Animals Grey squirrel cull

Tokis-Phoenix

Reaction score
"Bounties should be paid for the shooting or trapping of grey squirrels, according to a Conservative MSP";

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/5069276.stm

Full report:

Murdo Fraser said consideration must be given to such measures to preserve numbers of native red squirrels.

The party's deputy leader said that only suitably qualified people with shotgun licences, like gamekeepers, would get the money.

However, an animal protection group said the proposal would lead to "carnage in the countryside".

Scotland is reported to be home to more than 75% of the UK's red squirrel population, however, they have been under threat of being displaced by the non-native grey.

Grey squirrels compete for food with the red squirrels and can carry a virus which kills them.

Scottish Natural Heritage has announced plans for a cull in areas including the north east, Argyll, Loch Lomond and the Highlands, where reds are most under threat and grey squirrels are being shot on sight by patrols in the Borders.
Bounties have previously been paid in the UK but the system was abandoned in the 1950s because of abuse.

Mid Scotland and Fife MSP Mr Fraser said the smaller population could be wiped out unless action is taken and a bounty of a few pounds per grey should be on offer.

He has lodged a motion in the Scottish Parliament seeking the backing of fellow MSPs for his proposal.

He said: "Scotland's red squirrel is now under serious threat from a foreign invader.

"Areas such as Perthshire and Angus are now the frontline for the red squirrel and we are seeing their numbers under threat in these areas."

"This is an absolutely ridiculous idea and it would lead to carnage in the countryside"
Ross Minett
Advocates for Animals

On the proposal for bounties, he said: "It may seem like a drastic step, but the seriousness of the current situation cannot be underestimated.

"Paying bounties to gamekeepers and others to eradicate the grey squirrel in areas where they threaten red squirrels would be a positive and imaginative step to try and tackle this serious issue."

Ross Minett, director of Advocates for Animals, said: "This is an absolutely ridiculous idea and it would lead to carnage in the countryside with every man and his dog out to raise cash from the killing of squirrels.

"Mr Fraser obviously hasn't studied ecology because if he had he would realise that the grey squirrel is here to stay and killing them in vast numbers is not going to remove them.

"It would be a complete waste of time and taxpayers' money."

Well on the one hand i'm thinking "about time!", but on the other hand i'm thinking that although a cull is needed to help halt the rapid progression of grey squirrels across the landscape, we still have to deal with the virus's the grey's spread and the fact that a cull will probably not completely eradicate grey squirrels, even if it will help control and lower their population numbers.

I would not say though that killing them in vast numbers would "be a complete waste of time and taxpayers' money" considering that there are any other real options that are practable or have been thought of at the moment.
On the other hand, such a cull as proposed in the article would probably be unorganised- on the other hand it would help give more of an idea of teh extent of grey squirrel populations in various areas. IMO, if there is to be a cull it should be done as efficiently and organised as posible.
For more info on the red squirrel crisis;

Red squirrel extinction warning;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4747984.stm

Squirrel pox threat;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/4247966.stm

Grey squirrels were introduced from america to britain in the 1800's.
Grey squirrels are more agressive, more hardy/tough and more efficient are digesting acorns and large seeds that the native red squirrels eat.
Grey squirrels also live longer than red squirrels, grow larger than reds, can breed more times per year, and tend to displace reds where ever they encounter them in their habitats.

Grey squirrel file;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/190.shtml

Red squirrel file;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/191.shtml

I agree with it. To sit passively by will ultimately lead to the extinction of the Red Squirrel.

Humans gone done it again!

There are so many example of the ecological disasters which ensue when non-Native species are introduced. The rabbits in Australia come to mind...

In N America there are many non-Native plants progressively reducing the habitat of native species. The worst of these is probably the kudzu.

As for the British squirrels... China once had a campaign to eliminate the snails which carry schistosomiasis, which live in irrigation canals. They decreed that everyone would go out and kill snails on a certain day. This worked at least in the short term, I don't know if it was a permanent solution or not.

But it occurs to me that if they had a "trap the greys" day, the trapped squirrels could be sorted, the reds caught released, and the greys humanely killed for fur (to avoid the entire country out in the woods shooting each other)... some wealth would be produced, and the grey population would be drastically curtailed. Repeating this in a month, and again in 2 months, would probably all but eliminate them.

It's worth a try...

Hands off the adorable gray squirrels, you despicable barbarians in Great Britain ! The real reason you barbarians kill those beautiful-in-and-out animals is your animosity toward the American people. You barbarians consider those valuable animals the AMERICAN INVASION!

The argument of gray squirrels being nonnative to the Great Britain is TOTALLY IRRELATIVE – gray squirrels have existed in that country for around 130 years!!! Considering that fact, the squirrel murdering subhumans who use that nonnativeness argument to justify killing of grays are deranged or evil; no other way!

Gray squirrels DO NOT DESTROY the woodland habitat. Barking trees does not cause destruction of the woodlands. On the other hand, debarked trees create a favorable environment for fungi and invertebrates to grow that attract birds feeding on them.

The main reason that the red squirrels moved north up to Scotland is because that is where the coniferous trees grow. Blame the deforestation and planting of deciduous trees in England by your fellow conservationists.

What barbaric, senseless idea is it anyway to value trees more than the most adorable animals on earth!

There has not been a huge number of red squirrels that died from the parapox virus (I grief for each one of them). There is evidence that they are starting to develop immunity to it. That’s exactly how it used to be with the gray squirrels (some of them are still dying from that virus). The parapox virus is NOT a threat to survival of the red squirrel as a species.

To all people with their humanity intact it should be totally obvious that squirrels were not created for the purpose of hunting. In terms of human depravity eating squirrels is just one step below cannibalism.

The gray squirrels DO NOT eradicate the super-adorable red squirrels. Red squirrels simply run away from the grays, as the latter are stronger genetically. The way to preserve the reds is to focus ON THEM, on building the favorable to them habitat, not to focus murderously on the grays. The number one killer of the squirrels are the bandit-drivers on the streets and roads. Conduct an educational campaign for them to stop killing squirrels. Put up “STOP for squirrels” road signs. Exterminate natural killers of squirrels – raccoons, hawks, falcons, eagles, etc. Protect and feed everywhere the adorable squirrels; ALL OF THEM!

You are lucky squirrel-murdering bandits I don’t live in your decadent country. If I caught you killing squirrels, it would be YOU who would be hunted by me, after being given one warning to stop.

You British people have shown lastly your national character: You are filled with hostility and resentment against the American cultural invasion insomuch that you have been willing to take them on the poor, innocent, beautiful, adorable animal – the gray squirrel!

Hands off the adorable gray squirrels, you despicable barbarians in Great Britain ! The real reason you barbarians kill those beautiful-in-and-out animals is your animosity toward the American people. You barbarians consider those valuable animals the AMERICAN INVASION!

The argument of gray squirrels being nonnative to the Great Britain is TOTALLY IRRELATIVE – gray squirrels have existed in that country for around 130 years!!! Considering that fact, the squirrel murdering subhumans who use that nonnativeness argument to justify killing of grays are deranged or evil; no other way!

Gray squirrels DO NOT DESTROY the woodland habitat. Barking trees does not cause destruction of the woodlands. On the other hand, debarked trees create a favorable environment for fungi and invertebrates to grow that attract birds feeding on them.

The main reason that the red squirrels moved north up to Scotland is because that is where the coniferous trees grow. Blame the deforestation and planting of deciduous trees in England by your fellow conservationists.

What barbaric, senseless idea is it anyway to value trees more than the most adorable animals on earth!

There has not been a huge number of red squirrels that died from the parapox virus (I grief for each one of them). There is evidence that they are starting to develop immunity to it. That’s exactly how it used to be with the gray squirrels (some of them are still dying from that virus). The parapox virus is NOT a threat to survival of the red squirrel as a species.

To all people with their humanity intact it should be totally obvious that squirrels were not created for the purpose of hunting. In terms of human depravity eating squirrels is just one step below cannibalism.

The gray squirrels DO NOT eradicate the super-adorable red squirrels. Red squirrels simply run away from the grays, as the latter are stronger genetically. The way to preserve the reds is to focus ON THEM, on building the favorable to them habitat, not to focus murderously on the grays. The number one killer of the squirrels are the bandit-drivers on the streets and roads. Conduct an educational campaign for them to stop killing squirrels. Put up “STOP for squirrels” road signs. Exterminate natural killers of squirrels – raccoons, hawks, falcons, eagles, etc. Protect and feed everywhere the adorable squirrels; ALL OF THEM!

You are lucky squirrel-murdering bandits I don’t live in your decadent country. If I caught you killing squirrels, it would be YOU who would be hunted by me, after being given one warning to stop.

You British people have shown lastly your national character: You are filled with hostility and resentment against the American cultural invasion insomuch that you have been willing to take them on the poor, innocent, beautiful, adorable animal – the gray squirrel!

You are either poor at sarcasm, or need a long holiday.

Why the ranting? Odd... :confused:

Excuse me! Why the ranting?

Those depraved, deranged, evil barbarians in Great Britain have murdered HUNDREDS OF THOUSAND adorable, beautiful, innocent, valuable gray squirrels!!!

The grey squirrels have created ecological problems in England. What do you suggest the Brits do?

Those depraved, deranged, evil barbarians in Great Britain have murdered HUNDREDS OF THOUSAND adorable, beautiful, innocent, valuable gray squirrels!!!

That's an interesting response that comes across as highly judgemental and disparaging of an entire nation, couched in highly emotive language. For my part, you no longer warrant the oxygen to your irrational fire that further responses would provide.

That's an interesting response that comes across as highly judgemental and disparaging of an entire nation, couched in highly emotive language. For my part, you no longer warrant the oxygen to your irrational fire that further responses would provide.
Good decision... (y)

Do you value grey squirrels over the native European red squirrel ?

The grey squirrels have created ecological problems in England. What do you suggest the Brits do?

Cambria Red, the gray squirrels DID NOT create any ecological problem in Great Britain! It’s a lie perpetrated by the gray squirrel-hating, evil lunatics to justify their mass-murder of those squirrels. They are the descendants of the RED SQUIRREL (British) haters from the first two decades of the last century, who were calling those RED SQUIRRELS tree rats and pests, and who were murdering those RED SQUIRRELS by the thousands!

To help the red squirrels multiply:

1.Implement mass-planting of coniferous, walnut, pecan, and hazel trees
2.Build squirrel feeding stations in all coniferous and mixed woodlands
3.Change traffic laws – make squirrel-right-of-way the rule
4.Educate drivers of automobiles about behavior of squirrels on streets and roads (in face of danger, instead of speeding away squirrels frequently stop in place paralyzed by fear)
5.Put up “Drivers STOP for squirrels!” road signs in all park and woodland areas
6.Increase spending on squirrel pox research

Chris, it is without precedent that for all practical consideration the WHOLE (British) nation has turned its sick, pathological hatred and blood-thirst against an animal species. You and your fellow squirrel mass-murderers acting as if nothing happened only confirm my accusations of your being depraved and evil.

Maciamo, of course I do not value the European squirrels less than the American squirrels. The point is that THERE IS NO NEED WHATSOEVER to murder the grays to save the reds! All that’s needed is GOOD WILL AND RESOURCEFULLNESS!

Incidentally, the correct spelling is “gray”, not “grey”. It denotes the fact that the gray squirrels differ from other squirrel subspecies in more aspects than just the color of their fur.

Chris, it is without precedent that for all practical consideration the WHOLE (British) nation has turned its sick, pathological hatred and blood-thirst against an animal species. You and your fellow squirrel mass-murderers acting as if nothing happened only confirm my accusations of your being depraved and evil.

Have you even been to Britain ? There is scarcely a more nature loving nation than the Brits. That's where environmental and new age movements started. The UK probably produces more documentary about nature per capita than any other country. It's also where people watch them the most.

While the USA is still in a phase of environmental deterioration, with thousands of acres of forest being destroyed each year by loggers and road builders, and gun-happy people shooting birds and other creatures into extinction, Britain is one of the few countries on Earth where a major improvement can be observed over the last 2 or 3 decades. Rivers that were dead owing to industrial pollution are now clean and teaming with life again. Many species of birds and mammals that were endangered 20 years ago have grown back to safe numbers.

Incidentally, the correct spelling is “gray”, not “grey”. It denotes the fact that the gray squirrels differ from other squirrel subspecies in more aspects than just the color of their fur.

Gray is the American spelling. Grey is the British spelling.

With exception of a transfer-stop at the airport in London I have never been in Great Britain.

The British people love the nature? How come they hate that exceptional part of their nature called the gray squirrel?

British achievements in restoring and protecting their environment do not justify whatsoever their monumental, systemic atrocity against the gray squirrels they have been committing.

In contrast to Great Britain, there has never been an incident in the USA, where a whole state, let alone the whole country attempted extermination of a total population of such valuable species as squirrels.

There have been, tragically, cases of local governments killing off hundreds of squirrels; for instance in the city of Spokane, Washington. I sent three emails and made three calls to that city officials calling them despicable bandits and mass-murderers of ground squirrels, and demanding that they dare never again repeat that atrocity. Unfortunately, I learned of that mass-murder after two weeks only; otherwise I would have gone to that city to stop physically those despicable murderers.

The tragic story of the near extinction of the Buffaloes was not an ATTEMPT OF EXTERMINATION OF THE TOTAL POPULATION OF THAT SPECIES. It was a case of barbaric excesses of hunting by the Indians and the European settlers.

It is two aspects of the mass-murder of gray squirrels in Great Britain that hit me especially hard: That the murderers take their animosity against some people (the Americans) on the tiny, innocent squirrels – “it’s the AMERICAN invasion!” The murderers CANNOT HELP but let show that animosity in their murder arguments against the gray squirrels. It is explicit or implicit.

The second aspect is that the mass-murder is GOVERNMENT SPONSORED, including by that royal parasite prince Charles. He dared even try to score some ethicality points by this disgraceful occasion, by having proclaimed that he killed the gray squirrels at his estate HUMANELY!

This thread has been viewed 24714 times.

Back