Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The silly season has arrived !

BBC News : Euro confetti sparks French row

BBC said:
A lavish wedding in a French town which saw the happy couple showered in confetti made from shredded euro notes has caused outrage.

Residents of the southern town of Sete were up in arms after the bride and groom were covered in confetti made from 5, 10, 20 and 50 euro notes.

They also lodged a formal complaint, as destruction of banknotes is a crime.

But according to reports, the money was worthless - the euros were defective and bound for the incinerator.

However the outrage was more caused by envy, one of the most common and infamous French "sin"* :

BBC said:
"It's revolting that people have to see their minimum wage turned into confetti lying on the street," one member of the collective said.

The scandal-causing confetti was part of a lavish ceremony attended by more than 200 guests, which included a fireworks display costing more than 40,000 euros ($51,000), according to French newspaper Liberation.

* I am saying that because people with money tend to be more respected than jealously "envied" in English-speaking countries (esp. USA) and East Asia (e.g. Japan, China...).

But it was their money. :souka:

If that was "real" money they'd be put in jail :) Destruction of money is by my knowledge still illegal.

As it was not valid, I think it's quite a good 'gimmick'. :giggle:
But if the money was valid, I would think 'what a waste'! :eek:

Hmm, I think you mean that ancient British pound ;) I wonder when England will switch to Euro's :?

Ma Cherie said:
But it was their money. :souka:
If you mean by that that they have the right to waste their money the way thy want because it is theirs, quite a lot of French people would disagree.

I am sometimes amazed at the idealised social image of French or Belgian people; it may be some nostalgy from the French revolutionary values of equality and brotherhood, but some people really think that richer people should help the poorer ones within French/Belgian society. That is probably why both countries have high taxes and a trong social security system to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor. This system is increasingly being criticised and losing popularity, but older generations still very much resent excessive wealth and the display of it.

It is the opposite of the US or Japan, where display of wealth results in respect and even awe, not criticism and ill-hearted jealousy, from poorer people. In the US, get an expensive fancy sports car and people will come to talk to you and want to be your friends. Do the same in France and it will end up being scratched by your envious neighbours during the night. In other words, in the US and Japan money brings you friends, while in France it brings you enemies.

I think I understand what you mean. Is being wealthy in French society a bad thing?

And about England switching to the Euro, how many British people are actually in favor of switching to the Euro? As of now, it doesn't seem like England has any plans of switching. :?

Ma Cherie said:
I think I understand what you mean. Is being wealthy in French society a bad thing?

Not as long as you stick with people from the same socio-economic level (a bit like in the UK, but for different reasons). Wealth itself isn't regarded as bad, as long as you use it in a way that is deemed honourable or useful for society. French people wouldn't criticise Bill Gates for giving millions of euros to charity, but they would if he bought 10 ferraris... In this case, destroying money for fun was seen as an unacceptable use of money from people who lack it.

Ma Cherie said:
And about England switching to the Euro, how many British people are actually in favor of switching to the Euro? As of now, it doesn't seem like England has any plans of switching. :?
I don't mind, I think the Euro would be good, to make things easier. :p
Although, the drawback is, some stores use it as a chance to hike up prices and try and hide the raises behind a change of currency... :eek:kashii:

Ma Cherie said:
For switching to the Euro? Not very many. The government has always said it will hold a referendum on the currency change, but they know it will be a no vote. Plus Blair is for it, but the chancellor of the exchequer, Gordon Brown, is against it. And it is on his terms to say whether we are ready to join or not.
Why not? Probably for several reasons. The main one being it is European and the British have always regarded themselves as slightly seperate from them. Might have something about being an island.
Others are:
The pound is currently very strong in economic terms. There is an idea that if we loose the pound that the Euro is not as strong as the pound, plus with Easten European countries joining and eventually wanting to switch their currencies to the euro, it will weaken it further.
We have already changed our currency once, from pounds, shillings and pence to the decimal pounds and pence in 1971. People remembered how prices went up then and do not wish the same to happen again. Which it has in other countries that have changed to the Euro.
There is also the fact in some european countries that have changed it has not been as popular as the politcians make out. There have been towns in Northern Italy that have had days when they used lira instead of Euros. The Germans weren't overly happy about losing the strong Mark to a weaker Euro. The French had three referendums until the government finally had the result they wanted. Believe me if the French had said no a third time they would still be having referendums until the government had the result it wanted, plus some slightly suspect dealing to make the French economy ready to change.

Maciamo said:
If you mean by that that they have the right to waste their money the way thy want because it is theirs, quite a lot of French people would disagree.
I am sometimes amazed at the idealised social image of French or Belgian people; it may be some nostalgy from the French revolutionary values of equality and brotherhood, but some people really think that richer people should help the poorer ones within French/Belgian society. That is probably why both countries have high taxes and a trong social security system to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor. This system is increasingly being criticised and losing popularity, but older generations still very much resent excessive wealth and the display of it.
It is the opposite of the US or Japan, where display of wealth results in respect and even awe, not criticism and ill-hearted jealousy, from poorer people. In the US, get an expensive fancy sports car and people will come to talk to you and want to be your friends. Do the same in France and it will end up being scratched by your envious neighbours during the night. In other words, in the US and Japan money brings you friends, while in France it brings you enemies.

So true, so true...you need to hide your wealth here or change your environment and socialize with higher class people...

In Australia it all depends on how you present yourself on the outside if you are well dressed using expensive branded items people come to you to be your friends?csome even follow you around?cI mean the Asians?cfor Aussies they just prefer slim people?c

Yes, but those "friends" all really just want money, they are not real friends.

This thread has been viewed 14524 times.

Back