PDA

View Full Version : If you could learn any language...

smoke
25-08-05, 19:56
...apart from Japanese, what would you pick and why?

I'm a bit stuck because my heart says French (i know a little - tres miniscule) because i find it such a sexy language...especially with women (there's logic there i swear) but my head says Spanish because it's the place i visit most often (call me a typical British holiday maker if you will!).

What would you choose?

lexico
25-08-05, 20:09
French or Spanish seems a fine choice because either way there's a high chance you will use it to good purpose. [Now wait; are you asking for advice ? Definitely go for Spanish so you can use it. You could learn it faster that way; paving your way for a second latinate language such as French, Portuguese, Italian, etc. Besides, aren't there Spanish beauties, too ? ]

I've tried answering similar "what language" threads before, but this is a great chance to talk about something different. How about doing one totally different, unrelated from any language I know ?

For a truly exotic language, I'd go for one of the language isolates or one of an isolated language group. Basque would be interesting, although it's supposed to have many loans from Spanish/French (?)... I hear Basque has some following among the Japanese.

smoke
25-08-05, 20:15
all i know of Basque is the seperatist/terrorist group 'Etta' from the Basque region. But, seeing as the region falls somewhere between france and spain (i believe) i can imagine the influence.

Tsuyoiko
25-08-05, 20:16
I already have a list! After Japanese I intend to learn Welsh and then Russian. Welsh because I live near to Wales, Russian because it sounds sexy!

Frank D. White
25-08-05, 23:28
My next door neighbor for the last 15 years has been a Cambodian family. They are very nice but we can't communicate as well as I would like to. I haven't been able to locate a Cambodian dictionary and would probably murder the correct pronounciation anyway.

Frank

:blush:

Kara_Nari
26-08-05, 06:18
Ooh Uncle Frank, Cambodians a great language to learn! I would love to extend my knowledge of the Khmer language! :( Im forgetting all that I learnt already. Next year I would like to live there for about 4-5 months. You would be more than welcome to come and visit. One of my favourite and at the same time least favourite places in the world. Please dont ask me for an explanation, you have to see it to believe it!
I would also like to learn Chinese, and a European language. Russian would be great too, but maybe I could learn that in Korea.

kinsey87
26-08-05, 11:40
The first language I would most probably like to learn would be latin, then followed by chinese or enochian for specific reasons, since these languages have beena large interest to me for a very long time. Is Enochian classed as a real language?

lexico
26-08-05, 11:51
The first language I would most probably like to learn would be latin, then followed by chinese or enochian for specific reasons, since these languages have beena large interest to me for a very long time. Is Enochian classed as a real language?I found the study of Classical Greek and Classical Chinese most rewarding. The fine ideas expressed by the great minds and their disciples are, in my opinion, what make the study so gratifying. Plato and Confucius rule !! But there are other writiers no less genuine and exciting to follow. :cool:

As for Enopchian, I hear it for the first time. Here's what I found in wiki. Enochian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian)
Enochian is an occult language popularised by John Dee and Edward Kelley in the 16th Century. Dee and Kelley claimed that it was revealed to them by angels, though most contemporary practitioners of magick consider it a constructed language. The name "Enochian" is a reference to the Book of Enoch, a pseudepigraphal text and a major source of Judeo-Christian angelology.

Tsuyoiko
26-08-05, 11:53
The first language I would most probably like to learn would be latin, then followed by chinese or enochian for specific reasons, since these languages have beena large interest to me for a very long time. Is Enochian classed as a real language?

I don't think Enochian is a 'real' language, I would class it with Esperanto and Klingon. But it might still be fun to learn!

kinsey87
27-08-05, 17:36
yep, that is what I was thinking, I first heard of it when reading about Dr John Dee, and later, with the Golden Dawn.

Jungle Boy
28-08-05, 03:21
Definatly German. My family is mostly from Germany (the rest reside in Latvia) and I used to speak my native tongue when I was younger but living in a english speaking country doesn't really help a young kid remember alot of German. It would be very nice to re-learn my native language.

Mike Cash
28-08-05, 03:26
Portuguese, because it would be very useful in Japan.

rose_of_eternity
29-08-05, 18:33
Well uh, I know... Ukrainian, Russian, English, French and just starting Japanese... If I go onto a 6th language, I think it'll be Korean. 1) Like 80%+ of my friends are Korean 2) there are alot of koreans everywhere in general 3) its similar to japanese, so it should be easier to learn 4) its a cool language 5) my girlfriend is korean :D:D:D

WHEATTHlNS
01-09-05, 06:05
CHINESE - for purely economical and political reasons.

monrepo
05-10-05, 22:42
I'd like to learn chinese. I like the chinese culture.

Colin
05-10-05, 23:06
I would like to learn Korean. I have Korean friends and it would be nice to have conversations with them in Korean and I find Korean culture and history fascinating. Additionally, I think Korean just sounds cool, and it would assist me when watching Korean dramas and music videos!

German would be my next language to study, for many of the same reasons as my desire to study Korean... I am interested in German culture and I think the language itself has a unique sound to it. It would be especially fun to have the ability to shout random nonsense in Deutsche (those Germans sound so serious when they're yelling!).

ax
06-10-05, 14:43
does the language of love count?

cupix

Shirahime
24-10-05, 07:59
I wanna learn Russian and Germany,,,

but my father always says, "Chinese! Chinese!"
sigh,,,

Gaijinian
10-01-06, 06:14
Mandarin, the 國語 type-- I'm going to Taiwan for a year!
...but then again, I guess that will force me to learn it...

Then, I should choose Korean; know a three Asian languages...

Or maybe Arabic, so I could have at least some understanding of the Middle East.
...or, maybe Hmong, as there is a decent amount of Hmong kids in my school, and I'd be great if I knew what they were saying/could talk to the in Hmong... Most of them speak English, but still, it'd be cool...

My father tells me that I should learn a European language, though... Then maybe... French; it sounds so elegant. However, considering the fact that I can barley spell English words, French seems like a stretch.

Mikawa Ossan
10-01-06, 11:05
There are so many languages I would love to learn if I had the time and resources! Languages open your mind in a way few other things can.

The two languages at the top of my list are Mandarin and Portuguese.

Mandarin so I can speak to my new sister-in-law's family, and Portuguese because it would help out a lot here in Japan.

After that, it just would never end...Korean, Tagalog, French, German, Sinhalese, Spanish, Swedish, Arabic, etc., etc., etc....

nice gaijin
10-01-06, 11:34
I would be very interested in learning Mandarin for practical reasons, especially it's spoken by the most people, and kanji permeates several other languages. After that I'd say the romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian) followed by German, then maybe Hindi, Russian, and Arabic. I'd love to be able to read classical texts in their native languages.

No-name
13-01-06, 00:46
I could really use Spanish in my work.

Clawn
13-01-06, 03:22
I'd have to go with Chinese and Indian for economical reasons and Latin for my love of history.:cool:

Anchyyy
13-01-06, 09:16
I would learn Chinese or Spanish. Well i can speak Spanish a bit yet, but i could really improve it in taking some classes :p

~Hezaa~
06-02-06, 04:59
Either German, because a lot of my family is from there and i can properly produce the correct rolls of the tongue, or Latin, because I would love to know a lost language and it's just plain interesting.

-rika- shinya`
07-02-06, 00:40
wow, it's good to see that so many people wanted to learn chinese! :cool:

im learning japanese and i hope that i can use it fluently in time to come.

PaschalisB
18-01-12, 17:10
French, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Persian

PonosBosne
13-02-12, 21:36
Want to learn the Ruski ljezik!

hope
24-03-12, 02:21
If I could really pick the languages , I wouldn`t be greedy ....just ALL the old P and Q Celtic ones!! LOL ! Seriously think how easy it would be to transcribe the scripts and stones if you knew the languages that were used then just as well as you know your own!
Apart from that "dream" I would like to be fluent in Russian and German :)

Keegah
24-03-12, 07:38
Strange question. I can't think of any reason you couldn't start learning any language right now. Don't say lack of time, because short lessons at a regular pace are the best way to learn anyway.

Right now I'm learning Irish. At some point I'd like to learn the other Celtic languages, primarily Welsh and Scottish, but I'll probably start lessons in Russian before that - if for no other reason than I inherited a Rosetta Stone for the language from my mother. I imagine Scottish will come quickly after learning Irish, given their close relationship. I'd like to continue learning French at some point. I took courses in it back in school, but after the courses ended, I dropped the language entirely. I never attained fluency, but I love how the language sounds and flows off the tongue. As someone mentioned earlier, Basque would be an extremely interesting language to learn also.

hope
28-03-12, 01:54
Strange question. I can't think of any reason you couldn't start learning any language right now. Don't say lack of time, because short lessons at a regular pace are the best way to learn anyway.

Right now I'm learning Irish. At some point I'd like to learn the other Celtic languages, primarily Welsh and Scottish, but I'll probably start lessons in Russian before that - if for no other reason than I inherited a Rosetta Stone for the language from my mother. I imagine Scottish will come quickly after learning Irish, given their close relationship. I'd like to continue learning French at some point. I took courses in it back in school, but after the courses ended, I dropped the language entirely. I never attained fluency, but I love how the language sounds and flows off the tongue. As someone mentioned earlier, Basque would be an extremely interesting language to learn also.

Have you any particular reason for wanting to learn Scottish (Gaidhlig) Keegah or do you just like learning languages for your own pleasure? I am learning Gaidhlig at the moment, it was hard at the beginning but then it just clicks Good luck with it :)

Riccardo
02-04-12, 16:19
I speak Italian (mothertongue), Spanish (fluently) and English (good level, but not exceptional). I started to learn French this year and I found it sooo much more difficult compared to English and Spanish.
I'd like to learn Portuguese or Catalonian that are really similar to Spanish, so it would take me short time. It would be interesting to study Russian, Chinese and German too, but I think it would be really difficult. I'm curious about the Basque language.

Keegah
16-04-12, 07:20
Have you any particular reason for wanting to learn Scottish (Gaidhlig) Keegah or do you just like learning languages for your own pleasure? I am learning Gaidhlig at the moment, it was hard at the beginning but then it just clicks Good luck with it :)

I enjoy researching the Celtic nations in general, and that's part of why I want to learn their languages. Learning any language other than your own native tongue is enjoyable and beneficial though, as you said. Right now I'm learning Irish mainly because that's my father's primary ethnicity, but afterward I'd like to learn Scottish to be able to better research the full reach of the Gaels. I'm just curious - as an Irishman, why are you choosing to learn Scottish rather than Irish first? Any particular reason?

Cheers. :)

hope
16-04-12, 11:18
I enjoy researching the Celtic nations in general, and that's part of why I want to learn their languages. Learning any language other than your own native tongue is enjoyable and beneficial though, as you said. Right now I'm learning Irish mainly because that's my father's primary ethnicity, but afterward I'd like to learn Scottish to be able to better research the full reach of the Gaels. I'm just curious - as an Irishman, why are you choosing to learn Scottish rather than Irish first? Any particular reason?

Cheers. :)
Well you have really answered your own question there Keeagh, learning any language is fun.

Monsieur Ennui
03-08-12, 03:02
I would like to learn the languages of all my ancestors (Gaelic, French, German, Polish, Russian and Hebrew). I hope to be fluent in French by the end of the year. Next I would probably finish my German (I know very little, but still more than any of the other languages).

Although my next language is probably going to be Spanish. I currently work for a Mexican-owned company, and if I want to get ahead, I will need Spanish.

shannonwells830
18-09-12, 09:21
Between French and Spanish? I go for French because it is the language of love as they say.

traveldiva379
01-10-12, 15:55
I currently speak , French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, these are all Latin based so its cheating a little bit, but i would love to learn german, because of how different it is to latin based languages.

Ha-Nasr
03-10-12, 01:35
i want to learn Tamazight(atlas berber)because it's part of my heritage ,and also German and Dutch :)

Alan
03-10-12, 04:26
I was going to say Japanese :laughing:

Ruiy
03-10-12, 20:34
For a speaker of any Indo-European language is not too hard to learn, in one degree or another, any of the other languages ​​of this family; anyone of them: Romance languages​​, Nordic, Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Baltic or Balcanic, etc..
That is, we know, by the similarities morphological, syntactic and lexical, reason why are grouped in the same family: The Indo-European.
¿But what about the Afro-Asian languages​​?

PrinceWho
04-12-12, 15:14
probably Japanese.
since Japanese culture is so attractive. (especially with their good manners)
and want to travel to japan but speaking in Japanese.

I had mastered a Asian language Cantonese (the Hong Kong one)
so I just want to learn other foreign language then.

coach
06-12-12, 18:31
French. It's classy. But so far i learned english and deutch. And little bit ukrainian and croatian.

Chris
22-02-13, 20:24
French, because I like the language and culture. I've studied Japanese and Spanish, but much prefer French.

AdeoF
06-03-13, 21:40
Sadly I don't know full Spanish so I would like to learn more Spanish because it's my blood and also Galician for the same reasons.
I would like to learn Breton because it's a Celtic language and I enjoy Celtic culture and Brittany and Galicia have things in common.
Also other Romance languages like Italian (i know a bit of Italian) and French because I enjoy the languages and comparing them.

martinmkp
07-03-13, 07:32
I would definitely choose:
English - the No. 1 language of the world communication
Chinese - will become the most important after English soon
German - because I like it (past family connections)
Spanish - important not only in Latin America but the US as well

Additional languages:
Arabic - for those wishing to work in the Near, Middle East, North Africa or in Governmental Services

toyomotor
11-05-13, 05:20
Although I would like to learn Spanish and Italian, my first preference would be Russian. I have little difficulty getting my tongue around Russian words but the Cyrillic writing may be a different matter.

Jayc
27-06-13, 11:08
I'd like to learn Attic Greek. It would be interesting to read the texts of Plato, Heron, Socrates, Hippocrates, etc.. in the original Greek form, not translated to Modern Greek or English.

13-08-13, 13:26
Even though it wouldn't be very useful in my daily life, I have always wanted to learn Turkish. There's so much history within the borders of Turkey and I've always been interested in the history of that region.

toyomotor
11-10-13, 15:57
Probably Russian, I seem to be able to get my tongue around Russian words pretty easily.

Garrick
11-10-13, 16:24
German first.

Also Greek and Italian, and probably Spanish.

If languages could be learned quickly life would be nicer.