Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Flanders News : Surge in abortion cases

Flanders News said:
In 2005 17,867 women terminated a pregnancy. The figure is 935 up on the year.

One in eight pregnancies is now being terminated. In Brussels the figure is one in five.
Abortion was legalised in Belgium in 1990. Terminations can be carried out until the twelfth week of a pregnancy.

Most terminations are performed on women aged 20 to 24.

Experts are worried about the increase, but Ann Verougstraete a doctor at the VUB University Hospital in Brussels says that the Belgian figures are the lowest in the world.

These figures are surprisingly high, especially if they are (among ?) the lowest in the world. (really ? :? ) I suppose that some women abort several times, thus bringing up the average.

1/3 of the population of Brussels is made of foreigners (about half if naturalised foreigners or people with foreign ancestry in the last 3 generations are taken into account), which could explain the discrepancy with the rest of the country.

Whoa, that is high for a European country.:? If foreigners are one 1/3 of the population, there's a chance that education about preventing unintended pregnacies aren't reaching these areas where foreigners are living.

I wasn't able to find reliable international statistics on abortion, but it seems that Russia is the champion for the total number of abortions among Western countries.

However we can calculate abortion ratio to pregancies based on the number of births and abortions in a given country.

England & Wales have recorded 185,400 abortions in 2004 (17.8 per 1,000 resident women aged 15-44). There were 639,721 births in England & Wales in 2004, so the total of pregnancies was 825,121. Abortions thus make up 22.5% of all pregnancies - more than Belgium (12.5%) and more than Brussels (20%) !

Sources : National Statistics Online

I found that the USA has had about 1.5 million abortions per year over the last 10 years. According to the NCHS, 4,112,052 births were registered in the United States in 2004. This gives us an approximate rate of 25% of abortions per pregnancies, or 1 abortion per 4 pregnacies. Figures for Belgium are indeed lower than at least the US and UK.

Last edited:
Here's a source from the Guttmacher Institue, just in case you haven't checked this out. It has lots of information on abortion in the US and other parts of the world. Some very surprising statistics. :shock:

http://www.guttmacher.org/sections/abortion.php

It seems to confirm my quick calculation. I just forgot to count the miscarriages :

Guttmatcher said:
In 2000, 6.3 million of the 62 million American women of reproductive age (15-44) became pregnant. 64% of these pregnancies resulted in live births and 21% in abortions; the remaining 15% ended in miscarriage.

This thread has been viewed 10436 times.

Back