Vikings had rare mtDNA haplogroups

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
DNA analysis have been made on skeletons from Viking tombs. The Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups found were the same as those found nowadays in Europe, but with a much higher percentage of the now very rare haplogroups I and X.

Haplogroups I and X are each found in only 1% of the modern European population. Haplogroup I has been found in over 10% of the bodies in tested from Viking cemeteries. Other studies also found mtDNA haplogroup X in Anglo-Saxon skeletons, suggesting a possible Germanic origin.

Mitochondrial DNA regulates the body's energy production, as well as muscle power and endurance, among others.

Plos One : Evidence of Authentic DNA from Danish Viking Age Skeletons Untouched by Humans for 1,000 Years

Y-DNA

The Y-chromosome side is more consistent with the present incidence. Ancient Norse appeared to belong mostly to Y-DNA haplogroups I, R1a and R1b (S21+). There are nevertheless great disparities between the regions of Scandinavia. Denmark, along with Friesland, northern Germany and the Netherlands, have the highest incidence of hg R1b. Over 40% of Swedes belong to hg I1a, and another 10% to I1c. In Norway, the three haplogroups have about the same share, but with stronger R1b concentration in the South-West and R1a in the North.

It appears that Scandinavia already shared this variety of haplogroups 2000 years ago. The only thing that has changed over time is the increased blending between the original ethnic groups that converged in northern Europe.

Science Daily : New Research Refutes Myth Of Pure Scandinavian Race

Dr David Faux suggested the existence of a genetic connection between Scandinavians and Central Asians (PDF). He argues that the presence of haplogroup Q in Scandinavia might be due to the migration of a Hunnic tribe to Scandinavia during the Great Migrations of the 4th and 5th centuries. The Huns were allied to the Goths, whose homeland was Sweden.

Dr Faux also hypothetizes a Central Asian origin of haplogroup R1a, found nowadays in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia and South Asia. This haplogroup might have been associated with the ancient Scythians, among others.

I believe if you are as knowledgeable about the case as you claim.. you already then know that the MTdna Hg's are drawn from heavily damaged DNA in this case..

there are repeated examples of researchers publishing spectacular claims about the population genetics their results 'discovered' right before they were up for a grant consideration, funding review..???

We have had the aimsbury archer, africans, roma gypsies, etc.. all these were published as legitimate and then later we find the DNA was heavily damaged, and the results are 'interpreted' from what could salvaged..

it would be interesting if true, but making spectacular claims and then alter ...''well this COULD BE the results, we cant say for sure, the dna was too degraded''... no if you ken what you were talking about you would not be so quick to jump at these claims unless they can be confirmed in a double-blind test. These are results that no one can disprove are possible,so they make them and the news-story omits the part about how heavily degraded the sample was..

this is now one time too many for this same nonsense

very, very interesting... so the mtDNA of vikings is shared with the israeli druze... it makes sense when contextualized with the leading theory that the I yDNA haplogroups(which i belong to) were the first to leave the middle east, and followed the melting ice sheats north to scandinavia... whereas the other modern day europeans (the R haplogroups) first went to what is now the russian steppes for several millennium before then migrating west and populating most of continental europe...

Viking disease

Your infomation provided on the vikings, might this include why some in Europe and the UK have inherited the hand problem called the Viking disease.

Frederic von Ebert

Your infomation provided on the vikings, might this include why some in Europe and the UK have inherited the hand problem called the Viking disease.

Frederic von Ebert

Actually, there is a form of breast cancer that is much more common in two or three cities in Northern Portugal than anywhere else in the country. This has been attributed to Viking settlement of the area in the 9th through 11th centuries. Until recently, endogamy was strictly practiced in these towns, essentially preserving the Nordic gene pool and creating a greater tendency for the cancer. The city of Povoa de Varzim, just north of Porto, is the best example of this.

Last edited:
very, very interesting... so the mtDNA of vikings is shared with the israeli druze...

Israeli Druze are a mix of various people, not necessary native Middle Easterners. They also carry E-V13 & various other lineages along with Hellenic based beliefs that glorify Alexander the Great, for 1000yrs mating amongst themsleves so founder effect at its best.

IMO I-M170 was never in the Middle East until it spread from Europe, its closest cluster that can be considered a candidate of I* is to the North of Thrace, assuming thats the oldest I-M170 its still in Europe

Y-DNA

The Y-chromosome side is more consistent with the present incidence. Ancient Norse appeared to belong mostly to Y-DNA haplogroups I, R1a and R1b (S21+). There are nevertheless great disparities between the regions of Scandinavia. Denmark, along with Friesland, northern Germany and the Netherlands, have the highest incidence of hg R1b. Over 40% of Swedes belong to hg I1a, and another 10% to I1c. In Norway, the three haplogroups have about the same share, but with stronger R1b concentration in the South-West and R1a in the North.

It appears that Scandinavia already shared this variety of haplogroups 2000 years ago. The only thing that has changed over time is the increased blending between the original ethnic groups that converged in northern Europe.

Maybe I missed something, but neither of the articles you quoted seem to have tested any Y-DNA.

I believe the presence of mtdna Q is the result of a much displaced founder population that had common, "Indo-European" roots, where the original "European" populations were located, in Central Asia. The men were slaughtered and displaced, the women were used. These wars of aggression probably came mostly in the form of mass migrations and unorganized bands for most of the time.

I believe the presence of mtdna Q is the result of a much displaced founder population that had common, "Indo-European" roots, where the original "European" populations were located, in Central Asia. The men were slaughtered and displaced, the women were used. These wars of aggression probably came mostly in the form of mass migrations and unorganized bands for most of the time.

I suppose you mean Y-DNA Q? MtDNA Q is only found in Oceania.

You realise that this topic is 9 years old, right? We have learned a lot about haplogroup Q since then thanks to deep phylogenetic analysis. The Q1a subclades found in Scandinavia appear to be of Palaeolithic Siberian origin and some would have come with the Indo-Europeans from the European part of Russia. You can read more about it here.

By the 'Viking Disease', I assume you mean Dupuytren's Contracture, von Ebert. My sister had that; had to have surgery. With 23andme test I found out I am 87.8% Northwestern European and I figure my sister would be about the same. Strongest gene flow would be from England (our mother is 75% English), along with moderate Irish and German flows (both from our father; Irish also from our mother); our matrilineal is J1c2b and from County Waterford, Ireland, whose capital was founded by the Vikings.

Regarding "
By the 'Viking Disease', Dupuytren's Contracture" I have Y-Haplo I1, and trace back several generations of males in Sweden. My father, my brother and I all have the hand-disorder named above.

Also my tall medium brown haired MIL, from Southern Italy, had the hand disorder, too. I teased her and told her about the Normans that rules the region for centuries. "You are not an Italian; you are a Viking like me."

I have Dupuytren and I'm E-V13. So it's not necessarilly a Y-Haplo thing.

so this is explain why some viking runes readable with turkic language.

sources please ???

Frederic von Ebert

I suffer that condition, especially in my left hand, hard nodules in my palm pulling my ring finger in etc, Doctor said he will operate if it gets worse. I think it may be more widespread than previously thought.

Dane here, I have only met very few with Dupuytren. I do not think it is so common here in Denmark. Worked a short time at a nursing home in my younger days, and remember only one with the symptoms correspond to Dupuytren.
Perhaps all my stiff fingered ancestors took on vikings, and never came home….

very, very interesting... so the mtDNA of vikings is shared with the israeli druze... it makes sense when contextualized with the leading theory that the I yDNA haplogroups(which i belong to) were the first to leave the middle east, and followed the melting ice sheats north to scandinavia... whereas the other modern day europeans (the R haplogroups) first went to what is now the russian steppes for several millennium before then migrating west and populating most of continental europe...

What is this amazing story?!? and how a community of Y and mt-DNA coming from Near-East could have kept tight links between these parental markers so long time after and so far? Are you not confusing Y-I and mt-I ???

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27301240

Coll Antropol. 2016 Apr;40(1):63-4.
Similar Distributions of Dupuytren's Contracture and Y-Chromosome Haplogroup I Among Modern Europeans Suggest Simultaneous Spreading of These Traits Some 40 to 10 KYA.
Kurbel S, Samarzija Z.
Abstract
A proposition is made that when two independent traits show similar regional patterns of incidence among modern European regions, a plausible expectation is that these two, otherwise unrelated traits, have simultaneously been spread by migration of our ancestors. As a potential example for the proposed concept, distribution of patients with Dupuytren's contracture is here compared with the reported European distribution of Y-Chromosome Haplogroup I, a genetic marker linked to the last glaciation period.

PMID: 27301240

This thread has been viewed 105222 times.

Back