Money Vs Happiness

smoke

Read It And Weep
Reaction score
If like me your stuck in a dead end job that bores you out of your tiny little skull :20: however, it pays the bills. I was speaking with my girl today (actually i think i was more wallowing in self pity) and she said get a job that makes you happy, don't worry about the cash. She said that she'd love to do Gardening for a job but the money is awful so it's just not possible. At the moment she's in a job that she likes (started recently) so that has also swayed her away from the idea.

I was just curious on peoples opinion. Have a job that keeps you reasonably 'comfortable' but not particularly happy? or Have a job that leaves you short on cash but you enjoy?

I know it's easy to say "Go for happiness" but there are obvious financial commitments.

Your Thoughts?

Peace
smoke

I prefer to go with a job that makes me happy, and is also comfortable at the same time. As a matter of fact if I continue to follow my dream, I shouldn't have any problems. ^____^

Doc

Career is important for some people, but not for me. I prefer having a job with steady income(not that I'm making a lot, money is just not important for me) even though it's not as exciting as you wish and enjoy my own time with things I like to do.
I often try to find ways to make my job more interesting and fun by trying something new too.

I've had jobs that kept my brain occupied even after I got home before, which I enjoyed very much, but I got burned out.

Last edited:
I have a boring job with crap pay! But like Misa, I don't care about career. I have nothing to do at work anyway, so it gives me plenty of time to waste on JRef! But I am working on my dream of having my own jewellery design business - I've done a couple of stalls and got a few more booked - that's what I really want to do.

Tsuyoiko said:
But I am working on my dream of having my own jewellery design business - I've done a couple of stalls and got a few more booked - that's what I really want to do.
That's awsome! :cool:
Creative mind will lead you to a success, Tsuyoiko. I like making clocks with Sculpy, but they are kind of strange looking, so I just give them to people as a gift.

I know the combinations will be almost infinite in number ranging from (money happy) (--) (-+) (+-) (++) and not to forget all the in betweens. My current situation is that there is little possibility of having (++), but I can reasonably get by with (0, ++) that is bare minimum income and maximum satisfaction.

I had wasted years putting off my studies always telling myself I can always come back, and that didn't happen. So after that I figured life is short, and I should do what I would not regret on my death bed. So I tried living dirt poor, and poured maixmum time into my thing -- I got a fairly good grasp of the Confucian classics, and that was very fulfilling for me. I'm not promoting premature retirement or early retreat to a hermit life style, but since my bodily functions will only go down with time, I'd choose to do what I enjoy most while it lasts. Weakening vision is also a concern. A little misery towards the end of my life wouldn't be that miserable if I hurry now.

Anyway, to make my reply meaningful, if you have some kind of pension plan provided, and you know what you enjoy and value most, I'd say do it without regret. Time is not something you can buy later on once it's spent, you are old, and too weak to do it -- whatever that may be. I know myself well enough that I wouldn't last long in a job that I don't appreciate; and without my heart in it, the job won't appreciate me either. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I Think There Are Days When Even A Job You Love Can Suck?

I work in a job I really love, been doing it for going on 11 years now; taking care of very sick people in their homes. I sometimes get upset with a system that pays us less then a person who works at McDonald's flipping burgers I'll admit. I don't think I could live on $8000 US a year, so I'm glad my wife supports me so I can do a job I like. In my younger days I ran a business with my dad that bought in a LOT of money, but I was stressed out and depressed all the time. It seemed money went hand in hand with worry & problems, it definately didn't buy happiness.

Frank

:souka:

Ooh I like this thread. Ideally I would love to be doing what I love right now... which is working in Film and Television, but first I have to go to school and do intensive Korean (which is where the money issue comes into the equation) soo.... until then I am happy now, with 0 money. Its sunny, its friday and I can sleep over at the beach which guarantees me the best spot for sunbathing tomorrow!
However the way things are looking, I could be actually doing what I really want, in about three months, which is making me more happy.

Smoke said:
I know it's easy to say "Go for happiness" but there are obvious financial commitments.
Doc said:
I prefer to go with a job that makes me happy, and is also comfortable at the same time. As a matter of fact if I continue to follow my dream, I shouldn't have any problems. ^____^
Tsuyoiko said:
But I am working on my dream of having my own jewellery design business - I've done a couple of stalls and got a few more booked - that's what I really want to do.
lexico said:
Anyway, to make my reply meaningful, if you have some kind of pension plan provided, and you know what you enjoy and value most, I'd say do it without regret. Time is not something you can buy later on once it's spent, you are old, and too weak to do it -- whatever that may be. I know myself well enough that I wouldn't last long in a job that I don't appreciate; and without my heart in it, the job won't appreciate me either. But that's just me.
misa j. said:
Career is important for some people, but not for me. I prefer having a job with steady income(not that I'm making a lot, money is just not important for me) even though it's not as exciting as you wish and enjoy my own time with things I like to do.
Frank D. White said:
In my younger days I ran a business with my dad that bought in a LOT of money, but I was stressed out and depressed all the time. It seemed money went hand in hand with worry & problems, it definately didn't buy happiness.
Kara_Nari said:
However the way things are looking, I could be actually doing what I really want, in about three months, which is making me more happy.
As my signature says "Do What You Love, and You'll NEVER Work Another Day In Your Life."

I Used to care about career and money, because we never had any $ growing up so I decided that I would be the first one in our family to do something about it. Also, it was what was ingrained in us as kids: Get a good education, get a good high paying job and you'll be happy.

So I did. And you know what? It doesn't lead to happiness in my opinion. In the beginning, it was fun and challenging and the money, prestige, and position were good. Soon I began to learn the little intricacies of big business and business politics and discovered that you can't get anywhere in business unless you suck up, kiss ass, "yes" your superiors and scheme to knock them off the ladder so you can move up. Remember, in climbing the ladder of success, if you look up you are looking directly at somebodys ass. You either kiss it or kick it off the ladder. And if you look down somebody is doing the same to you.

The stress and long hours were awful and it began to take a toll on me, my health, my attitude, and my marriage. I used to wake up in the morning dreading going to work and thinking of ways to get out of it. Sometimes I would call in sick or just leave early. I began to think that having a good career was a bunch of crap if you didn't enjoy it.

However, I had a dream of making alot of money and retiring early to enjoy life. So I stuck it out, we saved our money, invested wisely, and never wasted a penny on frivolous things that we didn't need. While others were spending every penny they made on outlandish toys, eating out and such and were constantly in debt, we just did without. We practiced "delayed gratification" and the only debt we had was our mortgage.

Eight years ago we reached that goal when we paid off our 30 year mortgage in 8 years. Being completely debt free, I was able to chuck my crappy job and persue my boyhood dream of driving big trucks long distance. The money was far less than I was making previously, but without any debt who cares? Everyone except my wife thought I was nuts.

It was tough in the beginning as I was away from home five nights a week, but I enjoyed every minute of it. My wife was happy because I was happy and our relationship improved tremendously.

After a few years and a little seniority, I am now home every night. I drive 7 1/2 hrs a night and I couldn't be happier. I get paid to do what I love and what I used to do for fun on the weekends to relieve stress.

Come to think of it, even if I didn't have a college degree, I think I still would've ended up doing what I'm doing anyway. I may not have alot of money in the bank and such, but I would be happy and would still be making enough to support a family and save some money if the wife was also working.

The funny thing is I am now comfortable enough where I could retire right now and be comfortable for the rest of my life, but to tell you the truth, I have no desire to as I throughly enjoy what I am doing. I look forward to going to "work" and never scheme to take a day off. We could buy whatever we want, but we don't because it just doesn't seem important to spend so much money for a depreciating asset unless we really, really want or need it.

So my suggestion for being happy:

1. Stay out of debt (Being in debt makes you a slave. As the bible states: "The borrower will be slave to the lender."

2. Live within your means.

3. Find a job that you truely love even if it doesn't pay so much. You'll be much happier with less stress.

If you truly must work in a job that you despise because you need the money, suck it up with a goal in mind of saving every possible penny/yen/yuan, etc. to get you out of it. Do without the extra pizzas, eating out, the extra fees for Showtime and HBO which show only the same crappy movies agaian and again, the fancy TV's and furniture, the expensive cars and jewelery, the name brand clothes and such. You'll be glad you did in the long run. However, your partner must be on the same wavelength as you. If he/she is spending everything you make it's useless.

My observation of people over the years is this: The majority of people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like. Weird, but true.

Don't be one of them! :wave:

Wow, superpost, Pachipro. This thread was made for you to reply ! :biggrin:
And we've fially got to see the story behind your sig. :cool:

Pachipro said:
So my suggestion for being happy:

1. Stay out of debt (Being in debt makes you a slave. As the bible states: "The borrower will be slave to the lender."

2. Live within your means.

3. Find a job that you truely love even if it doesn't pay so much. You'll be much happier with less stress.
My observation of people over the years is this: The majority of people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like. Weird, but true.

Don't be one of them! :wave:

That is entirely my philosophy Pachipro. Debt is a means of controlling the masses. :eek:kashii:

Im going to print that out Pachipro and put it in my wallet, and my attach it to my bank card and have one in every handbag I own. Hell im going to plaster it to the subway and the streets of Busan so that I can read it everywhere I go!

i also prefer a job that makes me happy then for the money.... cause when i come home in my small home with a nice smile on my face seeing my beautiful wife i am the most happy person in the world ....

money is nice, but you dont need more then is needed to be Happy .. well i dont need it.

the Job i have now, i am not happy with i mean i am a full time cleaner in an office.. cause the money isnt bad, and the boring, easy job makes it easyer to study for me in the evening.. its just for a year so i dont care anymore,, but if i needed to do it all my life,, i wouldnt be happy, and it would infect my marriage for sure.

when i got my first job when i was 17 i worked at a sawmill and i made triple the minimum wage, i was happy young and naive(i still am ofcourse) i didnt save a single penny. when i first came to japan still being young and naive i ran out of money fast, i was soon taught a lesson, i dont need money just for me i can live with barely anything. I was happy. now as i plan to go home and start my studies i realize that while i am still young and healthy i need to make as much money as i can, because it leads to stress and i can handle it better while i am young. when start to have a family i will settle down and have a reasonable job so i can be happy. i think there are different times for all of us to make the decision between happiness and money and hopefully a time for both!

Find a job that you truely love even if it doesn't pay so much. You'll be much happier with less stress.

I prefer having a job with steady income(not that I'm making a lot, money is just not important for me) even though it's not as exciting as you wish and enjoy my own time with things I like to do.

I'm with misa.j on this about a job being primarily a means to enjoy other aspects of life. I don't love mine by any means but there is very little stress, it pays much better than comparable positions, allows me to listen to Japanese news on the job (the real selling point :) ), and take off any time I need to go there.

Being out of debt of course making it all possible....my wonderful parents paid off the 30,000 and rapidly rising student loan a few years ago, for which I will be forever greatful....:bow:

well...unless you live in the countryside, money is important to most people surviving in the world!

I posses the skills to survive with little money, however, my wife doesn't prefer the country.

I left a job years ago as a DJ. It was the best job I have ever had...but at the time the money was not that great. Now the money is good, but I'm not as happy. But the money is necessary to support the lifestyle. If you are capable of living with less, then happiness is definitely the way to go! Luckily I'm right in the middle...I'm not rich, but I'm not miserable in my work either! :)

oh, it's interesting... I think most people would choose happiness over money (although agreeing that a little amount of money is necessary for some of things you enjoy in life!).

Personally my job I would say is 'ok', it falls somewhere in the middle of being not so boring that I'm just doing the same thing all day, but not so high-powered and 'challenging' (I'm using the word a bit sarcastically) that I have to work all the hours of the day and still have work worries buzzing around my head at night.

I guess then you can say I have a 'comfortable' job, the pay is... well, it's ok actually (it goes up on annual increment, so every now and then I get pleasantly surprised by how much it actually is in fact!). But it isn't really high pay... it's more than the national minimum wage... but I don't think it's considered high... even though it seems like more than enough to me! lol.

Personally I work for money rather than because I love my job. I want to have money so that I can pursue my hobbies outside of work. I use my pay to buy food, bills, music, art materials, train fares so that I can see my friends, alcohol, entry fees for entertainments, clothes, and, unfortunately, things like computer repairs... (!) Happiness is far more important to me than money, but I also accept that if I didn't have any money, or only just enough to live on barely, a lot of my hobbies would go down the pan just because I wouldn't have enough cash to support them.

On the other hand, I know I will never have a high flying 'career', always a 'job'. Because time is very important to me. I need a job where I have a (reasonably) fixed start and finish time, I can go home, forget about work and get on with my life. After all, that's what I'm working for! So I feel quite contented that I've found the happy medium. Except... need I say it... I still never feel as though I've got as much time as I want to have...

Great comments and ideas. I can add nothing other than two things, one, that I'd go for the good balance, and two, the most recent issue of Science, vol 309, p 1322, had this under Money Can Buy (Some) Happiness :

"Firebaugh and Tach [the two researchers] concluded that money makes people happiest when they have more of it than those in their [income] bracket. But it's not as important as health or marriage, they reported last week at the annual meeting of the American Sociolgical Association in Philadelphia." hummmmm... this must be some average too, I wonder.

i also prefer a job that makes me happy but money is also important.

I am poor and happy.
But what makes me mad is that there are people who are rich and happy.

Pablo Picasso sums up my feelings - "I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. "

This thread has been viewed 39660 times.

Back