Classical music Most romantic works by Mozart ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Mozart is officially classified as a "classical" composer for his style, as opposed to the eralier "baroque" and later "romantic" composers. But the form of writing doesn't prevent some romantic feeling (usually love mixed with a bit melancholy in Mozart) to transcend from time to time. I found such feelings to be quite present in the 31st Symphony "Paris", as well as in some piano concerti, for instance.

Have you also noticed it, or is it just because I associate my own emotions at the time I listened most to those pieces of music ?

You are totally right. And by the way - this point is well known to musicologists, who now agree on the proto-romanticism of many pages by Mozart. Of course, we are talking of romanticism in its proper meaning: as a cultural, literary and artistic movement that placed a new interest on spontaneous emotions - nothing to do with sugary molasses of any sort.
One magnificent example for all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvy7rri0taQ
Tremendous feelings raging: anger, jealousy, pity, tenderness, dignity, bleeding love, and much more sings Elvira towards her traitor Giovanni. Notice all the technical nuances Mozart employs to convey this tempest storming in the woman's soul (e. g. the deceptive cadence at 5:22-5:23 that allows insistence on the emotional acme of the piece, with heart-shaking intensity, exactly where Elvira is saying that she still feels compassionate for the doomed destiny of her lover, although he betrayed her).
This is wild romanticism straightaway!

This thread has been viewed 10349 times.

Back