Politics Should governments publish the list of bad tax payers to shame them into paying ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I heard on Euronews that the Portuguese government had decided to publish the list of the people who owed a considerable amount of tax money to the government. They said that the bad tax-payers had a last chance to pay up and erase their name before the list was released, and avoid the shame of having their name tarnished in public. It did work reasonably well, with about 20 million euros collected in a few days. It seems like a fairly good idea to me. I haven't heard of other countries doing it, but they should in my opinion.

That would be marvellous! Especially in my home country (Italy).
Usually employees have no choice but to pay taxes because they are already taken from the salary.
However all many many people find always the way to trick the Taxman.

Maciamo have you got the source of the news so I can use it…

Shame people into paying taxes? Are there any issues of privacy that may be involved here? But then, if it's effective then I say go for it.

Ma Cherie said:
Shame people into paying taxes? Are there any issues of privacy that may be involved here? But then, if it's effective then I say go for it.

The government has every right when it comes to taxes. Usually governments have no pity about taxes, so why should privacy be a problem ?

This thread has been viewed 6738 times.

Back