What is the greatest empire ever existed?

What is the greatest empire that ever existed?

• Ancient Rome

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Alexander the Great's Empire

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Ottoman Empire

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Safavid Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Genghis Khan empire

• Mughal Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Han China (202 BC to 220AD)

• Ming & Qing China (1368 to 1911)

• Aztec Empire

• Inca Empire

• Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Spanish Empire of 16th to 19th century

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Napoleon's empire

• British empire of 17th to 20th century

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The Third Reich/Nazi Germany

• Imperialist Japan (1940's)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other empire

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters

Zauriel

The Angel of Justice
Reaction score
Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippine
Ethnic group
Chinese
Please enlighten me with your opinions why the empire you voted for is great.

I would probably vote on Khan empire (founded by Genghis Khan) because it encompasses most of Asia and had a lasting impct on the civilization. However, it didn't live long.

But I was thinking about Spanish empire or British empire. Spanish empire covers most of the New World. Britain had its share of territory in Asia, Africa and Americas. Britain also became a naval superpower from 1692 to 1940, but Britain's power had waned in the 20th century and Spain's power declined in late 19th century due to the revolutions and independence declarations from their colonies. So England's glory lasted for two or three centuries since 17th century and Spain's glory lasted for three centuries since 16th century.

Ancient Rome is also a great empire which had influenced the Western civilization.

Mughal empire had significant influence on Indian history as well.

Ottoman empire lasted for more than 600 years from 1299 to 1908 and had quite many achievements but Ottoman power waned in 1683 after the Battle of Vienna. It continued to live even after its decline but grew weaker.

Byzantine Empire and Alexander The Great's Empires were pretty great empires.

I would hardly consider Holy Roman Empire, Louis XIV's empire and Napoleon Empire since they were either weak, decadent or lasted shorter than a dog's life.

I would say the Roman Empire..... it spread european civilization in our continent and is the foundation of evropa.

In matter of size, population, administration, durability, cultural tolerance and long-term effects, the British Empire was the greatest. The Roman Empire comes second. How comes the Chinese Empire (at least Han to Tang period, or Ming to Qing) is not in the list ?

True the british empire was greater however one ponders about the positive effects it had upon human civilization. We need only to look at the middle east conflicts, kashmir, Africa and what not to get a feel about the british legacy in the world they conquered ;)

I'm torn between the Ancient Roman empire and the British empire, for different reasons; however, I'm not going to vote for anything because I simply don't know enough about the other empires mentioned to make a reasoned decision. *contemplates how long it would take to read enough history books to get a balanced knowledge* :eek:

The Romans THE ROMANS! They really had it all: Fine arts, culture, war tactics, knowledge and science. Besides, they had such an interesting religion...

4321go said:
Empire ?HIt must have emperor! And who is the emperor now! I think no empire existe now?I

Japan has an emperor, but interestingly it's not an empire anymore. Anyway, the topic is about historical empires, which have all disappeared.

How about Ancient Egypt? They were responsible for innovations in writing, art, engineering (including architecture and irrigation), mathematics, agriculture, medicine and international relations.

Zauriel said:
Please enlighten me with your opinions why the empire you voted for is great.

I would probably vote on Khan empire (founded by Genghis Khan) because it encompasses most of Asia and had a lasting impct on the civilization. However, it didn't live long.

But I was thinking about Spanish empire or British empire. Spanish empire covers most of the New World. Britain had its share of territory in Asia, Africa and Americas. Britain also became a naval superpower from 1692 to 1940, but Britain's power had waned in the 20th century and Spain's power declined in late 19th century due to the revolutions and independence declarations from their colonies. So England's glory lasted for two or three centuries since 17th century and Spain's glory lasted for three centuries since 16th century.

Ancient Rome is also a great empire which had influenced the Western civilization.

Mughal empire had significant influence on Indian history as well.

Ottoman empire lasted for more than 600 years from 1299 to 1908 and had quite many achievements but Ottoman power waned in 1683 after the Battle of Vienna. It continued to live even after its decline but grew weaker.

Byzantine Empire and Alexander The Great's Empires were pretty great empires.

I would hardly consider Holy Roman Empire, Louis XIV's empire and Napoleon Empire since they were either weak, decadent or lasted shorter than a dog's life.
:)
The greatest Empire for me is my future,as it is mine :blush:

Tsuyoiko said:
How about Ancient Egypt? They were responsible for innovations in writing, art, engineering (including architecture and irrigation), mathematics, agriculture, medicine and international relations.

Egypt was a kingdom. It's best compared to England or France before having their colonial empire. Empires are usually kingdoms that extend by taking over many other countries/kingdoms and create a vast, multicultural political entity. A great empire would be one that manage to keep this multicultural entity long enough and manage it well. The British Empire wins in that sense, as it has so to say survived to this day with the Commonwealth of Nations, and played an important role in asserting English as the world's lingua franca.

4321go said:
How about Arabian Empire! It was an important intermediator of east and west ?@^_^
?`?? to "British empire of 17th to 20th century " It is reason to why we use English here , too large colony it been have! so English become universal language now!

Maybe you mean the Ottoman Empire that ruled the Middle-East from the 15th century to 1918. The Arabs took over a lot of land in their jihad, creating a Muslim world from Spain to Central Asia, but it was not politically unified, and thus was not an empire.

Maciamo said:
Egypt was a kingdom. It's best compared to England or France before having their colonial empire. Empires are usually kingdoms that extend by taking over many other countries/kingdoms and create a vast, multicultural political entity. A great empire would be one that manage to keep this multicultural entity long enough and manage it well. The British Empire wins in that sense, as it has so to say survived to this day with the Commonwealth of Nations, and played an important role in asserting English as the world's lingua franca.
Egypt did have an empire. During the reign of Ramases II it stretched almost all the way to the Hittite empire, which is modern day Turkey, and covered where Israel and Lebanon are now. Over 3000 years of the ancient Egyptian civilisation, this was when it was almost at it's maximun size. Ancient Egypt was also a very multicultural society. Like most empires/knigdoms it will wax and wane.

Mycernius said:
Egypt did have an empire. During the reign of Ramases II it stretched almost all the way to the Hittite empire, which is modern day Turkey, and covered where Israel and Lebanon are now. Over 3000 years of the ancient Egyptian civilisation, this was when it was almost at it's maximun size. Ancient Egypt was also a very multicultural society. Like most empires/knigdoms it will wax and wane.

Yes, but that was an Empire hardly bigger than Egypt itself. Then, I don't see how it could be greater than Alexander's Empire or the Roman Empire, which were both bigger, more developed and more muticultural. Among the two best remembered structures in Egypt (the Pyramids and the Pharos/Lighthouse of Alexandria), one was built under Greek rule, which did not last a tenth of the length of the Egyptian rule (300 year against over 3000 years).

This thread has been viewed 121849 times.

Back