National obsessions transpiring from cinema

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
It is interesting to analyse the genres and leitmotiv of each country's cinema, and better understand the national subconscious from these observations.

Japan

In Japan, most TV series are soap operas with leitmotif social pressure from the family, work, school or society as a whole - a life of constraints usually filled with jealouslies, conspiring women and a lot of crying and shouting. Series that are not soap operas are the crime and police investigation type. In any case, it is rarely happy, there is little suspense or fantasy, and comedy is almost completely absent. No wonder the Japanese always refer to series as "dorama" (drama) and not just series (although the English word exist in Japanese too, but is scarcely used). The historical series ("jidai geki"), usually set in the Edo or Heian periods, are also dramas concentrating on social constraints and jealousies. They tend a bit a bit less dark than the modern soap operas, though.

As for movies, anything that is not children anime (as opposed to more adult ones in books or some TV series), are also the crime type, usually with more action than the TV series, but also heavily centered on the "wonderful efficiency" of Japanese police. Some films are also family drama.

France

French cinema is all the opposite of the Japanese one. A ridiculous amount of productions are comedies, from the old Louis de Funes and Bourvil films to Les Visiteurs, Asterix or Amelie, just to cite a few internationally famous ones.

The rest are mostly historical movies and literary adaptations, especially from French history and literature. These movies can be as good or better as the Hollywood (just compare the several French versions of Les Miserables with the Hollywood ones). There are also many combinations of pseudo-historical movies and comedies (Les Visiteurs, Asterix...). The few French action movies usually also include comdey (e.g. "Taxi").

Whereas the Japanese usually cry in front of their screen from sadness or strong emotions (sacrifice is a typical leitmoif), French people cry from laughter.

UK

British films can be divided in 2 main categories :

- the big Hollywood productions => usually action (James Bond) or fantastic movies (Harry Potter, Lords of the Ring)
- the smaller domestic productions => mostly comedies (Mr Bean, Monty Python, Bridget Jones' Diary, Hugh Grant movies, etc.). Some movies share the leitmotiv of social classes and poverty (My Fair Lady, Billy Elliot, Full Monty...)

USA

American movies are so numerous and varied that it is difficult to find a typical genre. However, some genres seem to be more popular than others :

- Romance-comedies (often set in New York : Down with Love, Anger Management. Maid in Manhattan, How to lose a guy in 10 days, etc.)
- Teenage stories, with highschool or college life, sex, sports and cheer leaders as a recurrent leitmotif.
- Themes of apolcalypse (Armagedon, Deep Impact, Matrix), aliens (Alien, Independence Day, Men in Black), Cold War or terrorisst attack (series "24"), all with common leitmotif "paranoia".
- Action movies, usually with the police in the 1980's (Leathal Weapon), then with government conspiracies and drug dealers.

You forgot to mention the biggest movie industry in the world: Bollywood. Though, there is a very very very common theme in Bollywood films (all my Indian friends agree): romance film where someone dies, someone gets married, and lots of really random dance and singing scenes. And it's no exaggeration when I say 90% of the films are like that.

I think lone is right, but I guess it's easy to overlook Bollywood productions. I've seen a couple good Indian films, and I'm not talking about "Bend it Like Beckham" or " "Bride and Prejudice" although they were good films. But on with types of cinema, from what I learned there seems to be alot of drama films. And romantic comedies.

lonesoullost3 said:
You forgot to mention the biggest movie industry in the world: Bollywood. Though, there is a very very very common theme in Bollywood films (all my Indian friends agree): romance film where someone dies, someone gets married, and lots of really random dance and singing scenes. And it's no exaggeration when I say 90% of the films are like that.

Yes, I know, I have spent 5 months in India. :relief:

Maciamo said:
Yes, I know, I have spent 5 months in India. :relief:

What were you doing in India? :blush: Did you get the chance to see some films? Whenever I have the chance I take the time to watch ZeeTV but, I would really like to see more Bollywood films. :p

Very little USA cinema is of good quality these days. All seem to be designed to promote excessive emotional release in the viewers. Intellect is a minor component of US cinema.

This thread has been viewed 8707 times.

Back