Happy New Year 2007 !

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
2007 will be a very special year for Europe. The EU is celebrating its 50 years of existence. Today (1st January) Romania and Bulgaria enter the EU, bringing the total number of member states to 27. Today as well Slovenia joins the Euro-zone. Belgian people won't be able to smoke in public places anymore, and will vote for the parliament in June. The French will elect their new president in May, in what is seen as the most important and mediatised presidential election possibly ever.

And the palm of the best New Year Fireworks must without contest go to London this year. The 10 min show was simply breathtaking - never seen anything like that before - and I watched on BBC1, not on location !

Happy New Year everyone !

Happy New Year!

Man, 2006 went by kind of fast. :mad:

Happy New Year folks!

Each year we spend Xmas 24th and 25th, with each other and on the 26th we go visit my husband's family.

The French here eat Foe Grois, venison, smoke salmon for Xmas rather than turkey.

I choose seafood otherwise I would ?gdie?h after all the Xmas meals, French foods are so rich and awww... my poor stomach.

Last year we chose venison then when we got to my in laws its venison again and for new year eve we spent it at my husband?fs god daughter?fs place and they served us venison again!!!!!My poor stomach burned like the whole night!:bawling: :sick:

For New Year this year we went to a Hungarian restaurant, the lady was overly friendly, kept on telling me that I look really good for my age, I have absolutely no wrinkle and that she loves me for it!!!:hey:

LOL, but it's true Caucasian people much look older than us North East Asian for their age.

Like during Xmas my husband's god son showed him his girlfriend's pic, she's 16 years old and I looked younger than her at age 25. And the other 13 nephew?c his 12 year old girl friends looked like when I was 23.:D

Last edited:
The French here eat Foe Grois, venison, smoke salmon for Xmas rather than turkey.
I thought that turkey was eaten in the US for Thanksgiving ?

Here foie gras and venison are also very popular for year-end celebrations.

I thought that turkey was eaten in the US for Thanksgiving ?
Here foie gras and venison are also very popular for year-end celebrations.

I believe they also eat Turkey for Xmas along with sausage, smoked meat, ham, oysters, fish, "meat," wild fowl, bread, eggnog, boar, roast, mince (meat) pie, plum pudding (raisin "hearts," no plums), sugarplums...etc.

I believe they also eat Turkey for Xmas along with sausage, smoked meat, ham, oysters, fish, "meat," wild fowl, bread, eggnog, boar, roast, mince (meat) pie, plum pudding (raisin "hearts," no plums), sugarplums...etc.

Turkey is sometimes eaten for Christmas. But not with that much meat. Wild fowl was eaten a long time ago. :? Sugerplums, haven't eaten those for Christmas in awhile. :bluush:

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Maciamo said:
And the palm of the best New Year Fireworks must without contest go to London this year. The 10 min show was simply breathtaking - never seen anything like that before - and I watched on BBC1, not on location !
I watched that one on CNN.com, they also showed the ones in Romania and Bulgaria; very nice ones with the Eastern European music in the background. The crowd in Bulgaria seemed rather calm compared to the Americans I saw in Times Square, where some people were as crazy as getting themselves arrested.:D
Maciamo said:
Belgian people won't be able to smoke in public places anymore, and will vote for the parliament in June.
Just out of curiosity; here in America, you have to be a citizen to be able to vote. What about in Belgium, did your wife receive the right to vote automaticaly after she moved, or does she have to become a citizen?

Just out of curiosity; here in America, you have to be a citizen to be able to vote. What about in Belgium, did your wife receive the right to vote automaticaly after she moved, or does she have to become a citizen?

I don't see the relation with this thread, but foreigners in Belgium can vote at local elections if they have stayed in the country for 5 years. EU citizens can vote at local and EU elections without minimum period of stay. They vote in the EU municipality where they are registered.

Oops sorry, I didn't mean to drift. Thanks for your insight. Europe seems much more foreigner friendly in terms of being involved in politics.
I can't even vote at my local elections until I become a US citizen.

Happy new year everyone! :happy: :yeahh: :p
I'm happy and optimistic about 2007 for me personally and I wish everyone to feel like that! :)
2006 was a really difficult and stressful year for me :( but also I feel like I've learned a lot and travelled a long way, so it was also really great. :cool:

I saw some of the London fireworks on TV, too, and they looked really cool. I'd love to go and see them on location one year!

For new year's eve I was at a party at a friend's house, it was pretty cool :) and during the daytime I had a friend round and we... had fun :blush: :p

EDIT: In England, it's very common to have turkey at Christmas. But as turkey are rather large, my small family never had it, we always had chicken instead. :liplick:

This thread has been viewed 13083 times.

Back