PDA

View Full Version : How do you release stress?

misa.j
08-12-05, 00:26
Besides ranting. ;-)

Not that I'm under a lot of stress right now, but I just wonder how people cope with stress.

Well, I was quite shocked when I watched TV a while ago by the fact that I saw commercials after commercials for pills that would make you feel good, functioned or not worry about anything. They seemed to be targeted to people in their 20s~40s, and the weird thing is that it seemed like as if they were saying that "You are stressed out, and you need these pills. Here, take this red triangle pill, then you will be so happy."

But, how do you release stress? I used to think that sleeping longer was the best solution, but now I have to do something rather active than that. I also think it depends on the kind of stress you have.

When I am physically tired, I stretch or take a little walk in the woods. When I am tired of dealing with people, I read, listen to music, talk to my husband who understands me the best or play with my dog. I think I am extremely lucky to have these things I can do.

What about you?

Dutch Baka
08-12-05, 00:35
When I'm really stressed, I go downstairs, take out the Boxing bag, and just hit it until i almost DROP DOWN, or i take a longer shower than normal, and try to control the way i breath...

say Booo... than breath it... and when you breath out you say DOOO.. concentrate on that.. BOOOO DOOOOO BOOOO DOOO...

Also talking to others can make me less stress full, or writing things down, clear my mind... I always see stress like having a lot of Books on the ground.. all you got to do is pick them up and put them in the shelves... on the alphabet... sometimes you have just 10 books, sometimes 100..

Duo
08-12-05, 00:36
Well I listen daily to music whenever I can so that i never get too stressed out.
Also comedy really helps to be in a good mood. When something is too much though sleep usually is the best cure. I think daily things can help us not carry too much stress or let stress pile up in our backs. By that I mean daily methods of dealing with stress.. whether is playing with your dog.. talkin to ur close one or reading a book or watever it may be

Dutch Baka
08-12-05, 00:37
Do not go to bed with worries in your mind... Budha said this!

Duo
08-12-05, 00:44
Yeah... well when i go to sleep there is nothing in my mind :p

PRIZMATIC
08-12-05, 01:01
To live in the country in which I live is to have stress "25 hours" per day... What do "not take" - lots of problems...To remain here "normal" it is possible if to think - what you will leave this country for ever...At other variants - it is voluntary to "be mad"...

lastmagi
08-12-05, 01:48
I like to play my guitar sometimes. Let my fingers do the 'fretting'! (hey, I didn't realize I'd made a pun until the last word. Pretty cool, huh?)

Doc
08-12-05, 02:14
I play violent video games and verbally abuse the AI in the game to clam down. It helps out a lot. :-)

Doc :wave:

ACMILAN1983
08-12-05, 03:04
I play videogames and listen to music.

I think its really down to the individual how they deal with stress.

Frank D. White
08-12-05, 03:43
I love to sleep 20 hours a day when I'm stressed or down in the dumps.
I love to pet the cats and talk to them. Their purr carms me.
I have a pellet gun shooting range in my cellar, so I shoot for a while.
I save broken things such as VHS players, PC's, etc. and smash the heck out of them with a big hammer.

Frank

:souka:

Clawn
08-12-05, 04:00
I don't get stressed, or when I do (which is rare, for I have almost mastered the art of calmenism ^_^) I just find out why I'm stressed, and then realize either:
A.) How to fix the problem.
B.) That the problem isn't fixable right now, so forget about it and relax.
or
C.) That the problem involves the forces of God, (such as relationship women) or the laws of physics (such as i can't run faster than the other guy in track) and don't it get to me.:-)

P.S.- Frank, I'm lovin' the avatars. ^_^

Dutch Baka
08-12-05, 09:27
I love to sleep 20 hours a day when I'm stressed or down in the dumps.
I love to pet the cats and talk to them. Their purr carms me.
So sweet uncle frank 20 hours in a bed, and with cats..

I have a pellet gun shooting range in my cellar, so I shoot for a while.
I save broken things such as VHS players, PC's, etc. and smash the heck out of them with a big hammer.

.... agressive?

I see a lot of people being agressive when they are stressed... I know it really helps to be sometimes, but to break things and play violent games... is it really good for ya? how about meditation... anybody is using this?

No-name
08-12-05, 10:00
paintball or karate or guitar or hiking

Mars Man
08-12-05, 10:44
Believe it or not, I seldom get stressed out, even with the work load and stuff that I have here, but when I do...and it's always a building thing that I can feel...I take to soft music, preferably Mozart strings, and some soothing 12 yr. scotch, or the guitar, some soft, well bent and hung blues, or sometimes go for a drive. In the summer I may go out and cut weeds with the 0.5 horse weed-eater, or do some carpentry work.

I have very, very, and very, very seldom do go to any physical way that generally resorts to negative release--although the weed cutting could imitate that.

Tsuyoiko
08-12-05, 12:55
I beat the crap out of some alien scum
or
I cry like a baby for an hour or two
or
I have a fairy jasmine (http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.php) bath
or
I destroy something unimportant or punch some cushions
or
I go on the exercise bike
or
I drink a mug of tea with two spoons of sugar

These are what I do after I have gone over the edge, but to avoid stress if I feel it coming on, reading is the best thing for me. And yes, I get stressed a lot.

Kinsao
08-12-05, 13:01
I find that physical exercise is really good for releasing stress. I like to go to the gym and use the treadmill, rowing machine and weights. And of course, plain ordinary walking is good, too. Something about the rhythm of walking helps me to get my thoughts in order.

Like Lastmagi and Sabro said, I love to play my guitar! Sometimes I don't know if it's good for me because I get stressed if I don't play it... :worried: And also playing the keyboard. Again, it's a physical activity even if less strenuous than the gym. Something about the concentration you need in order to keep that optimum control over your body, is really good for de-stressing your mind, because while you are concentrating hard on that, there is no room in your head for the other stressful thoughts.

That is the reason I began to learn keyboard, in fact - I was going through a stressful time and needed something to take my mind off it. And of course, you get a sense of satisfaction, too!

Getting enough sleep is important. I never get enough and I'm trying to do something about this. It's not the lack of sleep in itself that causes me stress, but the fact that tiredness is impairing my memory, speed of thought and work performance, and this makes me worry sometimes (not much though... since when did I care about work... :blush: ).

Listening to music is great, too... but it doesn't always relieve stress... it depends what music it is. Sometimes it makes me feel down instead. But to put on a happy upbeat dance track and dance energetically around the room makes me feel so much better if I have just spent the day sitting in a boring meeting or something - gets the blood circulating again!

Generally I'm like Clawn - don't really get stressed as I'm quite philosophical about things. I'm a big believer in positive action to make you feel better about something, and if there is nothing you can do, not to worry. (I guess you could say, 'serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can', hehe!)

Sometimes I just HAVE TO PUNCH SOMETHING though! Luckily, it always ends up being a pillow, as I don't have a punchbag. That's more out of anger than stress, though! :bluush:

misa.j
10-12-05, 01:47
I find that physical exercise is really good for releasing stress.
I agree. When I get up an hour early in the morning to lift weights, my body has so much more energy that lasts all day. Swimming in an empty pool is one of my favorite ways to de-stress.

How about partying & drinking? Anyone? Besides Mars Man who likes scotch.

Kinsao
10-12-05, 02:00
Absolutely! :cool:
Sometimes when I'm thoroughly fed up and p**sed off, there's nothing like a good night out... or failing that, just going round to a friend's house and drinking and doing nothing in front of some stupid crappy TV programme... and just generally getting yourself back down to earth. :-)

Doc
10-12-05, 02:28
Alcoholism and stress do not mix will, and I condemn it too. I refuse to drink when I'm stressed, as it only can create more problems in the end. I should know because I am genetically predisposed to become an alcoholic should I start drinking. Therefore, I naturally refuse to drink at all. As for exercise I absolutely love it. I even find it better than a sexual release! I love exercise, plus it's a great stress reducer! :-)

Ma Cherie
10-12-05, 02:35
I just go jogging, have a nice cup of coffee or tea. Or sometimes I just go somewhere to be by myself. That's all I do pretty much.:p

Kinsao
10-12-05, 16:43
Alcoholism and stress do not mix will, and I condemn it too. I refuse to drink when I'm stressed, as it only can create more problems in the end. I should know because I am genetically predisposed to become an alcoholic should I start drinking. Therefore, I naturally refuse to drink at all. As for exercise I absolutely love it. I even find it better than a sexual release! I love exercise, plus it's a great stress reducer! :-)

Sex is good exercise, too. :hihi:

Dutch Baka
10-12-05, 16:48

HEE THAT IS MY LINE:relief:

Kinsao
10-12-05, 16:49
* makes big sign saying "Fat people need more sex!!!" * :blush:

lost
11-12-05, 20:02
hahahaa! sex! i was actually thinking about sleep....but then sex is nice....

Dutch Baka
11-12-05, 20:08
+r..........

Carlson
11-12-05, 20:09
i normaly hold stress in...

Doc
11-12-05, 22:56

Not that good.....:okashii:

* makes big sign saying "Fat people need more sex!!!" *

Oi! Are you saying that I'm fat?!

......:okashii:

Carlson
11-12-05, 22:58
maybe just a little extra?.. lol

Doc
11-12-05, 22:59
i normaly hold stress in...

Which is not good. It said scientifically and medically that if a man does that all through is life, that by the time he is forty he will have more stress built up than a pregnant woman. My Father would be a prime example of this. In short, don't hold it in because it'll mess you up more in the end than you really think.

Doc
11-12-05, 23:00
maybe just a little extra?.. lol

Oi, so you think I'm fat too!

.....:okashii:

Dutch Baka
11-12-05, 23:02
are you?......

Doc
11-12-05, 23:10
No I'm not.

Kinsao
11-12-05, 23:17
Oi! Are you saying that I'm fat?!

......:okashii:

Noooo! :sorry:
*prods spare tire* XDD
Just a lame attempt to get more action... :lol:

Doc
11-12-05, 23:33

Well you ain't getting any from me!

Kinsao
12-12-05, 00:35

Well you ain't getting any from me!

Awwww... you've made me feel all rejected now. :( *sulks* :lol:
Maybe someone else will take notice of my sign. :-)
I'm gonna start a new exercise club in my city. :hihi:

Doc
12-12-05, 00:58
Awwww... you've made me feel all rejected now. :( *sulks* :lol:

Now you know how I felt when you called me fat!:okashii:

Maybe someone else will take notice of my sign. :-)

Oh I noticed your sign, it's just that you live way across the pond. Plus, I don't think you'd like it anyway. One, I'm a virgin. Two, I have a very hairy chest, including legs and arms. Three, I have a very large frame meaning that I have very broad shoulders and a large neck because of my bone structure. In other words I'm literally big boned in a sense, yet I'm not fat ironically enough. And since I'm large framed and have musucles I'm sure that's a turn off for you considering you're a lover of j-rocker bodies.

I'm gonna start a new exercise club in my city. :hihi:

Make sure it's not one of those where it's filled with nothing, but heavy body builders. Those people freak me out, plus they end up having more heart conditions when they're older anyway because they feel that the more weight you use to make yourself buff, the better. However, it actually kills your heart in the end. Remember it's not much you do, rather how many you do and how you do them.:-)

Kinsao
12-12-05, 01:28
Now you know how I felt when you called me fat!:okashii:

I didn't call you fat. :okashii: My comment was directed at people at random. J.O.K.E.

One, I'm a virgin.

Shock! Horror! I fear virgins! :silly:
Honestlyyyyyyy.... :okashii:

And since I'm large framed and have musucles I'm sure that's a turn off for you considering you're a lover of j-rocker bodies.

Actually, believe it or not, I don't like skinny guys. Yes, it's true. Oh yeah, they're very pretty to look at on nice shiny photos an' all, but I don't like to sit next to some guy and feel that he'd break if I hugged him too hard. :buuh:

Remember it's now much you do, rather how many you do and how you do them.:-)

Aha. I'll be sure and remember that. :hihi:

Doc
12-12-05, 01:47
I didn't call you fat. :okashii: My comment was directed at people at random. J.O.K.E.

I know I just felt like giving you a hard time about it. ;-) It helps me relieve stress. :giggle:

Shock! Horror! I fear virgins! :silly:
Honestlyyyyyyy.... :okashii:

Yeah well, the sex would probably still be pretty bad. I mean come on, as they say there nothing is more worse than to have sex with somebody who has no experience what-so-ever, while you do have experience. Also I'm physically inadaqute so that doesn't at all. I guarantee you won't feel anything at all because I'm so small you need a microscope to find it. Mr. Happy is really Mr. Sad in the end. That and like I said I'm hairy, and well we all know how women feel about hairy men. (Shaven not stirred is the saying right?) So I doubt it would be very memorable for you, or even remotely stimulating in the slightest bit. You'll drop me faster than George W. Bush's approval rating going down the toliet.

Actually, believe it or not, I don't like skinny guys. Yes, it's true. Oh yeah, they're very pretty to look at on nice shiny photos an' all, but I don't like to sit next to some guy and feel that he'd break if I hugged him too hard. :buuh:

When I see people like that I think of my best friend. He's a twig yet he can kick your ass because he's so freaking tall. Still I like teasing him by going "eat something". Anyway it still doesn't make me feel any better.

Aha. I'll be sure and remember that. :hihi:

Yeah, I'm sure you will.....:relief:

Hideki_Matsui_Beast
12-12-05, 02:27
I think everyone here wants to say masturbation...

Wow! Did I say that out loud???:relief:

Doc
12-12-05, 05:23
I didn't hear anything. :silly:

Hailing the bishop? I'll agree to that. :silly:

Tsuyoiko
12-12-05, 14:40
@Doc - hey, Misa said what do you do to relieve stress aside from ranting (j/k :p ). I think you sound like a lovely hunk. I like chunky, hairy men 'cos they are more manly, IMO.

Getting back to the alcohol thing, I think you have to be careful. Nothing calms you like a relaxing drink, but you have to be sure it's not your only de-stresser, and that you don't rely on it. I avoid alcohol as a stress reliever, as I don't want to start down that route.

kirei_na_me
12-12-05, 15:35
Talking with my best friend helps me. Not ranting, just talking with him. He makes me laugh constantly, and that makes me forget about whatever was getting me down or making me stress out. He never fails in lifting my spirits. Never. I'm so fortunate to have him.

Of course, sex is great for releasing stress, but I was going to stay away from that. Saying that I like sex has gotten me into trouble before... :p

Kinsao
12-12-05, 15:55
I can't believe I forgot to mention talking with friends! :bluush: Not even talking, but just being with people. I mean, they're like the most important thing in my life an' all..... It's a great way to get troublesome things back into perspective.

I guess on that note I could say that theater is a good stress reliever! (working on it, not watching it... although maybe watching it is a stress reliever for some people?) Because you have to concentrate hard, and also the physical work involved (hoisting large heavy objects around etc.)... in a similar principle to the 'play an instrument' school of stress-relief. :-)

Saying that I like sex has gotten me into trouble before...

Hmmm... I can imagine. :hihi:

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug
12-12-05, 16:01
I go downstairs and beat the f**king s**t outta my punching bag :-)
Something that also helps is deep breathing. Breath and emotion are intertwined WAY more then you think. Breathe deep, it really helps. And don't breathe from the chest, you'll hyperventilate, breathe from the diaphragm. In through the nose, out through the mouth. You should feel your stomach rise and fall with each breath, your chest shouldn't move at all. Again to make sure it's clear DO NOT BREATH FROM THE CHEST it's bad for you. Wanna know why women in the 18th century always fainted? Their corsets only allowed them to breathe from the chest and they would hyperventilate and faint *nods*.
Yoga helps too 'cause we store stress in our muscles and it helps work it out.

Carlson
12-12-05, 17:14
Which is not good. It said scientifically and medically that if a man does that all through is life, that by the time he is forty he will have more stress built up than a pregnant woman. My Father would be a prime example of this. In short, don't hold it in because it'll mess you up more in the end than you really think.

just the kind of person i am... always have been....

Winter
13-12-05, 01:35
Whenever I get stressed enough to the point that I actually give a shat, I go through this whole process.

First, I get overwhelmed with the stress, then that turns into a fierce anxiety. That anxiety eventually mutates into a panicky feeling of hopelessness, and a sharp depression.

The moment that happens, I get angry about being down, and start getting all heated up, and motivated to solve whatever issues that got me stressed in the first place.

I tried the whole talking to friends spiel, but that only ends up annoying me, when people try to do the 'I know how you feel' relating thing.

As for the sex method, I have to disagree with the efficiency of it. When I'm stressed, I cant concentrate on much else, let alone sex, and if I try to focus on something other than whatever got me stressed, I end up getting angry, and eventually somebody walks away from the situation with a bum leg or something.

misa.j
13-12-05, 02:01
Surprisingly simple but very effective thing is laughing your a** out. It boosts serotonin, chemical that puts you in a good mood, in your brain. When I laugh so hard that I get tears in my eyes, I never think about what has been bothering me one bit.

And, I feel the same way with some of you guys about drinking for de-stressing. Side effects seem much greater in that.

Anchyyy
18-12-05, 15:37
With smoking. Not very proud of it, but anyway it calms me, to the point i can think clearly. I also talk with my best friend. That helps a lot too. And like misa mentioned laugh is a great way to release stress:D

NotUrHero
07-09-19, 12:38
So, when I'm in a really bad mood, music and playing with dogs can help me.
I also smoke tobbaco a lot.

RoeGriffin
16-11-19, 23:09
When at all possible, cutting off or limiting contact with people who cause you stress.

17-11-19, 00:21
When at all possible, cutting off or limiting contact with people who cause you stress.

If who or what is causing you stress is at work (bosses, inane co-workers), then that answer is problematic. I always planned my day around a noon work-out. That split up my day, but more importantly allowed me to cleanse my mind of the absurdities that often popped up in the office. I usually came back with a better attitude.