Learning Russian

MWThomas

Reaction score
Is Russian a difficult language to learn, not only to speak, but to read?

Using a modified cyrillic alphabet with 33 letters, I'd say it'd be a rough language to start learning, but once you can confidently sound the words out it should just be a matter of mastering the grammar structures.

At my school, Russian is ranked at the top of the difficulty chart for languages, along with Japanese, Chinese, and Arabic, though this might be because they all have completely different alphabets from English. As a westerner learning a language that uses Kanji, I constantly have the feeling of being partially illiterate, as I run into characters that are new to me every day. It's a great learning experience but a bit frustrating at times.

Are you considering picking up Russian? let us know how it goes. Here's a wikipedia article on the language http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_language and there should be a few people on the boards that probably speak it; just look for the flag ;)

pronounciation might give you hard time. To read you`ll have to learn the alphabet different from latin. If you are familiar with spanish then grammar might not be too difficult for you. Well, we decline, conjugate (have flexions)

I would agree with Void.

I'm afraid I don't know much, if any Russian - but I can 'read' (but can't translate) it quite easily. I did once (with no options! - it was a compulsory high school subject ...!)have to study Greek. The alphabet was a breeze - took two weeks at most to become "natural" and has many similiarities with Cyrillic. (I was only twelve years old at the time, too!)

The grammar will be far more complex than English - but since English has very little grammar to start with - all languages will give you the same problem!

A useful language to have at your disposal though! Especially today.

Good luck! (Хорошее Везение!)

ジョン

Of course I would have to agree with Void, he has to be in the know on that one. Oh, may I please encourage you, MWThomas, to work hard at learning that language. I found it very interesting, though hard due to all the moods that you have to learn by heart, and how they are shown with inflections and such.

I took Russian for two semesters in college, my first two, at that--I made an F in English Comp., but an A+ in Russian. Now why I didn't pursue it further after that beats me, I still have the books and some LP discs, (I'd like to get some CDs, and get it back) but lack of use has caused it to rust a lot.

Please do learn the language !!!

Where can I find information about schools that teach Russian and Japanese in Virginia?

...:blush: Difficulty of "Russian" not is so much in variety of "rules" which should be known and which vary in due course, for example - rules ???????r?????y???p?~?y?? some words with "U" and "YU" which I learned at school now are changed, etc., and that at all "complexity" is not enough them that it is possible "to express" .?S?p?{, for example, the word "love" (provisional sense in Russian variant - " liking to a sight ") concerns to all - both to the person, and to an animal and to a thing... And that you feel that to the woman much more than is located in sense of this word... Especially I am irritated with definition of the husband and the wife, in Russian variant it is derivatives from words "man" and "woman" - reminds definition of "dogs" on sex... And such "problems" in this language - in many set.. Personally I am ready to learn either the Korean or Japanese language instead of Russian and forget, that once knew Russian...

That sounds interesting PRIZMATIC san ! I'll have to pull out my books, blow the dust off them, and start reviewing again...but I need to get an English-Russian dictionary too.

I gess all languages have their bad areas; and terminology changes too.

Mars Man san!:angel:...
P.S. Problem not in " bad areas " , problem - from "necessary" I cannot express much through "Russian"...:blush:

since my native language is Russian i tend to disagree with Prizmatic (but, maybe i just don`t understand his point).
1. every language has its share of abnormal or abusive lexis
2. as well as english has at least "love" and "like", russian also makes difference between these two feelings (that speakers often don`t distinguish them in their speech only describes their idiolect, not the language itself)
3. grammar rules tend to change in any language
4. flexions make language very rich as well as big set of affixes (is it correct plural form?) Though it is true for lots of languages but not often used by non-native speakers
5. russian language allows to express any hew of a feeling or emotion. the only limit it has is 3 genders and different from english approach to times (though, i might be mistaken - i am not a linguist)

:blush: When that rules the spelling, probably natural process aside simplifications of language vary... But if comparing Russian, for example, the eleventh century - you understand, what together with simplification and the set of senses in this language was lost also many... And now it " a plural set of the simplified and simplified words "... But if when you reflect - how, for example, to express feeling to the girlfriend, which causes ten shades of feelings of love in you, understand what to make it it is possible only in the comparative form... And it already "delirium"... Language which lost " direct forms of expression " - " died language "... Well and about forms I shall not speak " the Zen of constructions " - it is necessary many and many for use of simplified words so much to express sense, what to read it then extremely difficultly, really to understand...
But the most important is my personal relation to Russian language... I hope, I have such right while Putin in finally has not returned us in " the Soviet union a-lya Putin "...

But if comparing Russian, for example, the eleventh century - you understand, what together with simplification and the set of senses in this language was lost also many...
may i ask? Have you ever read English of 11th century? Try and find an
example, - i bet you`d be surprised %)

And now it " a plural set of the simplified and simplified words "
and one more time this is not language what is lacking smth, these are speakers who have poor vocabulary, small thesaurus and lame tongue. If my ideolect is limited to the forms of ?^?|?|?????{?p-?|???t???u?t?{?p it doesn`t mean that the language itself is limited (it is only a sign of my mental abilities :D)

But if when you reflect - how, for example, to express feeling to the
girlfriend, which causes ten shades of feelings of love in you, understand
what to make it it is possible only in the comparative form...
forgive me my rudeness but i feel sorry for you and your girlfriend. For hundreds of hews there are hundreds of words. In ANY language they will be comparative, that`s what turns the language into melody, into picture, into poetry

i like you... bewildered... burning ... attracted... adore... my soul is blooming... i care... flooding... i treasure... i want you... overwhelming... serenity... exalted... my heart grows warm... enchanted... embracing... trembling.. excited... tranquil... pleased... admire... trust (and entrust)... inspire... tenderness... devotion... touched... and many more

hundreds of words of different parts of speech, all enveloped into one word
signifying one, but unlimited feeling - love

I was once told that "direct forms of expression" doesn`t really matter and not needed. Because true feeling is hidden in little hints, slightests moves,
occasional words, in the eyes, in actions. And no exact word is able to cover
lies, because love is not in words but in a way one used them.

But the most important is my personal relation to Russian language... I hope, I have such right while Putin in finally has not returned us in " the Soviet union a-lya Putin "...
well, Zen also says that truly free person is free everywhere %)

If I spoke " similar words " to the girlfriend, I am sorry - that she would meet me not long time... And I would understand her... As it " forms of expressions " are not peculiar to me... It is Enough to touch only the girlfriend and she " will read all this - in the (!) feelings "... Words are necessary for new forms of revelations for me... For the description of that of " the World of a reality " which becomes for me in the woman...
We speak about different measurements...
Freedom the Zen is internal freedom... But there is "external world"... Also there is still " an external world in Russia "... There Are the half-starved old men surviving for poor pensions, at that time when on the TV we show " the lured supernumeraries, as a rule from former workers of that system ", which destroying own people for "heterodoxy"... There Is much and many other things, that there is Russia...
And it is not pleasant for me...

yet, this
Also there is still " an external world in Russia "... There Are the half-starved old men surviving for poor pensions, at that time when on the TV we show " the lured supernumeraries, as a rule from former workers of that system ", which destroying own people for "heterodoxy"... There Is much and many other things, that there is Russia...
And it is not pleasant for me...
is not pleasing at all, but doesn`t prevent you from having "personal relation" to Russian language. Putin has nothing to do with this relation

Joke: there Were two Russian on one site...
It so - about Putin... He and Russian Language not " twins brothers " and when we speak "Russian" we we do not mean "Putin"...
But and if it is serious, " language forms " - in many respects define mentality... Than more primitively range " opportunities of this or that language ", the more primitively and faculty mentality (without insults - a pure statement of the fact) . And a history of Russia - direct acknowledgement to that... Because of " mentality of heads " people constantly pays " the big victims " - during all times of Russia... And same " mentality of people " gives it such "heads"...
For example, in Russia like to speak much about " the Second World war ", but you will hear nothing about the first genocide Russian - " a christening of Russia "... Besides, now by hook or by crook, that prince Vladimir,praised to the skies , as "benefactor" for Russia... Only today on TV there was an advertising of a cartoon film about it... Already and our children " poison with this lie "... Here and Putin appears - the unscrupulous official to whom " to spit on all this "... The Main thing - to be kept at authority...
All right is an infinite discussion " two Russian "...
"In today's has pleased" me - Putin has declared, in Azerbaijan that it is very important to respect religious feelings of others - and it means, that he has indirectly recognized my right to leave from Russia on by religious motives...

two russians... maybe, but it`s rather idealization... and nevertheless you do not distinguish linguistics and cultural "mentality" (very popular word nowdays and only few will dare to explain "what the hell is this")

For at least 10 years i don`t need a reason to leave Russia... i am allowed to profess any religion as long as it doesn`t endanger people around

Yes baptising of Russia was done with the sword and many people today admit it. But it also was a political move, which had its reasons.
And if to speak about crippled language (which is highly questionable, imo) then it was rather done by writing system imposed by Kirill and Mefody

When I mentioned a word "mentality" used it not to " cultural stratifications ", and is concrete - to " a design of language "... It is a separate theme... And rather complex...
Now about "Christening" - as many same Russian people " are poured by tears " thinking about Jesus Christ's crucifixion... And as few same Russian people of esteeming ancestors which have remained true to " belief of the fathers " and have been destroyed... But it too rather complex theme...
I simply would not like to live in such country where fidelity to " the belief " our ancestors try to erase at us from memory... I respect the ancestors... Also I am not going to forget about them...
That it was easier to understand - for me one thousand years ago Russia did not begin...
It only " a phantom of the Byzantian empire ", which symbol " is proud towers " above enslavement people... But it - for me...

Well, I must admit that I'm having a little bit of a hard time following, although I think I can get the general drift. It may have gone onto a side road to linguistics at the moment, and maybe that's why--NOT saying anything's bad about that, though....

I'll keep following along. It is interesting.

When I mentioned a word "mentality" used it not to " cultural stratifications ",
and is concrete - to " a design of language "... It is a separate theme...
And rather complex...
Then elaborate it, please. `Cause i don`t see a connection you are trying
to draw. For me it looks rather like you are producing you own linguistical
problems onto language itself.
But as we say don`t mix soft with white, please. It is "Linguistics" section not political one. If you want to bring out political or historical issues it is better to do in another subforums
Now about "Christening" - as many same Russian people " are poured by tears " thinking about Jesus Christ's crucifixion... And as few same Russian people of esteeming ancestors which have remained true to " belief of the fathers " and have been destroyed... But it too rather complex theme...
I simply would not like to live in such country where fidelity to " the belief " our ancestors try to erase at us from memory...
I respect the ancestors... Also I am not going to forget about them...
That it was easier to understand - for me one thousand years ago Russia did not begin...
It only " a phantom of the Byzantian empire ", which symbol "
is proud towers " above enslavement people... But it - for me...
do you know european history well enough? do you know that it is also wasn`t always peacefully baptized? Where would you live then? Asia? i am afraid some "revelations" in their history might also be of the "I simply would not like to live in such country where fidelity to " the belief " our ancestors try to erase at us from memory... " type
As we also say "it is good at the places where there are no us" (and then add "but we are everywhere" :D) "We" can be applied to any - russian or humans in general, as you know
It is good to keep memory about ancestors, but those people who were born 100 (and more) years after "christianisation" are also your ancestors. And they done a lot to the glory of a country and, who knows, maybe, even to the possibility of your birth. Should they be forgotten for the sake of older ones, just because they were raised under different religious ideals?
Russia begins not the hundred or thousand years ago, it begins when people
identify themselves as russians. It begins every minute when a new member of society is born -not the baby is born, but the one who is willing to contribute to what is called "Russia" and to accept it with all its history, achievments and wrongs, with glorious and horrible deeds. The one who realizes that there is nothing wrong in being russian, as well as nothing wrong in being american or chinese.
I am not being pathetic, i can see what`s going on and aware of how many
times our history was revised (you`d be surprised, but Ivan the Terrible and his actions were not as barbarius comparing to europe as portraited ), but i also know for sure that our country would be much better when at the places so called "small" people will do what they are suppose to do with all the quality and responsibility, when one would really respect his neighbour and give him a helping hand, and on the question "what? do you need more than others?" would answer "yes, because i care"
=================================
back to the linguistics.
In every language there are grammar forms and word that are direct and
even "blunt". Maybe it came form early ages when cooperative activities
had to be directed somehow (therefore the word-code had to be decoded in a
same way by everyone)
But language evolved, beside practical context it gained semantical context
as well. It became a tool to express and describe not just an external world
but also internal one. There are no two absolutely identical people and when it comes to expressing a feeling (especially complex ones) direct words don`t always help.
And, btw, lots of people get tired of too many words ("blunt" or comparative),
usually we also expect some deeds confirming what was said.
Words are necessary for new forms of revelations for me...
For the description of that of " the World of a reality " which becomes
for me in the woman...
they are there, within a reach and within russian language...
but sometimes it can be expressed through other arts which don`t require words, but yet, say a lot %)
We speak about different measurements...
then bring out a scale which serves as gauge in your measurments, and we shall see how different it is. And, by the way, don`t forget to point a subject you are measuring
Thanks in advance

This thread has been viewed 21537 times.

Back