Catholic church vows to excommunicate abortion supporters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Portugal is holding a referendum this Sunday on whether to legalise abortion or not. Portugal is one of the few European country, along with Ireland, Poland and Malta (all staunchly Catholic) where abortion is still illegal, except in case of rape and danger to mothers life. A majority of Portuguese people are expected to vote in favour of abortion.

However, a representative of Catholic Church in Portugal has annouced that all the people who voted for the legalisation would be excommunicated. This means that Portugal, where 97% of the population consider themselves Roman Catholic, could soon become a country where Catholics are a minority group, along with Muslims.

Sources : France 24 : Portugal to vote on Abortion

The Catholic church still can excommunicate people?

Well there wasn't enough people to vote on that abortion law.

The Catholic church still can excommunicate people?

Yes, otherwise what would be their utility ? :D

Well there wasn't enough people to vote on that abortion law.

But the law will be passed anyway. It will just need to be ratified by the parliament.

Here in my state, one lawmaker is trying to make it so that any one who goes through with abortion (it being illegal here as a lot of you know, I'm sure) will either serve a life sentence or the death penalty. Pretty tough. Without expressing any of my views, I guess it makes sense, because a lot of people compare it to murdering a grown adult.

Of course there are few exceptions to abortion: Rape, incest, Danger to the mother.

I too thought that the Catholic Church stopped excommunicating members? Maybe just under certain circumstances?

Restrictive laws or making it illegal has never stopped women from getting illegal abortions. But making it illegal only makes it more dangerous. Sadly, alot of anti-abortion people want abortion to be outlawed but don't want to push for policies (i.e. equal access to family planning services, contraception, sex education, etc. ) that will prevent women from having to choose to terminate their pregnancies.

I hope some government officials in Portugal think about this.

Yeah, the bill will punish anyone involved in the abortion. That being the Mother, Doctor, nurses etc. They are trying to scare people from going through with the illegal abortions. They want to get rid of Roe v. Wade and add on more penalties for aborting illegally.

Sorry for that redundant paragraph above. I just thought that you guys would be interested to hear about that.

Here in my state, one lawmaker is trying to make it so that any one who goes through with abortion (it being illegal here as a lot of you know, I'm sure) will either serve a life sentence or the death penalty.
To know that abortion is illegal in your state, we would first need to know which state it is, as, after all, over half of US States allow abortion (since 1973 I believe) and the USA indeed have one of the highest abortion rate among rich countries.

I am ardently pro-abortion for several reasons :

1) I believe in individual freedom (you do what you want with your life and your body)
2) A foetus does not have a brain until 3 months and thus cannot feel or be conscious (I don't believe in the religious concept of "immortal soul" anyway)
3) Making abortion illegal only incite people to do it illegally, which is more dangerous
4) I strongly believe that abortion reduces the number of potential criminals

You're correct Maciamo, 1973 was the year abortion became legal in the US. But the mentality of anti-abortion people is that "Well women who get abortions are just irresponsible sluts who are taking the easy way out." Oh I'm going to look for some pro-life propaganda. :D

Why doesn't the Catholic church just go the extra mile and excommunicate people who are in favor if birth control?

To know that abortion is illegal in your state, we would first need to know which state it is, as, after all, over half of US States allow abortion (since 1973 I believe) and the USA indeed have one of the highest abortion rate among rich countries.

Yeah, I forgot that I took off my location. So I thought it was displayed.

I am ardently pro-abortion for several reasons :
1) I believe in individual freedom (you do what you want with your life and your body)
2) A foetus does not have a brain until 3 months and thus cannot feel or be conscious (I don't believe in the religious concept of "immortal soul" anyway)
3) Making abortion illegal only incite people to do it illegally, which is more dangerous
4) I strongly believe that abortion reduces the number of potential criminals

You certainly have good reasons.

I think it should only be done within the first tri-mester and in cases of rape, incest and/or danger to the mother no matter which tri-mester it's in.

Ma Cherie brought up a good point about the policies that many anti-abortionist won't push for.

Yeah, I have that Freakonomics book. I recommend it for everyone to read.

This thread has been viewed 16193 times.

Back