The Nordic countries - the most succesful in the world?

TheCaptain

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scandinavian
Many people around the world admire the Scandinavians for their high standard of living. And isn't it true that the Nordic countries are among the most developed countries in the world? Several international studies and surveys show that those countries have a lot to be proud of.

To begin with, the Human Development Index shows that Iceland is the most developed country in the world: (I'm sorry, I can't post URLs yet)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

1. Iceland
2. Norway
3. Australia

6. Sweden
11. Finland
14. Denmark

Next, according to the World Bank, all of the five Nordic countries are in the top 10, when measuring GDP per capita (nominal):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

1. Luxembourg
2. Norway
3. Iceland

5. Denmark
7. Sweden
8. Finland

In several surveys, the Danes are nominated "the happiest people in the world". Here is one of them:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfaction_with_Life_Index

1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Austria

4. Iceland
6. Finland
7. Sweden
19. Norway

The most democratic country in the world is Sweden:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_index

1. Sweden
2. Norway
3. Iceland

5. Denmark
6. Finland

The least corrupt countries in the world are Denmark, New Zealand and Sweden:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

1. Denmark
1. New Zealand
1. Sweden

5. Finland
7. Iceland
14. Norway

The most peaceful country in the world is Iceland:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

1. Iceland
2. Denmark
3. Norway

8. Finland
13. Sweden

Iceland, Norway and Luxembourg rank first in press freedom:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporters_Without_Borders

1. Iceland
1. Luxembourg
1. Norway

4. Finland
7. Sweden
14. Denmark

Denmark, Sweden and Finland have some of the world's most competitive economies:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Competitiveness_Report

1. United States
2. Switzerland
3. Denmark

4. Sweden
6. Finland
15. Norway
20. Iceland

So the conclusion is: The Nordic countries might be freezing cold, but their citizens are rich, happy, democratic, not corrupt, peaceful and free. And furthermore, Scandinavian women are gorgeous :)

"Iceland" I think your research is a little out of date bud.

"Iceland" I think your research is a little out of date bud.

Yeah, since the financial crisis, but GDP stats for 2008 will only be available in a few months.

Our economy (I am Australian living in Europe) is in crisis too my siblings say a lot of people have lost their jobs, luckily theirs are secured!

But over here in Europe we have problem with our economy too, luckily I am still a student and I don't need to work, and my family doesn’t have financial problem, but we are the above average income earners though!

I saw on France 24, some retired people were forced to go out to look for jobs.

I couldn’t imagine the humiliation!

Last edited:
I agree with you Captain!
However, things don't look very good these days. There's a lot of topsy-turvy afoot. Denmark has outdone us (Sweden) and so we're looking like "little brother" now. And Norway has surpased us all. Plus Denmark has decided to make residency for foreigners difficult and we (Sweden as usual) hasn't yet understood that Denmark is making the most logical decisions so we're taking all of your overflow and suffering dearly for it.
And then there's the financial crisis that is strangling us. I still agree with you but I'm not so sure about what's to come. ..... I'm really worried about our future.

I agree with you Captain!
However, things don't look very good these days. There's a lot of topsy-turvy afoot. Denmark has outdone us (Sweden) and so we're looking like "little brother" now. And Norway has surpased us all. Plus Denmark has decided to make residency for foreigners difficult and we (Sweden as usual) hasn't yet understood that Denmark is making the most logical decisions so we're taking all of your overflow and suffering dearly for it.
And then there's the financial crisis that is strangling us. I still agree with you but I'm not so sure about what's to come. ..... I'm really worried about our future.

Yes, indeed, Norway has surpassed us, in terms of GDP. And of course, it is their HUGE oil wealth that makes the whole difference. The only other country in Europe that is self-sufficient in oil is Denmark. Not only that, oil export generates a considerable revenue (especially when the oil price is high) for the Danish state. So thanks to the North Sea, the Danish and Norwegian economies are doing well, but in 30-40 years, the oil will be gone...

As you mentioned, Sweden and Denmark has COMPLETELY different immigration policies. The Swedes have the most liberal policies in Europe, and the Danes have some of the toughest. Swedes call us "racists" (I'm glad you didn't), because we have realized that a generous welfare state can't be combined with so liberal policies. In all European countries, immigrants from poor countries are a HUGE burden for the welfare state, so for most Danes limiting the immigration is just common sense.

Sweden, on the other hand, is an extreme case of political correctness. In Sweden, if you think that mass immigration from the Middle East is a problem, you are branded as a "racist"! Like in many other European countries, Sweden have countless problems (crime, ghettos, unemployment) as a result of the mass immigration, but Swedes just close their eyes and pretend nothing is happening. They don't want to address the problems, because they are afraid of offending some Muslims...

I'm deeply concerned about Sweden's future too. Many ghettos have so many social problems just watch this: (I can't post URLs yet, so copy-paste)

youtube.com/watch?v=diw5SneythM

And this article tells a lot about Sweden today:

nysun.com/opinion/while-sweden-slept/44831/

Sweden, on the other hand, is an extreme case of political correctness. In Sweden, if you think that mass immigration from the Middle East is a problem, you are branded as a "racist"! Like in many other European countries, Sweden have countless problems (crime, ghettos, unemployment) as a result of the mass immigration, but Swedes just close their eyes and pretend nothing is happening. They don't want to address the problems, because they are afraid of offending some Muslims...

Problem is that Muslims won't make the difference between Sweden and Denmark anyway (most Americans already don't), so the Swedes might as well do like the Danes.

Problem is that Muslims won't make the difference between Sweden and Denmark anyway (most Americans already don't), so the Swedes might as well do like the Danes.

Do like the Danes, regarding what?

By the way, here is another horror story from Sweden:

brusselsjournal.com/node/938

Do like the Danes, regarding what?

Immigration policies. Based on what you explained, the Swedes are being hypocritical (and with themselves at that !) because they are afraid of being called racists (by whom ?) if they limit immigration. That sounds crazy. Sweden already welcomes more refugees per capita that almost any other developed country. What are they trying to prove ?

..... In Sweden, if you think that mass immigration from the Middle East is a problem, you are branded as a "racist"! Like in many other European countries, Sweden have countless problems (crime, ghettos, unemployment) as a result of the mass immigration, but Swedes just close their eyes and pretend nothing is happening. They don't want to address the problems, because they are afraid of offending some Muslims...
That's exactly correct. I live in Malm・ by the way, and I suppose you know what happened here this past week end with the Sweden - Israel tennis match!

..... Based on what you explained, the Swedes ..... are afraid of being called racists (by whom ?) if they limit immigration. That sounds crazy. Sweden already welcomes more refugees per capita that almost any other developed country. What are they trying to prove ?
That we're not racists and that our theory on equality is steadfast.

I know that you're going to repeat that we "already welcomes more refugees per capita that almost any other developed country" but well we've got a complex about ourselves. To understand it maybe you can read something about what we call "gentelagen". It is fundamentally a good thing but it's created an emotional paradox that is very difficult to explain to a non-Scandinavian.

There seems to be a growing interest in the Scandinavian welfare model, especially in the US, where some media however paint a very rosy picture of Scandinavia. These videos are definitely worth seeing, although they show a one-sided view of Scandinavia:

Michael Moore in Norway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4L6-0WRfSA

The Daily Show in Sweden:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-april-21-2009/the-stockholm-syndrome-pt--1 (part 1)
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-22-2009/the-stockholm-syndrome-pt--2 (part 2)

Oprah Winfrey in Denmark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7s89ptz0dA (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QS8dROjKNY (part 2)

This thread has been viewed 18749 times.

Back