Japanese view on Poland

Kama

Okama XD
Reaction score
I'm writing an MA thesis about Polish view on Japan and Japanese view on Poland. I'll be making questionaires too. So now there is my question: how many Japanese here were actually in Poland. If it would be possible, I'd like to ask questions to you. :) I also would like to ask all the Japanese about Poland.

I'll post later question here. :) Thank you.

what kind of historical relations have there been between Poland and Japan? I've never heard of anything major... I'm interested in hearing more.

I found in the statistics that 809 Poles lived in Japan in 2003. However, I couldn't find how many Japanese lived in Poland.

Most Japanese people don't have views on Poland because they either don't know it exist or confuse it with Holland !

Maciamo said:
I found in the statistics that 809 Poles lived in Japan in 2003. However, I couldn't find how many Japanese lived in Poland.

Mainly housewives married to Japanese men, although there are some businessmen. One of the senior managers at Docomo is Polish.

Maciamo said:
Most Japanese people don't have views on Poland because they either don't know it exist or confuse it with Holland !

That's not necessarily true. A lot of Japanese associate Poland with Chopin and Maria Skłodowska-Curie. I had a Japanese trader try to convince me a number of times to go into business with him importing certain Polish products into Japan. He was sure there would be a market.

statistics
WOW! THAT many Americans lived in Japan in 2003?
...and you would think there would be more Russians... :?

Index said:
What is your thesis Kama?

My thesis is: "Polish view on Japan and Japanese / Japanese view on Poland and Polish" I have a plenty of material about Japan - there are a lot of books or press articles (f.ex. manga, fashion, Koizumi ;)). But I have almost nothing about Poland. Could anybody tell me whether there was any press articles about Poland (I heard in marie claire there was something) or maybe books.

nice gaijin said:
what kind of historical relations have there been between Poland and Japan? I've never heard of anything major... I'm interested in hearing more.

here is some info: http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/europe/poland/

generally, nothing really big. :D Koizumi's and emperor's visit. I was there when Emperor was wisiting Warsaw (university). :D That was....something...oh my god... :cool:

Maciamo said:

Well, many Japanese know about Po-rando :D They know Wajda, Walesa, Chopin, Curie-Sklodowska :d And I've heard that they are learning about Aushwitz.

From what I know there are about 1000 Japanese living in Poland now. My own experience is saying that there are much more Japanese women here than men.

dutch baka said:

Thanks, Dutch Baka, but there is nothing I could use. But it'd be useful to others I suppose.

I need in my thesis articles about Poland, books about Poland and people's thoughts about Poland. :D I have to know WHAT JAPANESE THINK ABOUT POLAND. :D

mm send some PM's to some Japanese guys over here, maybe they want to write something about it... but yeah.. even i , as a european, dont know that much about Poland.... so if Japanese know a lot about it... I doubt it.. but wish you luck with the rest of your search!!!

it doesn't know how much they know about Poland only what they know (even the dumbest and untrue things).

Um... the flag is only showing the residence. and I don't know who is of Japanese origin here. but yes, that would be a good thing. :D thanks

If you are in Poland, then the most important and ?eup to date?f book for you is ?gPolityka Japonii wobec Polski 1918-1945" (Japanese policy on Poland in 1918-1945), Warszawa 1998, by Ewa Pałasz-Rutkowska; and ?gChopin – Polska – Japonia?h printed in Japan in 1999. The second book is a bilingual catalog from exhibition celebrating the 80th jubilee of our bilateral relations, full of many personal memories and opinions given by Japanese interested in Poland, living here and loving our country. Both are available at libraries of Japanese Philology or you may ask about them your promoter.

Ok

What do Japanese think about us well not much really !
Japanese do like Chopin and know about Marie Currie they also know about John Paul II and respect him The Polish Pope made history becuse he was the first and currently only Pope to ever visit Japan so It might be arguable but I think the Japanese made him one of theirs spiritual leaders (there were many Japanese people present at his burial) also another Pole they feel attached to was the deceased Brother Zeno who helped Japanese orphans !
so I guess Japanese think Polish people are like brother Zeno and John Paul II
Politically Poland never was as Important for Japan as US was however some Japanese fancy Polish culture ( Mamoru's Oshii fascination with Andrzej Wajda Movies lead to creation of Avalon and casting in it Polish actors the movie's spoken language is Polish)

Ussually for a Japanese thinks about Poland when he thinks about WWII
Poland was the first country attacked in WWII or Syberian childrens !
(Syberian children were a group of Polish childrens saved by the Japanese Red Cross with the help of Polish and Japanese goverments)

Sometimes in Anime there are some elements from Poland for example in one of the scenes of Cowboy Bepop we can see a bottle of Vodka with the 'Spiritus retyfikowany' sign or in Inu Yasha Kagome wears a pijama which has a Polish 'szachownica' on it

Also in Hellsing Ova's the main plotline considers the Protagonist fight with a Nazi Major who once resided In Warsaw during the Warsaw Uprising !

Also a Polish cartoon known as "Mis uszatek" was released in Japan somewhere a year ago !

Both Poles and Japanese think that both countries are exotic !

This thread has been viewed 30245 times.

Back