Brits to get ID cards from 2008

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Britain is one of the few EU countries without a system of ID cards. Several countries have compulsory ID cards for everyone, including :

- Portugal (from 10 years old)
- Hungary (from 14)
- Romania (from 14)
- Spain (from 14)
- Belgium (from 15)
- Germany (from 16)
- Poland (from 18)
- Slovenia (from 18)

France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden and Finland have non-compulsory ID cards. It is more popular in some countries than others. For instance, 90% of French people have one.

Currently, the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Norway and Iceland do not have ID cards.

The UK intends to make the new ID card compulsory for anyone owning a passport, and voluntary for others. The card would be the same size as a credit card and possess an electronic chip, like those in Belgium and Italy.

More information on the following sites :

BBC Q&A: Identity card plans

Wikipedia : British national identity card

I should note that our government wants them by 2008. Whether we get them or not is a different matter. Even the labour party is split on ID cards, and then it must pass through the Lords, again. Asthe Q&A page said it could ping pong for ages, and Tony might have gone by then. A change of leader could make some of labours policies fall by the wayside

We probably wont be getting ID cards, its highly opposed idea, us brits are very strongly protective or our freedoms and privacy and general liberties, so chances are it will come to nothing.

Still, you can always wish cant you mac?....

nurizeko said:
We probably wont be getting ID cards, its highly opposed idea, us brits are very strongly protective or our freedoms and privacy and general liberties, so chances are it will come to nothing.
I don't think you really understand what is at stake. Read my reply to Kinsao's thread about ID cards. It is justly because I am strongly protective of my freedom and privacy that I like the ID card system. I certainly do not wish that somebody tries to pass for me, get access to my private stuff just because they say they are me, or make some fake member card or whatever to "prove" their identity. I would be dead against ID cards if they were easily falsifiable. Those we have in Belgium are harder to copy that the most secure banknotes. What's more, as it is electronic, if stolen, you just call a number and block it immediately, like a credit card. You can't do that with passports. So, given the choice, I'd prefer a Belgian ID card to a passport, as a proof of identity.

What bugs me is people would be obliged to have and carry one, that screams to me in favour of police and the government to check up on you.

Im not willing to assist the degredation of democracy to open the doors for a future possible tyrant.

Plus i kinda view it as an infringement on my privacy alone, silly idea but, i dont take people forcing stuff on me kindly, no matter what it is.

I guess its my rebellious aspect....god knows, us british have never been good at taking things lying down.

nurizeko said:
What bugs me is people would be obliged to have and carry one, that screams to me in favour of police and the government to check up on you.

Not at all. Many countries have voluntary ID cards, so nodoby is obliged to have one, and even less to carry one at all times.

Im not willing to assist the degredation of democracy to open the doors for a future possible tyrant.

Then you should welcome tougher protection of people's identity.

Plus i kinda view it as an infringement on my privacy alone, silly idea but, i dont take people forcing stuff on me kindly, no matter what it is.

Privacy-wise, what's the difference between having a driving licence or health insurance card, or an ID card ? In fact, modern ID cards are safer, as the only real private data (e.g. address) apart from one's name and birthdate, is on the chip. So if the card is lost or stolen, nobody can access it (if you report you card lost/stolen, it is blocked and can't be read anymore, like for credit cards).

nurizeko said:
As if they needed an ID card for that. It makes these buggers' lives a little bit easier, but that's all.

Hmm, I don't know. Aren't these spy cams on British streets quite a privacy infringement as well. ID cards aren't really worse than that (unless a little chip with GPS were included).

This thread has been viewed 7849 times.

Back