Do people have bachelor parties where you come from ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Watching American series or movies I often hear about bachelor parties, often with a stripper coming to a home parties with all the groom's male friends, or they just go to a strip club. Sometimes girls have bachelorette parties with a male stripper.

I have never heard of any similar tradition in Europe or Japan. In fact, here we don't have bachelor parties at all (even without strippers). However I do not know the wedding traditions in all European countries. Does this exist somewhere else than in North America ? Do most American people do that, or is it just in some regions (e.g. New York) or a certain category of people ?

Bacehlor parties, also known as stag parties, definitely depend on what kind of people the groom, groomsmen, and bride are. As far as I know, it's a fairly universal thing in the States, though I can certainly see it being somewhat frowned upon in more religious areas.

Over here they are called "stag parties" or are referred to as "stag night" (as in "what are you doing for your stag night?"), while womens bachelorette parties are called "hens parties" or "hen night".
Most people in England will have a stag or hen night, but stag nights seem to be more widely practised in the various social classes (stag night usually involves strippers, pub crawls, dares, stunts etc) while a hen night, although it may also consist of male strippers and general partying like a stag night, may be as simple as a night in with the women of the family and girl friends.

What do people do in japan before a couple is wed? Anything special or traditional?

MeAndroo said:
Bacehlor parties, also known as stag parties, definitely depend on what kind of people the groom, groomsmen, and bride are. As far as I know, it's a fairly universal thing in the States, though I can certainly see it being somewhat frowned upon in more religious areas.
That's funny because in Belgium, which is by far less religious and conservative in average than the USA (gay marriages and marijuana are both legal), it would be frown upon just to go to a strip club without even being engaged.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
What do people do in japan before a couple is wed? Anything special or traditional?
Not that I know of. Neither in Belgium or France.

I found the related article on Wikipedia and it seems to be mostly a thing that people do in English speaking countries, or maybe also in Germanic countries. That doesn't seem to exist in Latin countries and the rest of the world (I am pretty it doesn't in Muslim countries !)

Some people do have these kind of parties in Finland (called "polttarit"). From what I've read they usually involve the groom and his buddies having some good time together, possibly heavy drinking and doing something out of the ordinary (so it is not just a regular night out). Often times the groom has to endure all sorts of foolish things schemed by his friends which makes up for some embarrasing stories :p

edit:

On the etymology of the word polttarit. It comes from the German word polterabend and means "a loud/noisy party". Evil spirits were hushed away by being noisy.

These parties were already held in 1870's in Finland and in 1890's they were already common among female too (of the higher social classes). The bride's parties involved dressing as men, possibly as a parody of the polttarit held for the groom.

While entertaining and teasing the groom was always characteristic of the parties, the humiliating/embarrasing aspects (including the groom wearing some kind of stupid costume and making him do stupid tricks and tasks) and generally making a ruckus in public are modern characteristics (from 1960's onwards).

I hope this info is correct, got it from http://www.naimisiin.info/haaopas/perinnepolttarit.html (in Finnish).

I don't think bachelor's party exists in Chinese culture in general (not just talking about Chinese from China here). However if Chinese do the bachelor party act before they got married they are following the Western habit, I think some Chinese who live in the west do this.

Bachelor's party exists in French culture too, pretty much the same thing as Anglo Saxon?fs bachelor's party.

It's not common where I come from...i also find the idea of a bachelor party somewhat stupid...i wouldn't want my future wife to have one that's for sure...here in brussels though when sm belgian couples are getting married at times the bride will go to the center with her friends and try to have as many guys kiss some white shirt she's wearing after they put lipstick on them...

Not only do people have bachelor parties where I come from, there are also bachelorette parties. Though they are not as common.

Well, I am basically from where the lovely young lady above is from, and so I am just here to ditto that !! (I didn't have one because here in Japan, where I married both times, they most generally don't have such a thing. The time to go wild is at the second party which comes after the main wedding reception. The second party is only for the friends. ) MM

I want to arrange Bachelor’s party. So my bachelor’s party is come up in 5 weeks. Any suggestions?

Here they are the same, Strippers, booze partying pub crawling etc etc except we call them Buck shows.

the Bride also does a similar thing but they are called Hens Nights.

This thread has been viewed 23843 times.

Back