Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
BBC News : French children 'need wine class'

BBC said:
French schools should teach children the virtues of drinking wine, a report by France's governing party says.

The report says children who learn how wines are "cultivated and transformed to acquire their taste" are more likely to stay healthy and respect nature.
The wine industry employs some 75,000 people in France.

Per capita consumption in the country has fallen to 55 litres per year from 100 litres per year in 1970, the report says.

"To hold a forceful position in the world, French wine must first assume a strong position at home," the report says.

It calls for young people to be taught the history and qualities of various types of French wine.

"Learning about healthy living starts from childhood and primary school," the report says, citing studies that have indicated drinking red wine can stave off diseases.

The report also says children should be warned off the dangers of drinking too much alcohol.

Do you think that teaching about wine (which most probably involves wine tasting) to primary school children is a good idea ? I personally took a one-year wine-tasting class when I was 11 years old, but that was outside school in evening classes for adults. Yet my primary school teacher, who also joined the class, encouraged me to do so, despite that I was the only child in the class. I learnt about varietals, vinification, the regions of French wines, the appellations, the good and bad years by region, as well as how to taste wine, how to properly open a bottle, and which glasses to use for which type of wine.

I think it may be interesting to have such classes at school, but I feel like the French government is just trying to boost its national wine industry.

I think it may be interesting to have such classes at school, but I feel like the French government is just trying to boost its national wine industry.
Most likely. French wines are no longer regarded as the best in the world. I remember hearing a news report about the top ten wines and the first 6 were from New Zealand, Australia and California.
There was also a recent proframme on radio 4 about professional wine tasters and experts. around 70% are surprsingly British. When asked about this serveral top wine experts put it down to the fact that the UK has a very wide selection of wines because we are not a huge wine producing country, but a big importer. As with France, Germany, Italy, etc, have a tendency to stick to local wines rather than open their markets to more imports. Thus people in the UK are bought up with a much wider range than others.

Most likely. French wines are no longer regarded as the best in the world. I remember hearing a news report about the top ten wines and the first 6 were from New Zealand, Australia and California.

I have never seen or tried wine from New Zealand. However the best quality/price ratio I have found in all my purchases were systematically Australian wines. France probably still has the best wines on the planet, but they are all too expensive for regular consumption (except if you are very rich).

Hmm, I don't think it's a bad idea to teach it, but I think primary school is too young, because there are many other subjects that I think should take priority at that age, and these kinds of "extra" learnings should be for later on, when they are in secondary school. :romance:

If it's going to be taught, it should be in an informative and balanced way, though, not as a kind of "propaganda for the wines of France".

I have never seen or tried wine from New Zealand. However the best quality/price ratio I have found in all my purchases were systematically Australian wines. France probably still has the best wines on the planet, but they are all too expensive for regular consumption (except if you are very rich).

I personally think the best value for the price of wines are the Brazilian wines, they taste very good and they are very cheap.

There are good French wines that are not costly, but only available in France, apparently the French only export expensive wines.

I never tried New Zealand wines neither but to compare New Zealand beef to Aussie Beef New Zealand beef tastes better as the weather in New Zealand is colder and more suitable to breed cows.

I saw a show on TV where they tested the contestants with French vs. Californian wines, the French wine won as the preferred taste of wine, the contestants thought they picked the Californian wine.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 17144 times.

Back