One for Hyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, soon it's a fashion statement ! This is the I was worried about.

It seems these days people are trying to promote being gay or lesbian, it's your own free choice for crying out loud.On tv there are nothing but commercials that almost want to persuade you to be gay because it's cool! :eek:kashii:

My favourite has this on it:

18.gif

I have a feeling the issue arose because of the appropriateness or otherwise of her slogan to the school photo day, rather than whether she was a lesbian or not. :clueless:

You're probably right Kinsao - which is one reason why most schools in the UK have uniforms I suppose.

Wow, talk about baiting someone. This is low even for you dear Mike.

For years straights have been allowed to wear shirts that refer to their orientation. Why should gays not be able to do the same? Men are able to wear shirts stating how much they like woman why can't woman do the same?
And it's not about converting, it's about freedom of speech. I hate that the USA claims to have free speech and yet is imposing censorship on the sheep-like masses.
Girls can wear a shirt that says, "guy wanted" but can they wear one that says, "girl wanted"? Oh, of course not. The hell? Seriously, it's no different. If you think those who wear gay pride shirts are trying to convert people then you have to realize that can be flipped as well. I could say that straights are trying to make everyone straight. :wary:

Last edited:
Schools do have an obligation to maintain order and minimize disruption as well as to preserve the free expression of the students.

As a high school assistant principal I would have asked her to take the t-shirt off for the picture. (Well not take it off, that might be worse... change it would probably be better.) The picture is not the proper forum for free speech... it has another purpose. What happens in our photos is wording on all shirts and any errant hand signs and middle fingers get digitally edited out, so I may not actually have to ask as the "message" would get removed in the photo studio.

I asked a girl not to wear her "Cheerleaders Suck" T-shirt because it was disrupting school activities. This T-Shirt skirts the edge of the dress code, but if it prompted excessive responses from other students, I too would as that it be replaced. But it does not offend me, nor do I feel it is overtly provocative. Kids cannot wear sexually explicit messages, images that promote guns, drugs, tabacco, alcohol, or anything that is gang related. Sharp spikes, simulated bullets, certain number/text combinations, baggy and/or saggy pants, revealing clothing, muscle shirts, chains, mid drifts and tank tops...All those would constitute a disruption of the educational process.

Yeah, I think it was more the fact that she had a 'sex-related' slogan on her tshirt that bothered them, rather than the sexual orientation thing.

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug said:
Wow, talk about baiting someone. This is low even for you dear Mike.
It's interesting how your perception of Mike's intention with this thread is so different from mine. I thought he was doing something sweet by starting a thread that he thought might interest you - especially as he rarely starts threads. It never occurred to me that he was trying to provoke you.

You call this "sweet"? Well, that certainly is another way of looking at it. But my statement still stands.

Oh, and wearing a shirt stating one is a lesbian is not being sexually explicit, promoting guns, drugs, smoking, alcohol etc. Therefore I see no valid reason for asking a student to wear a different shirt for a picture. That is infringing on free speech. Would you ask them to switch shirts if it said, "No one knows I'm straight?" No. Double standard.

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug said:
You call this "sweet"? Well, that certainly is another way of looking at it. But my statement still stands.
Maybe. I actually think Mike is quite fond of you. :)

*raises eyebrow* I would certainly hope not.

Actually for the photo I would ask someone to change a shirt that says "no one knows I am straight." and like I said, if that shirt cause unnecessary disruption during the school day, it would have to go.

Maybe you would but I seriously doubt anyone else would. :wary:

Like Hyde, I, too, saw it as baiting. Why should that story be, "One for Hyde," just because Hyde is a lesbian? Just because Hyde is a lesbian, does that mean all things "lesbian" are "one for her?"

Why not put the article on a thread with a title without Hyde`s handle affixed to it and ask for people`s opinion on it. That way Hyde can comment freely if she wants rather than having a "megaphone" announcement to her. What if I were to post handles in a number of religious threads aimed directly at a particular member? I am guessing that would have gotten the quick whip of censorship. wink wink ;) Some of you know what I am talking about.

I agree with Sabro. Personally I'm pretty sure if I'd worn my 'I like men' shirt for my school pic, I would have been asked to change out of it. That's not sexually 'explicit' but... well, rules for school are known to be more restrictive and 'prudish' than for the outside world, so unfortunately we have to deal with it!

strongvoicesforward said:
Like Hyde, I, too, saw it as baiting. Why should that story be, "One for Hyde," just because Hyde is a lesbian? Just because Hyde is a lesbian, does that mean all things "lesbian" are "one for her?"
Why not put the article on a thread with a title without Hyde`s handle affixed to it and ask for people`s opinion on it. That way Hyde can comment freely if she wants rather than having a "megaphone" announcement to her. What if I were to post handles in a number of religious threads aimed directly at a particular member? I am guessing that would have gotten the quick whip of censorship. wink wink ;) Some of you know what I am talking about.
Thank yoooooooooooou, SVF-san! Seriously, Mike, you did not have to put my name in the title. Putting it there is clearly a bait to get me to reply.

Kinsao said:
I agree with Sabro. Personally I'm pretty sure if I'd worn my 'I like men' shirt for my school pic, I would have been asked to change out of it. That's not sexually 'explicit' but... well, rules for school are known to be more restrictive and 'prudish' than for the outside world, so unfortunately we have to deal with it!

Having to "deal with it" does not mean it is right or even justifies it. Sometimes violating something that is an unjust thing is the best way to destroy that which is unjust.

Exactly. We shouldn't have to grit our teeth and take it just because "that's the way it is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 24260 times.

Back