to shoulder against these attacks.
And i'm positive that people missing friends or family members do not rely on news reports, calling those action lines will only report a close one missing...until the authorties release the names of the dead then people will have no way of knowing...families and friends find out before it is released to the media (speaking from saddening experience).

to quote you again
Doing that would be living in ignorance and in a make believe world. A preposterous suggestion if ever i heard one.

This thread has been viewed 12725 times.

Back