Question Do you care about your partner's job ?

Does someone's occupation influence your choice for a (serious) relationship ?

• I am a man : Yes, it does influence me

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I am a man : No, I don't care

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I am a woman : Yes, it does influence me

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I am a woman : No, I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I often hear that one of the first things women look for in a man is his job (and salary). In fact, studies have proven that women are much more likely to be attracted by men who are doctors, lawyers or executives than men with more modest jobs (just observe women's behaviours on dating websites). I also hear that men don't care much (or at all) about what a woman does in life.

It is true that traditionally, after getting married, women have children and become housekeepers. But we have come a long way since that age in most of the Western world. Nowadays most women work, and more and more of them want high-profile career jobs.

Personally, I do attach some importance to what a woman I choose to live with (or even to date seriously) does in life. Not that the salary is important, but I see a person's job as an extension of their personality. It is undeniably a major component of one's lifestyle. Take two (identical) twin sisters with the same intelligence, educational level and even salary, it would certainly influence my choice if one worked in a slaughterhouse and the other was a journalist. I cannot conceive that I am an exception among men when I say that. Of course someone's occupation matters ! In a partner, it matters as much as hobbies, tastes, values or goals in life.

I want to hear from other male and female members what are their opinion about this.

Maciamo said:
I see a person's job as an extension of their personality.... Of course someone's occupation matters !

I agree with the above, in the sense that a person's job says something about their character/personality (as well as their aptitudes, strengths, likes, and many other things about them).

I would say that someone's occupation is an aspect of their character which I would take an interest in, in the same way as I'd be interested in what books they like or what sports they play, but regarding a choice of partner, salary or 'prestige' of their job is absolutely not a factor as far as I am concerned.

I'm with you Kinsao, and I am more interested in why a person does what he/she does than what the job brings to them. I think most people who have jobs that require a certain degree of commitment do care and have a passion in what they do, but if I see someone with a high profile job do what they do only because of salary and recognition, that's kind of a turn-off.

I completely agree with your stated point "person's job is an extension of their personality".

I often hear that one of the first things women look for in a man is his job (and salary). In fact, studies have proven that women are much more likely to be attracted by men who are doctors, lawyers or executives than men with more modest jobs (just observe women's behaviours on dating websites). I also hear that men don't care much (or at all) about what a woman does in life.

It is true that traditionally, after getting married, women have children and become housekeepers. But we have come a long way since that age in most of the Western world. Nowadays most women work, and more and more of them want high-profile career jobs.

Personally, I do attach some importance to what a woman I choose to live with (or even to date seriously) does in life. Not that the salary is important, but I see a person's job as an extension of their personality. It is undeniably a major component of one's lifestyle. Take two (identical) twin sisters with the same intelligence, educational level and even salary, it would certainly influence my choice if one worked in a slaughterhouse and the other was a journalist. I cannot conceive that I am an exception among men when I say that. Of course someone's occupation matters ! In a partner, it matters as much as hobbies, tastes, values or goals in life.

I want to hear from other male and female members what are their opinion about this.

So, just out of curiosity, what job does your wife do in Belgium, and what job did she do back in Japan?

It's true partners profession and salary matters a lot but love and relations last long if partners share a strong bond of understanding, care, friendship and trust. Few days back I read this post based on relationships that tell us why it is so important for the partners to be like-minded and how we can find our perfect match.

It's true partners profession and salary matters a lot but love and relations last long if partners share a strong bond of understanding, care, friendship and trust. Few days back I read this post based on relationships that tell us why it is so important for the partners to be like-minded and how we can find our perfect match.
There is no perfect match unless you can marry your twin. Find a person that you really like, with similar goals, and do everything to make it work. I put the strongest emphasis on "Make it Work", the will.

Someone's occupation would matter to me not because of the "status" of his job or how much money he made, but because certain personalities are better suited to certain careers, and I'm only attracted to men with certain personalities, and, I will admit, a certain "look". For a long term relationship, intelligence, shared goals, and a certain kind of character or moral fiber are even more important factors.

I do agree a lot of women are rather mercenary in the way they decide who is "marriage material", but it's not universal. That wasn't a consideration for me, but then I married so young, barely out of university, that none of my peers had any money; aspirations perhaps, but not actually any money. :) Actually, I'm glad of it; I think working together for your goals is a great bond. I frankly don't understand how men can not only accept that some women are after them for their money, but actually and knowingly use their money or position to get certain women. I wouldn't want love that I had to buy, or trust that she or he would be in it for the long haul.

I don't mind if my partner takes on any profession, as long as she is happy and no sign of taking advantage of me than I'm happy. :)

People most the time choose partners from School and Workplace so job is an important role in terms of relationships. I think morality and personality plays a good part apart from salary. A wall street broker most likely will establish financial security but his/her risk taking, stressful life would easily ruin a relationship.

A person with x personal traits will choose x most the time.

Education also plays a role as someone with a lower wage job but high educational background may be more successful in the opposite gender (especially women) than someone with higher salary but lack of education and it usually also affect mannerism.

It would not matter to me in terms of what it is and what the income is, but how driven my partner is. I cannot stand people who hate what they do and don't know how to escape the rut. I prefer someone who loves what she does, wakes up excited with energy and participation and talks about ideas rather than budgeting, problems with the boss and other demotivating nonsense.

This thread has been viewed 11985 times.

Back