Division of ministries/departments in different countries

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I noticed that the USA has a Department of Health, Education and Welfare. It seems as ludicruous to me to put these 3 together as to have a Department of Defense, Economy and Foreign Affairs. What does Health & Welfare have to do with Education ? I think Education is important enough to have its own department.

The French government has some interesting ministries that I haven't heard of anywhere else. For instance it has a Ministry of Youth, Sports & Social Life. I wonder why that is that French people find it important enough to have a special ministry for "youth" or "sports", while most other countries don't.

There is a French Ministry of Employment, Social Cohesion & Lodging. Social cohesion & lodging ? Isn't part of the Ministry of Interior ? Isn't employment part of the Ministry of Economy ?

Another funny grouping is the Ministry of Transports, Equipment, Tourism & Sea. Especially that Tourism is so important in France (it is after all the most touristic country in the world in termns of number of visitors), so why group it with equipment or even transport in general ?

Japanese ministries are more no-nonsense and better defined, IMO.

The UK has some interesting namings (e.g. Department for Education and Skills, Department for Work and Pensions, Her Majesty’s Treasury, Department for Constitutional Affairs) or government agencies (Office of the e-Envoy, Serious Fraud Office, Crown Estate, Stationery Office, Privy Council Office), but the division is otherwise coherent, although it seems to lack some important departments such as science/research (probably included in education & skills).

Do you know any other interesting ones ?

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 7074 times.

Back