Would you eat haggis?

Would you eat haggis?

• Mmmmm.....haggis......(drool)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haggis...is that really edible?

• If you make it worth my while, I might...

• Not even under threat of being drawn and quartered!!

• Total voters
I've seen once how they prepare it. No thanks :D

Perhaps Whiskey is the spoon full of sugar that helps the haggis go down?

First of all, I have absolutely no earthly nor martian idea just what that might be.

Then, I voted for the 'maybe, if on a dare' I have just now noticed, while scrolling down just now, that there is a link that I missed. I'll check that out and come back, with a better informed decision--even though I can't change my original vote, and probably wouldn't anyway.

An interesting and informative thread here !!

It doesn't look very good. :sick:

I am thinking that if I am ever in Scotland that it is something I must do.

OK...checked it out now, finally, and just as I had predicted, my vote wouldn't change.

I recall in the movie Dancing with Wolves (if I got that title correct) how the Native Americans had been complaining about the waste of killing the buffalo simply for their fur and not using the whole animal. I recall a documentary on a tribe in Africa, and how they both respected the animals used for food and thus made sure that nothing was wasted after a slaughter. In this sense, the dish may well make sense. But. . .

I think Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons said it best:

Groundskeeper Willie said:
Git yer haggis, right here. Chopped hart n' lungs. Boiled in a wee sheeps' stomach. Taste's as good as it sounds. Good for what ails ya....

Here eating the stomach, liver or heart of an animal is a very well accepted behavior so I don't see why I would have a problem with that.

Never heard of it, but the ingredients don't look so tasty to me...no offence.:bluush:

It's basically like a more savoury kind of mince.
If you don't know what in it, it's actually quite nice. Imports are apparently banned to the US, something to do with animal organs.

I have seen haggis topped pizza in the super markets,
mozzarella and haggis don't go well together.

I'm always willing to try a different food.
I was going to try some at the Scottish Games two years ago but they wanted $8 for a small plate of it.
I'm not Scottish but I am very thrifty.

You don't know what you're missing! It doesn't look great but tastes great. I have eaten much more disgusting foods on my travels abroad.

Just give me a couple of fried worms to put into that haggis meal as a side dish and you got yourself a deal ;)

Of course, why not, given that it's seasoned properly? :)

Is all this disgust because the stuffing has offal in it or because it's stuffed into a stomach?

Guys, in less privileged times you didn't waste any part of the animal. Plus, do any of you eat pork sausages? Now they mostly use some plastic, chemically produced compound , but it was, and still is, if you get organic sausages, intestine that forms the casing.

In fact, haggis seems to be sort of the Scottish version of Cima Ripieno, which is a favorite dish of Ligurians, a stereotypically frugal people. In the actual version of Genova, a veal or cow stomach was stuffed with a mixture of a lot of eggs, minced brains, heart, kidney, whatever, plus bits of tough meat, grated parmigiano and peas. It was then sort of poached in vegetable broth (carrot, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, maybe a tomato) Even in Italy people are starting to get squeamish so now some people use minced up tough bits of veal etc.

This is a young chef in a trattoria in Genova making a quasi modern version in that there's no offal in it.

cima_genovese.jpg

At our eastern end of Liguria it's quite different, and, of course, better. :) We mix the sauteed meat (ground veal but my mother also used some minced kidney, heart, liver) with bread that has been soaked in milk, grated cheese (mixed pecorino and parmigiano), garlic, eggs, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg, marjoram, and sometimes peas and then stuff it all into a veal stomach or breast, sew it up, and then roast it in the oven.

It winds up looking like this:
Tasca-di-vitello1.jpg

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :)

Oh, the poet laureate, singer/songwriter of Genova, Fabrizio deAndre loved it and included it in a dialect song he wrote and performed.

Last edited:
Furthermore Dutch "rolpens" - an almost forgotten recipe - and French Andouillettes are quite similar. My wife shivers whenever I grill Andouillettes but I love 'm. Serve with Champagne!

PS: Angela, did my message got through?

Plus, do any of you eat pork sausages? Now they mostly use some plastic, chemically produced compound , but it was, and still is, if you get organic sausages, intestine that forms the casing.

I used to work at a butchers factory - it was for a rather large supermarket chain - and used to clean miles of pig intestines to be filled. Guess what they smell like when you get them from the slaughterhouse? However, cleansed with salted water for days on a row they are clean as a whistle.

It was Bismarck who once commented on the political proces:

Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.

This thread has been viewed 24933 times.

Back