US troops gradually withdrawing from Germany

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Expatica : US Army to close four more facilities in Germany

The US Defence Department announced Wednesday that it will close four small US Army facilities in Germany because they are no longer needed, another step toward closing a chapter of world history.

Since the end of the Cold War, the US military has gradually reduced its presence in Western Europe, especially in Germany, where the bulk of US forces were stationed to counter the Soviet threat.

The US is planning to close 25 of their 34 military installations in Germany between 2007 and 2012.

Not willingly though,US has been dragging it's feet as it tries to keep a strong military presence in Europe to safeguard American interests and political influences there.

Probably at nagging requests by German ruling establishment.

I am not so sure that the German government wishes US troops to leave as it will hit the economy further (and the German economy is one of the slowest in Europe at the moment).

I agree...germany benefits quite a bit from the presence of US forces there. When there were talks about the bases moving to Poland there were cities fighting with each others as to whom would get a potential approval site for a base. There are small town/cities in germany where the whole local economy relies on US installations

Why don't we look at it this way,don't you think Germans want to free their land from American military occupation and have own military complex ( provides employment ) equivalent to a first class power on world stage unless there is a clause in the surrender declaration signed in 1945 prohibits Germany from re-arm.

ricecake said:
Why don't we look at it this way,don't you think Germans want to free their land from American military occupation and have own military complex ( provides employment ) equivalent to a first class power on world stage unless there is a clause in the surrender declaration signed in 1945 prohibits Germany from re-arm.

I think you information is a bit outdated. Germany now has one of the biggest army in the world (like Japan, but without restrictions to participate in international missions or without limits on land troops). I never hear of any problems with US troops in Germany (unlike in Japan) and US troops are certainly seen and nothing more than a contribution to the local economy.

US troops are also leaving Sardigna, finally they decided to leave, but unlike Germany the local will be re emloyed in new projects to re-convert the area, so not a big deal.

Maciamo said:
I think you information is a bit outdated.Germany now has one of the biggest army in the world

Oh,I see ... thanks for filling me in.

Where does Germany rank in the world military capability,Japan has been the 4th in ranking ( if it still standing ) for many years.

Here is a List of countries by military expenditures for 2005. Germany ranks 6th, close behind Japan and China. This is only for the expenditures, but that does not give us the use of the money, which could be spent more on equipment, facilities or personnel. Nevertheless it appears undeniable that the capabilities of the German army is among the best in the world.

This thread has been viewed 9373 times.

Back