Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Europa : Belgian electronic ID card officially launched

Expatica : Belgium gets smart about identity

These articles is already 2.5 years old, but the new ID cards still have 2.5 more years before completely replacing old ones.

Expatica said:
The ?esmart?f IDs are being plugged as a convenient tool for citizens, which will save them time and energy by providing them with a safe and secure means to deal with the government electronically and conduct online business transactions.
According to Robbroeckx a cardholder, using a special smart card reader and PIN code, would be able to fill in tax returns, pay social security and vote from the comfort of her armchair. Once our citizen of the future has fulfilled those tedious chores, she can kick back her heels and use the time it frees up to go online to order a pizza or a holiday in the sun.

These transactions would be safeguarded through the use of a dual authentication system in which a private key on the card, created through a complex random logarithm, is checked up against a public key on a database.

The government hopes that the new system, by filling the security holes that currently plague online authentication, will herald a new era of e-government and provide the sluggish growth in e-commerce with a helpful shot in the arm.

Note that everyone in Belgium is required by law to carry their ID card on them at all times. ID cards are convenient to register at a video club, open a bank account or use secure government websites (each ID card has a unique number). But I find that imposing to carry it at all times is unnecessary and can be annoying (especially if we get checked and fined). The new electronic version is smaller, and therefore easier to fit in a wallet. That's a nice improvement.

Btw, new Belgian passports (since last year) are reportedly the only ones (?) to have electronic chips (maybe Swiss passports as well ?). They are also much better protected than most other country's passports (e.g. Japanese ones), and include a watermark of the owner's picture (like on banknotes/bills !) in addition to a printed photo (not pasted) with two further shining security marks (like on Euro banknotes) on the photo. All pages are numbered and have another watermark + intentional irregularities in design on each page to avoid that pages be cut out or replaced. Japanese passports have none of these security features (I checked my wife's brand new passport).

I already got my second one haha, since I lost mine in China :eek:kashii:
10euro/card

Here's a picture :
1049177820.gif

Belgium is the first country with this type of id-cards,also a lot of countries showed interest in the system.

Maciamo said:
Note that everyone in Belgium is required by law to carry their ID card on them at all times. ID cards are convenient to register at a video club, open a bank account or use secure government websites (each ID card has a unique number). But I find that imposing to carry it at all times is unnecessary and can be annoying (especially if we get checked and fined).
Sounds similar to the foreigner card in Japan to me...:blush:

The US has been using those same cards for about 10 years now for their military. I had the prototype, now I hold the third generation card which looks almost identical to the one in your picture. We are supposed to use them to access our government workstations, but I don't know of anyone who actually does yet. We've had the card readers installed for 2 years now!

Mikawa Ossan said:
Sounds similar to the foreigner card in Japan to me...:blush:

Yes, except that in Belgium foreigners don't have to have one ! Wonderful how everything is in favour of foreigners in Belgium. They can also vote and get social security ! You understand my surprise when coming in Japan. I thought I would enjoy all the benefits foreigners have over nationals, which I thought was normal, being Belgian... :D

Last edited:
10 euros?

The ID card cost me 40 euros here. Judging by the picture the card is exactly the same.

breez said:
10 euros?

The ID card cost me 40 euros here. Judging by the picture the card is exactly the same.

I am not sure about ID cards, but I know that depending on the town/city where you buy your passport in Belgium, the price can be anything between about 15 and 100 euro. It's not fair that people in some regions pay more than others for the same government service, but it's like that.

Foreigners in Belgium will now have an electronic ID card. EU citizens get the same greenish card as Belgian citizens. Non-EU nationals get a pink and blue residency permit. Here is what they look like :

cei_etrangers

Belgian/EU children under 12 get a new ID card too (with the parents' name on it) :

specimen_kids_avec_photo_fr_recto_112006.jpg

I already got my second one haha, since I lost mine in China :eek:kashii:
10euro/card

Here's a picture :
1049177820.gif

Belgium is the first country with this type of id-cards,also a lot of countries showed interest in the system.

Nice. In Spain this type ID-card was lauchend in 2006. Almost 50% of the population already have it.

1155033026_0.jpg

This thread has been viewed 45472 times.

Back