PDA

View Full Version : Best cities to visit in Europe

Maciamo
03-10-05, 12:35
Based on my experience of travelling and living around Europe, I would like to make a list the the best cities by category, rating them respectively 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A and 3B. Note that I have listed Nordic countries or Ireland, and have only been to Praha and Budapest in Eastern Europe. Basically, the numeral ranking is about the overall beauty/quality, while the letters refer to the length of stay to fully enjoy the city (A the longest, C the shortest).

1A : outstanding cities with enough sights for 1 to 2 weeks

London
Rome
Florence
Paris

1B : same as 1A, but with sights for less than 1 week (usually 2 or 3 days)

Salamaca
Seville
Venice
Nice
Oxford
Cambridge
Praha
Vienna
Istanbul

1C : same as 1B, but with sights for just one day

Cordoba
Caceres
Evora
Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela
Carcasonne
Monaco
Pisa
Lucca
San Gimignano
Siena
Lille
Luxembourg
Bruges
Maastricht
Bath
York

2A : very good destinations with sightseeing for several days, but less impressive overall than those ranked 1A.

Brussels
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisboa
Budapest
Athens

2B : Same as 2A, but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Granada
Merida
Milano
Marseille
Nimes
Avignon
Montpellier
Antwerp
Namur
Delft
Leiden
Brighton
Stratford-upon-Avon

3A : Less beautiful cities with enough exceptional attractions for several days

Berlin

3B : same as 3A but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Bristol
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Canterbury
Munich
Frankfurt
Regensburg
Bonn
Trier
Aachen
Ghent
Gouda
Den Haag

Dutch Baka
03-10-05, 20:51
you have been to all this places.. Damm i envy you!!!! hahaha... i agree with amsterdam, its a great city, but just for a couple of days. Paris is amazing, so agree with it too!!!!

Maciamo
04-10-05, 05:06
you have been to all this places.. Damm i envy you!!!! hahaha... i agree with amsterdam, its a great city, but just for a couple of days. Paris is amazing, so agree with it too!!!!
Yes, I've been to all these places. However, I only selected those where I had been in the last 6 years to keep the comparison fair (so that I can remember all with about the same intensity). I have travelled a lot with my wife around Europe before coming to Japan. We bought a 2-month Eurolines pass for the main cities and also stayed in Spain for 2 months. As for Belgium and England, don't forget that I am the author of the Eupedia Belgium Guide (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/) and England Guide (http://www.eupedia.com/england/). :p

Index
04-10-05, 07:25
What about Kraków in category 1B.

Maciamo
04-10-05, 07:54
What about Kraków in category 1B.

I haven't been there, but I guess it's similar to Praha in ranking.

Tsuyoiko
04-10-05, 13:25
Three of my favourite cities are Chester - which I would rank 2C; Wells, the smallest city in the UK, which I would rank 1C; and Shrewsbury (strictly speaking not a city, but it feels like one), also 1C. I like Manchester too, but it would probably be 5A - lots to do, but it's ugly as sin! My own city - Stoke-on-Trent - I would rank as 5B. It is ugly, but there are lots of museums, enough for a few days - as long as you like ceramics! The only city I have been to outside the UK is Bruges, and I would agree with your ranking. We were there for 5 days, and if it hadn't been our honeymoon we would have been bored after a day or two.

Alma
04-10-05, 21:04
oh i really envy you!!!

for me, barcelona was really impresive, but nevermind...

you've missed Sarajevo :) -''Europe's Best Kept Secret'' according to this (http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/68/Life_In_Sarajevo.html)

Maciamo
05-10-05, 02:47
The only city I have been to outside the UK is Bruges, and I would agree with your ranking. We were there for 5 days, and if it hadn't been our honeymoon we would have been bored after a day or two.

How comes you haven't done a day trip to Antwerp (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/antwerp.shtml), Ghent (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/ghent.shtml) or Brussels (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/brussels.shtml), which are all less than an hour away from Bruges ? Ghent is just 30min away and trains are really cheap in Belgium (compared to Britain).

Tsuyoiko
06-10-05, 16:11
How comes you haven't done a day trip to Antwerp (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/antwerp.shtml), Ghent (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/ghent.shtml) or Brussels (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/brussels.shtml), which are all less than an hour away from Bruges ? Because I'm boring :okashii:

Kinsao
07-10-05, 22:44
I'm not at all well travelled - out of those listed, I've only been to Paris, London, Barcelona, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Stratford and Portsmouth. :( I'm glad Paris and London are near the top of your list - I love them both for different reasons! :p

I really want to visit Riga, in Latvia - I plan to go there with some friends next summer. And we might go to Tallinn (Estonia) as well... :-)

Dutch Baka
09-10-05, 14:53
i am planning to go to Praha with my wife this winter... it looks so beautiful on the photo's, and not that expensive...!!!! tell me more about Praha maciamo!!!!!

celtician
18-10-05, 15:12
Prague (Praha) is a magnificent Baroque city, very surreal, alchemical and mysterious. You must visit the Jan Svankmajer art gallery and walk a lot in the old town. A visit to one of the cellar beer halls such as U Flecku is a must. Food is not so good but who needs it when you've got atmosphere in spades!! Go dere.

Harvey
19-10-05, 18:09
Hey I'm going to Prague in Feb!

What do you mean by atmosphere in spades?

celtician
21-10-05, 08:40
All you have to do is walk around the old city and you can feel it, no explanation necessary.

Kinsao
21-10-05, 10:52
The best city to visit in Europe is........ LEICESTER!!!! :silly:

OK, so the looks aren't really special, but the people are THE BEST!!! :smug:

Sensuikan San
25-10-05, 06:14
No brainer ... Paris!

(How would you like to be ...
Going insane with me ...?
Oh, what I'd give for a moment or two ...
Under the plaster of Paris with you ...) :biggrin:

ジョン

FAM
04-11-05, 21:15
I see that cities in my country are not mentioned.Anyway.
I'm from Bulgaria. A small country in the southeastern part of Europe.
If you visit it, I recommend you my native town Plovdiv. It has a great, charming atmosphere. As well as Nessebar. It is situated at the Black sea coast.
Melnik-the smallest town in Bulgaria with beautiful houses and great wine.

http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=11121&photo=20
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=11121&photo=24
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=11121&photo=32
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=10319&photo=2
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=10319&photo=4
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=9664
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=9664&photo=4
http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=10026&photo=16

The last two images are made in Balchik. A town which is situated north from Nessebar. Enjoy.

acquiredtarget
05-11-05, 04:27
I've always been enjoyed Trondheim, Oslo, Budo, and Stockholm. London was also enjoyable and I have somegood memories of Cologne and and Trier.

4321go
05-11-05, 06:32
I heard Rome is a chaotic city ,so Rome should out of 1A .

Maciamo
05-11-05, 09:05

This thread is not about best cities to live, but to visit. And few cities can rival Rome in matters of touristical sights and atmosphere. Even for living - and I have lived there a few months - Rome is an extraordinary city, despite being a bit noisy and chaotic (hardly more than Tokyo though).

4321go
05-11-05, 09:37
Right~ !

Yes, I've been to al these places. However, I only selected those where i had been in the last 6 years to keep the comparison fair (so that I can remember all with about the same intensity). I have travelled a lot with my wife around Europe before coming to Japan. We bought a 2-month Eurolines pass for the main cities and also stayed in Spain for 2 months. As for Belgium and England, don't forget that I am the author of the Eupedia Belgium Guide (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/) and England Guide (http://www.eupedia.com/england/). :p

Oh, You like travell very much~ I even guess you are a profession traveller before~ . :-)

Sensuikan San
05-11-05, 21:56
No brainer ... Paris!

ジョン

Just for the moment, though ... Paris might well be put on the "back-burner" !

What the heck is really going on there ? Reminds me of the 1968 riots!

How sad.

ジョン

Ma Cherie
05-11-05, 22:04
Just for the moment, though ... Paris might well be put on the "back-burner" !

What the heck is really going on there ? Reminds me of the 1968 riots!

How sad.

ジョン

Oh, now don't let a few riots keep you from visiting a wondeful city. :cool: I'm sure those riots will be over soon (hopefully).

Dutch Baka
06-11-05, 02:07
they Burned 2000 cars in total, in 2 weeks time or so... and last night it spread out to I thought 9 other france city's... so not so fun in there at the moment!! so paris goes to 1B.. ;)

wonderpt
18-11-05, 20:11
Maciamo what did you see in Lisboa?

It's my home city, but now I live in a little village called "Azeitão"

Elizabeth van Kampen
05-12-05, 13:15
Maciamo, did you ever visited Switzerland? I lived almost 9 years in Lausanne.
From my balcony I had the most beautiful view, Lac Léman and then those mountains covered with snow.
Although I am Francophile (love France and the French) I have been very happy in Lausanne. Often made a boat trip around the lake really wonderful, or just across the lake to Evian in France. I worked several years in Genève also a very beautiful and interesting town, but Lausanne stole my heart.

Maciamo
06-12-05, 18:12
I don't know Switzerland so well. That's why I didn't list any town there.

toyski
18-04-09, 07:39
why isn't copenhagen in your list?

Maciamo
18-04-09, 10:52
why isn't copenhagen in your list?

I must have forgotten. I will add it now.

Cambrius (The Red)
29-06-09, 19:01
London is my favorite, but Amsterdam is a terrific, fun place.

sawyer
31-03-10, 10:48
Yeah, great place to have fun, smoke some weed every day, and do nothing else. Don't you think, that Poland is more fun? I've been to Cracow (aston hostel), and it was just great. Cool staff, nice people and reasonable prices.
And Cracow was stunning! Beautiful city.

overnight
31-03-10, 22:48
I think Poland is way more fun! Last summer, when I went there with couple friends of mine we had totally unforgetable time! Best parties, best shopping centres,best monuments and everything! We were also very lucky, because we found this Aston Hostel and we saved loads of money, because it's really cheap! And I must say, there were several times, when we were too tired to go out for a party, so we stayed in our room and have a party of our own! :) Best time ever - Poland rocks!

sarmut
30-04-10, 10:02
I envy too. :) And, I wonder if you have been in istanbul. Because I couldnt see it in your list and wonder your impression on it.

Gwyllgi
30-04-10, 10:23
I envy too. :) And, I wonder if you have been in istanbul. Because I couldnt see it in your list and wonder your impression on it.

If the world were ever in need of an enema .......

Maciamo
30-04-10, 10:39

Yes, I have been to Istanbul. I have now added it to the list. I hesitated between 1A, 1B and 2A. I saw almost everything in my guidebook in about 5 days, so I opted for 1B.

edao
30-04-10, 15:15
Ah hem.....where might I ask is Dundee? :annoyed:

ps. No seriously, no one should ever go anywhere near Dundee, the general rule is if you are traveling away from it you are going in the right direction.

Gwyllgi
30-04-10, 17:06
Ah hem.....where might I ask is Dundee? :annoyed:

ps. No seriously, no one should ever go anywhere near Dundee, the general rule is if you are traveling away from it you are going in the right direction.

Bloody good university though.

hillmanhunter1
30-04-10, 23:54
I recently spent a weekend in Ljubljana and I thought that it was perfect for a break of that length, a pocket sized Baroque-style city, lots of lively streets, pedestrian friendly, good food and good value.

Joro
04-05-10, 23:30
I recently spent a weekend in Ljubljana and I thought that it was perfect for a break of that length, a pocket sized Baroque-style city, lots of lively streets, pedestrian friendly, good food and good value.

Zagreb is about the same, just bigger.I would divide Central European capitals by their representativeness, attractiveness and size in this way:
1.Vienna
2.Zagreb
3.Ljubljana

Note this is just a categorization, in the 1)category would probably fit Prague and Budapest as well.

coolman
15-07-10, 23:38
would love to go to Rome

Aristander
21-07-10, 03:36
I really liked London, being able to understand the natives was a big plus. I also enjoyed Amsterdam it is a fun place to spend a couple of days. Rome was my favorite. Great place, noisy, congested and hot in the summer, but a wonderful place. After several days I got where my ability to speak Spanish had transformed into an ability to understand Italian. Truthfully I had less trouble understanding Italian than I did understanding some people in Scotland.
Naples was beautiful, but scared the feces out of me. In the first 5 minutes of getting off the train, I saw a fellow get his stomach sliced open right inside the station. Then a couple of hours later not far from our hotel my wife was nearly knocked down by a couple on a Vespa trying to steal her handbag, they missed her bag but got a Japanese ladies about 15 meters down the sidewalk.

bud
19-10-10, 09:10
I really liked Edinburgh!

ricjoseph96
20-10-10, 09:53
Well same thing is been given to the post prior to this post and i still have the same question ,again the list carried all of the well know cities from Europe but again there are some very good Swiss cities were missing;Bern,Geneva,Zurich.although i don't belong to Switzerland but i had been to these cities and i really love these cities,so why excluded these cities?

Regards:Bebo Kobo:good_job:

Gavroche
10-05-11, 17:19
Nice isn't very beautiful...:confused2:...less than Toulouse or Nantes :cool-v:

Amsterdam must be in the top 5...:heart:

Maciamo
10-05-11, 20:05
Nice isn't very beautiful...:confused2:...less than Toulouse or Nantes :cool-v:

Amsterdam must be in the top 5...:heart:

Tastes do vary a lot between people. For me, there is no way that Toulouse is more beautiful than Nice. But I don't really like raw brick, and I love colourful faテァades...

spongetaro
11-05-11, 13:04
Tastes do vary a lot between people. For me, there is no way that Toulouse is more beautiful than Nice. But I don't really like raw brick, and I love colourful faテァades...

You can also find Russian architecture (orthodox church, hotel, palace) from the Belle epoque in Nice

Sid71
11-05-11, 14:02
There are many and to name a few I would say:
Venice
Rome
Florence
Barcelona
Madrid
Amsterdam
Paris

Cimmerianbloke
20-06-11, 05:20
It all depends on what you are interested in, of course. I love ancient architecture, and among my favourite places in Europe are Heidelberg, Tarragona, Segovia, Edinburgh, Prague, Antwerp, Torino, London, Dresden, and many more, mostly because the cultural offer is wide and the city has a special feeling.

cycle
20-07-11, 10:20
Why isnt Edinburgh on the list.
Edinburgh Castle, The National Museum of Scotland,The Royal Mile, The Scottish Parliament, Arthurs Seat, The Royal Yacht.
It would take a week to list all of Edinburghs attractions never mind visit them.

Knovas
20-07-11, 10:43
Amsterdam is great. I think also Athens it's not bad, but more for cultural reasons...it's not the same sensation like in Amsterdam walking in the streets.

fromSpain
09-08-11, 01:53
Based on my experience of travelling and living around Europe, I would like to make a list the the best cities by category, rating them respectively 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A and 3B. Note that I have listed Nordic countries or Ireland, and have only been to Praha and Budapest in Eastern Europe. Basically, the numeral ranking is about the overall beauty/quality, while the letters refer to the length of stay to fully enjoy the city (A the longest, C the shortest).

London
Rome
Florence
Paris

Salamaca
Seville
Venice
Nice
Oxford
Cambridge
Praha
Vienna
Istanbul

Cordoba
Caceres
Evora
Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela
Carcasonne
Monaco
Pisa
Lucca
San Gimignano
Siena
Lille
Luxembourg
Bruges
Maastricht
Bath
York

2A : very good destinations with sightseeing for several days, but less impressive overall than those ranked 1A.

Brussels
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisboa
Budapest
Athens

Granada
Merida
Milano
Marseille
Nimes
Avignon
Montpellier
Antwerp
Namur
Delft
Leiden
Brighton
Stratford-upon-Avon

Berlin

Bristol
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Canterbury
Munich
Frankfurt
Regensburg
Bonn
Trier
Aachen
Ghent
Gouda
Den Haag

Hi!

It seems like you liked Spain!
Glad to learn that! :cool-v:

Regards

fjolla
05-12-11, 16:17
I have visited several european cities but for me Barcelona is number one ,very beautiful city

Knovas
05-12-11, 20:21
Barcelona is getting worst. Actually, going through La Rambla at night it's a shame due to prostitution and other things. Years ago was much better.

Tony
12-12-11, 15:19
Hi
What do you think of St. Pitersburg and Kyiv please if you ever visited. Stambul's architecture isn't really european.
Thanks

Raiden
12-12-11, 20:46
Bucharest is a beautiful destination... Filled with culture and a mix of architecture. If you do go just make sure to be careful and not come off too touristy... There are areas that are less than savory.

Mzungu mchagga
12-12-11, 23:59
I've been there, but wasn't impressed that much. Sorry to say this, but actually it was one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen. I rather prefer the towns of Transylvania, Sighisoara, Sibiu and Cluj Napoca to be precise, I loved it there!

Cimmerianbloke
13-12-11, 02:53
I loved the decadent air in Bucharest, you can see it was once a vibrant and rich city. The little churches scattered all over town are fantastic. Taxi drivers seem slightly more honest than in Berlin, funny enough...

Mzungu mchagga
13-12-11, 10:29
Don't know, until today I never took a cap in Berlin.

PaschalisB
19-01-12, 11:33
I disagree with Athens being 2A and Rome 1A, I find them very similar and Athens is in general more tourist friendly and has more to offer than Rome. For the rest 1A's I agree.

Franco
28-02-12, 01:59
I loved the decadent air in Bucharest, you can see it was once a vibrant and rich city. The little churches scattered all over town are fantastic. Taxi drivers seem slightly more honest than in Berlin, funny enough...

Bucharest is considered the Paris of the East (whatever that means).I've never been to there though. My favourite European city is Prague. A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E.

Vallicanus
28-02-12, 15:10
I disagree with Athens being 2A and Rome 1A, I find them very similar and Athens is in general more tourist friendly and has more to offer than Rome. For the rest 1A's I agree.

You are kidding, right?

Athens has little of historical and cultural interest with the important exception of the Acropolis.
:thinking:

how yes no 3
03-03-12, 22:16
tastes are different...

I liked London, Valencia and Barcelona...

kanwal
22-04-12, 13:06
Hi

I am a new member of this forum...Please suggest me which should be my first city to visit Europe.....I want to visit the whole Europe....

LeBrok
23-04-12, 06:03
Start in テ斗afsvテュk finish in ミ頒オムミアミオミスム, you'll see all Europe on your way. ;)

kanwal
23-04-12, 11:34
Start in テ斗afsvテュk finish in ミ頒オムミアミオミスム, you'll see all Europe on your way. ;)

Sorry I don't have that big budget and that long holidays.....May be few nice and close cities......I would love to see hertiage stuff.....

Cimmerianbloke
23-04-12, 14:19
Tough, Kanwal, we are all born in Europe and only have seen a fraction of it... If you have just a couple of weeks, and limited cash, just buy "Europe on a shoestring" (http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Europe-Shoestring-Vivek/dp/1740593146), you can't go wrong...

kristofluyten
23-04-12, 21:14
Seems like a pretty good list.

Although Barcelona can come higher for me also.

About time I go visit some other cities again :-p

stacey
24-04-12, 11:35
Where is Vilnius?:)

kanwal
25-04-12, 06:10
Tough, Kanwal, we are all born in Europe and only have seen a fraction of it... If you have just a couple of weeks, and limited cash, just buy "Europe on a shoestring" , you can't go wrong...

Thanks dear...M ok with Cash...M an IT professional in New Zealand.....hopefully I ll get 20-25 days off from work..so what do you suggest in this kind of scenerio...I would love to see cultural and heritage stuff......

Cimmerianbloke
25-04-12, 12:48
Here is what i would do if I were in your situation: get a month-long Euro railway pass and do this trip: London-Brussels-Paris-Strasbourg-Cologne-Heidelberg-Torino-Roma-Venice-Salzburg-Viena-Prague-Berlin and fly back home.
Second option, not so much time on the road: London-Brussels-Paris-Barcelona-Torino-Roma-Viena-Prague.
Hope it helps. You can also get a look at the Unesco heritage sites to make a list that better suits your tastes (http://www.amazon.com/World-Heritage-Sites-Complete-UNESCO/dp/155407827X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335350878&sr=8-1)

kanwal
25-04-12, 13:33
Here is what i would do if I were in your situation: get a month-long Euro railway pass and do this trip: London-Brussels-Paris-Strasbourg-Cologne-Heidelberg-Torino-Roma-Venice-Salzburg-Viena-Prague-Berlin and fly back home.
Second option, not so much time on the road: London-Brussels-Paris-Barcelona-Torino-Roma-Viena-Prague.
Hope it helps. You can also get a look at the Unesco heritage sites to make a list that better suits your tastes

Hey the 1st option sounds great...but do you think it will be easy to cover these many cities in 25 days or so......and sorry I dint get what you meant by "not so much time on the road"....I have read it that euro-rail is a really popular way of transportation...So i think i ll read the books u suggested and will go by euro-rail and pick few cities from the 1st option....

One more thing your option one list is missing Barcelona and Amsterdam....are they too far away??....Is there any website or something which u are aware of where I can see the route and pick cities???

Cimmerianbloke
26-04-12, 00:36
The first option will have you on the road a lot, the second not as long. I would check Wikipedia, Wikitravel and Google-picture your destinations to have a clear idea of what you want to prioritize. As for the trains schedules, visit http://www.eurail.com/home

kanwal
26-04-12, 08:33
The first option will have you on the road a lot, the second not as long. I would check Wikipedia, Wikitravel and Google-picture your destinations to have a clear idea of what you want to prioritize. As for the trains schedules, visit

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

hope
26-04-12, 16:31
Or the seven Glens of Antrim..N.Ireland. Some of the most beautiful natural scenery that can stand above many others.IMO
But of course this is not a city! Yet you can go to Belfast in the North and onto Dublin in the South..both beautiful and lots of great period buildings. Also good food and night life!

Tomjo
09-05-12, 19:32
this is a rather uninspired list. it is for people who prefer not to travel with an open mind and on trodden paths. Or the author is old, if not in age, so in mind. Or he is from somewhere very far from Europe, for Asians f.e. clichテゥs help to reduce the complexity of a one-week-visit to Europe (the same being true vice-versa, i.e. Europeans visiting Asia). I for example used to detest Berlin when it was devided, but in 2012 it has as much to discover as London or Paris- only in very different way, away from imperial-museal aspects, it is Europe today. And the quality of life is much better than in those cities, and at least Paris I know intimately. But all depends on what you want. I believe there are so many splendid places in Eastern Europe to be seen that suffer from ignorance about them or a wrong cliche. Just a thought.

jonssmith5
15-05-12, 11:33
1.Dubrovnik - Croatia
My own 'Great Wall of China'

2.Amsterdam - The Netherlands

3.Berlin - Germany

4.Switzerland - See everything!
(It's a small country)

5.The Plitvice Lakes - Croatia

universal in orlando|orlando universal|universal studios orlando|seaworld orlando|best of orlando

Cimmerianbloke
18-05-12, 05:30
Italian daily La Stampa (Turin) proposes its lectors to discover 10 lesser-known (down to "where-the Hell-is it"...) cities in Europe:

Amiens (FR), Battle (GB), Burg Satzvey (GER), Luxembourg (LUX), Haarlem (HOL), Klaipティda (LIT), La Coruテアa (SP), Lancut (PL), Olomouc (CZ) and Tartu (EST).

http://viaggi.lastampa.it/foto/le-dieci-citta-da-scoprire-in-europa/page/1

Maciamo
18-05-12, 10:48
Italian daily La Stampa (Turin) proposes its lectors to discover 10 lesser-known (down to "where-the Hell-is it"...) cities in Europe:

Amiens (FR), Battle (GB), Burg Satzvey (GER), Luxembourg (LUX), Haarlem (HOL), Klaipティda (LIT), La Coruテアa (SP), Lancut (PL), Olomouc (CZ) and Tartu (EST).

http://viaggi.lastampa.it/foto/le-dieci-citta-da-scoprire-in-europa/page/1

Some of these destinations are already covered by Eupedia:

- Amiens (http://www.eupedia.com/france/amiens.shtml) (not that good except the cathedral)
- Battle (http://www.eupedia.com/england/hastings.shtml) (nothing special really)
- Luxembourg (http://www.eupedia.com/luxembourg/luxembourg.shtml) (must-see)
- Haarlem (http://www.eupedia.com/netherlands/haarlem.shtml) (outstanding)

jonathan2340
26-05-12, 07:46
Hello everyone. I am jon from USA> I am new here. I am here to ask you the best cities to visit in France and best hotels in which i can stay for long time. There should be luxurious hotels. Keep it up.

spongetaro
26-05-12, 20:23
Hello everyone. I am jon from USA> I am new here. I am here to ask you the best cities to visit in France and best hotels in which i can stay for long time. There should be luxurious hotels. Keep it up.

Outside of Paris, the cities of the French rivera like Nice, Cannes, Monaco and Antibes are Beautiful. You may also apperciate cities of Alsace (near the German border) like Strasbourg and Colmar but also small villages like Riquewihr and Ribeauvillテゥ (famous for the Wines and food). If you go to Paris, Normandy is not too far. The coast is famous for its landscape and the D-Day beaches. Near the border with Brittany, the Mount Saint Michel is also wonderful to visit.

For the luxurious hotel you may find them in the French riviera, in Cannes (Carlton, Hilton, Martinez) and Nice (Negresco).
There are also luxurious Houses on the coast and in the Hinterland (Saint Paul, Vence...).

Sybilla
10-06-12, 15:48
My classifics, according to my personal experience/tastes is:

1A PLACES TO SPEND 1 TO UP 2 WEEKS:
- Rome (2 weeks)
- Paris (2 weeks)
- Venice (2 weeks)
- Berlin (10 days)
- Munich (a week)

1B: PLACES TO SPEND SEVERAL DAYS UP TO 1 WEEK:
- Florence (3 days)
- Neaples and the Amalphitan coast (1 week )
- Athens (4 days)
- Cortina D'Ampezzo (5-6 days)
- Interlaken (CH) (5 days)
- Neuchatel (CH) (2 days)
- Luzern (2 days)
- Milan (5-6 days)

1C (PLACES TO SPEND 1 DAY):
- Olympia
- Delphi
- San Marino
- Nテシrnberg
- Bern

OUT OF EUROPE
1A:
- Sydey (1 week-2 weeks)

1B:
-Kuala Lumpur (4-5 days)
-Surfers Paradise (5 days)

I have only put in the list places that I have visited and the time I'd suggest to spend there.

Abdullah2
27-11-12, 21:43
My boss is as well keen of YouTube comical video clips, he also watch these even in place of work hehehe..

albanopolis
04-04-13, 23:38
A city founded in year 1 and constantly inhabited is Istambul. Orient and Ocident clash right there. Ancient ruins, new ruins, man made disasters, god made disasters, beautifull buidings, ugly buildings, white people, black people, yellow pepole are all there. Its a small microcosmos. For people like me, who always check the finances, thats the city to visit. One sees the world in one shot. Fot people with limitlees money resources is good to see all the above mentioned cities.

Maciamo
05-04-13, 11:52
My classifics, according to my personal experience/tastes is:

1A PLACES TO SPEND 1 TO UP 2 WEEKS:
- Rome (2 weeks)
- Paris (2 weeks)
- Venice (2 weeks)
- Berlin (10 days)
- Munich (a week)

1B: PLACES TO SPEND SEVERAL DAYS UP TO 1 WEEK:
- Florence (3 days)
- Neaples and the Amalphitan coast (1 week )
- Athens (4 days)
- Cortina D'Ampezzo (5-6 days)
- Interlaken (CH) (5 days)
- Neuchatel (CH) (2 days)
- Luzern (2 days)
- Milan (5-6 days)

1C (PLACES TO SPEND 1 DAY):
- Olympia
- Delphi
- San Marino
- Nテシrnberg
- Bern

OUT OF EUROPE
1A:
- Sydey (1 week-2 weeks)

1B:
-Kuala Lumpur (4-5 days)
-Surfers Paradise (5 days)

I have only put in the list places that I have visited and the time I'd suggest to spend there.

I am very surprised that you would need a week to see all the sights in Munich. After two days I didn't know what to do. Please don't count excursions from Munich to the rest of Bavaria. That would completely offset the ranking.

Likewise, Sydney can be seen in a two or three days. It doesn't deserve one or two weeks (unless you got lost walking around the suburbs ;-) ).

On the other hand, 3 days in Florence is definitely not enough to see all the important sights. It deserves at least a full week, and in my opinion longer than Venice, because Venice has very few museums or places that can be visited inside.

Cortina D'Ampezzo is a ski resort, so there are no sight per se. Same for Surfer's Paradise (I hated that place, btw).

BakodiP
10-04-13, 09:39
If you're in Hungary you should definitely visit the city of Gyナ喪 (NW-Hungary) for a one day trip. It has some beautiful baroque buildings and a marvelous atmosphere. Also the Archabbey of Panonhalma is only a half an hour drive from Gyナ喪. It's part of the UNESCO World Heritage!

alexpich
31-05-13, 09:14
I think I like to live in London for the amazing party life in there. The scenery is also good with all the majestic pieces all over.

Vallicanus
31-05-13, 15:29
If you're in Hungary you should definitely visit the city of Gyナ喪 (NW-Hungary) for a one day trip. It has some beautiful baroque buildings and a marvelous atmosphere. Also the Archabbey of Panonhalma is only a half an hour drive from Gyナ喪. It's part of the UNESCO World Heritage!

Budapest has better architecture and more hospitable people than Prague or Vienna.:smile:

Cambrius (The Red)
31-05-13, 17:54
London and Paris are my favorites.

Brokensword
27-10-13, 11:57
Yes, I have been to Istanbul. I have now added it to the list. I hesitated between 1A, 1B and 2A. I saw almost everything in my guidebook in about 5 days, so I opted for 1B.

5 Days would not be enough to see all in Istanbul. I have been there many times yet many places i have not seen.

Ofc, depends on what you want to see...

Pax Augusta
07-09-14, 13:25

Less than any Chinese big city.

Pax Augusta
07-09-14, 13:26
London and Paris are my favorites.

Paris much better than London.

Pax Augusta
07-09-14, 13:34

London
Rome
Florence
Paris

Salamaca
Seville
Venice
Nice
Oxford
Cambridge
Praha
Vienna
Istanbul

Cordoba
Caceres
Evora
Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela
Carcasonne
Monaco
Pisa
Lucca
San Gimignano
Siena
Lille
Luxembourg
Bruges
Maastricht
Bath
York

Brussels
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisboa
Budapest
Athens

Granada
Merida
Milano
Marseille
Nimes
Avignon
Montpellier
Antwerp
Namur
Delft
Leiden
Brighton
Stratford-upon-Avon

Berlin

Bristol
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Canterbury
Munich
Frankfurt
Regensburg
Bonn
Trier
Aachen
Ghent
Gouda
Den Haag

Congrats, Maciamo. One of the best selection I have ever found. Very accurated too.

Maleth
14-09-14, 08:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWmqkEiYJ0

Angela
14-09-14, 19:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWmqkEiYJ0

I don't think I can wait until 2018, Maleth. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but there's a wonderful book of historical fiction called The Disorderly Knights by Dorothy Dunnett which is set on Malta in 1551. Malta has captured my imagination ever since then.

It's the next thing on my bucket list.

Maleth
15-09-14, 09:23
I don't think I can wait until 2018, Maleth. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but there's a wonderful book of historical fiction called The Disorderly Knights by Dorothy Dunnett which is set on Malta in 1551. Malta has captured my imagination ever since then.

It's the next thing on my bucket list.

It would be good to meet up if you ever visit, and in a short distance around there are other great historical things to visit too that you will find very interesting :) The Valletta harbour was also the scene of a great battle (prior to the Turkish 4 month siege) in connection with the Sicilian Vespers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malta

I wasn't aware of the book. Had a look on amazon and it looks like a good read. Thank you for bringing the book to my attention

Angela
15-09-14, 18:28
It would be good to meet up if you ever visit, and in a short distance around there are other great historical things to visit too that you will find very interesting :) The Valletta harbour was also the scene of a great battle (prior to the Turkish 4 month siege) in connection with the Sicilian Vespers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malta

I wasn't aware of the book. Had a look on amazon and it looks like a good read. Thank you for bringing the book to my attention

It sounds like a plan!

Maleth
15-09-14, 20:16
It sounds like a plan!

Honey
16-12-14, 13:02
Maciamo! It is the huge list that you shared. I know these all are stunning and alluring cities of the United Kingdom. I am a tourist but I did not visit them all. My most favorite cities are Venice and London and I have been there several times. I love the attractions of London and the atmosphere of the Venice. In the last week of this month I am going to visit the New York. I am very excited for this.

FunkyWanderer
18-02-15, 02:48
I love Leon in France

FunkyWanderer
18-02-15, 02:49
I drove from Rome to Paris over a week staying in multiple cities... I'd recommend that to anyone

Mikey123
02-04-15, 13:54
Krakow of course!!!

Berry_083
18-06-15, 09:01
Swedish, here, so I'm not being biased if I say the island of Tenerife has to be the best place in Europe :)

Garrick
19-06-15, 14:49
There are a lot of beautiful cities in the Europe. If I have to decide, definitely Budapest. Athens is the certainly in the shortlist. I love Spain but I wasn't in Madrid and I cannot evaluate. Some Italian smaller cities are amazing, for example Verona. As city for life for me Berlin is at the top.

Vallicanus
20-06-15, 09:05
Bergamo (Upper town) and Mantua are beautiful.

Madrid is impressive.

Dalmat
28-06-15, 14:21
NYTimes made a video report on Split, Croatia, worth a watch to anybody interested

http://www.nytimes.com/video/travel/100000003725129/36-hours-in-split.html

Maleth
11-07-15, 17:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alfc_2b3upE

Maleth
11-07-15, 21:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDlUlqmNjA

JinJin
23-07-15, 14:04
I think the first cities to visit are Paris, Venice and Rome. But very often those cities or towns that are not very popular may be even more interesting.

Sammi Boyce
12-10-15, 16:03
Barcelona is my number one..Although I have enjoyed Amsterdam and Berlin too.

monai089
02-11-15, 05:04
So amzing this guide.i really envy you!!!

spoon
31-08-16, 22:02
Florence...

draj
26-09-16, 23:02
Barcelona is my number one..Although I have enjoyed Amsterdam and Berlin too.

I agree with you..and would like to add Rotterdam and Dubrovnik to those 3, amazing cities..

Nerys
17-04-17, 17:08
Favorite 3 Copenhagen, Oslo and Bergen.

michaelmanson
10-03-18, 14:10
Barcelona, Paris, Florence...

dia38europe
23-04-18, 11:17
Wow, so many places you visited. Let us know what's next.

adamgilcristt
26-04-18, 14:54
Milan, Italy
Gdansk, Poland
Athens, Greece
San Sebastian, Spain
Porto, Portugal
Amsterdam, Netherlands

These are the best cities to visit in Europe. In this season I would recommend to visit Amsterdam and enjoy with the full bloom of Tulip flowers in world largest garden.

ToBeOrNotToBe
14-05-18, 11:29
London, with decent weather, should genuinely be 1A*. There's just so much to do.

ToBeOrNotToBe
14-05-18, 11:38
Milan, Italy
Gdansk, Poland
Athens, Greece
San Sebastian, Spain
Porto, Portugal
Amsterdam, Netherlands

These are the best cities to visit in Europe. In this season I would recommend to visit Amsterdam and enjoy with the full bloom of Tulip flowers in world largest garden.

Amsterdam is incredibly overrated, I went there for 3 or 4 days and even then we basically had fully experienced the city.

ToBeOrNotToBe
14-05-18, 11:39
I agree with you..and would like to add Rotterdam and Dubrovnik to those 3, amazing cities..

Dubrovnik is incredibly boring so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

ToBeOrNotToBe
14-05-18, 11:40
One city that is pretty underrated is Budapest - it's scenic and orderly and there's a pretty decent amount to do.

Make sure you don't get ripped off by the predatory cabs that wait outside airports and train stations though, as with all cities

ruskabajka
26-07-18, 00:30
the most underestimated is Belgrade....

sofitofi
07-05-19, 11:01
St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities, seriously. It has its flaws of course. Things like seasonal price rising, weather conditions, that should be taken into account. Choosing a hotel in Russia is another kind of quest, once I picked one without thinking and my trip was, honestly, almost ruined. But it was worth it anyway, I will get back there again. Articles like this actually help https://www.tripoto.com/trip/how-to-choose-tour-to-saint-petersburg-your-ideal-leisure-5cc4a67d4d56c, at least you'll know what to pay attention on. Good luck!

Tutkun Arnaut
07-05-19, 11:21
St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities, seriously. It has its flaws of course. Things like seasonal price rising, weather conditions, that should be taken into account. Choosing a hotel in Russia is another kind of quest, once I picked one without thinking and my trip was, honestly, almost ruined. But it was worth it anyway, I will get back there again. Articles like this actually help https://www.tripoto.com/trip/how-to-choose-tour-to-saint-petersburg-your-ideal-leisure-5cc4a67d4d56c, at least you'll know what to pay attention on. Good luck!

I met a new York women who had visited ST Petersburg. she said to me if you see this city you would no longer wander why the revolution broke in Russia. Everything Russia produced was spend there for one single family

Tutkun Arnaut
07-05-19, 11:29
Amsterdam is incredibly overrated, I went there for 3 or 4 days and even then we basically had fully experienced the city.

in every city you go as a visitor you most likely stay downtown. so the bigger the city, the bigger its downtown. when you visit a city one should have a purpose,. I believe you are not into museums, if you ere you would spend a day in a single museum. I guess you skimmed the scenery of Amsterdam, and that's why there was not much else to do

Urahaydres
03-07-19, 14:58
Where is Rome ?

RogerRog
19-09-19, 13:24
Wow, interesting post. I've visited all places from 2A section and I love them. Those cities are beautiful and have so many different cool and stunning places to visit.

20-09-19, 00:16
1. I can go back to London anytime (yeah, it can be wet). There is so much to see and most places are worth a repeat.
2. Berlin is a marvel to anyone who lived through the Wall period. I'm also impressed (or is it shocked) at how eager everyone seems to be to destroy relics of the Soviet era (Leipzig showed the same dislike/hatred of that period).
3. Venice can't be missed, but the decay of the city is almost too sad for a revisit.
4. I didn't get a good chance to see Paris (chaperone for a busload of students), but I'd go back in an instant (if the yellow jackets calm down).

20-09-19, 00:20

I liked St. Petersburg, but I wouldn't go back; Russian officials (immigration types) were way too nasty. Same story with Hong Kong. I suppose I've been spoiled, I expect to be treated like a guest, not a criminal.