Border crossing bridge between Denmark and Germany to open in 2018

TheCaptain

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scandinavian
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt_bridge

This is old news to Danes and Germans, but I think other Europeans should know as well: In 2018 a new 18-kilometre border crossing bridge will open. It will connect the Danish island Lolland with the German island Fehmarn.

The bridge will shorten the rail journey from Hamburg to Copenhagen from 4¾ to 3-3¼ hours, and car drivers will save much time too.

Denmark is a country of bridges; i 1997 the Danes got the Great Belt Bridge, after that the Oresund Bridge to Sweden in 2000, and in 2018 another big project is completed!

I find a render on the internet. It's impressive.

bridges%20(2).jpg

There's another interesting project to connect Sicily with the Italic Peninsula. It is supposed to be the largest suspension bridge in the world.

There's another interesting project to connect Sicily with the Italic Peninsula. It is supposed to be the largest suspension bridge in the world.

Now, knowing the slowness of the Italian administration, especially in the South, it might take some time before the project materialises, if it happens at all.

The first phase of the project to construct the Strait of Messina Bridge actually started in 1953 ! Ideas were further discussed in the 1960's, feasibility studies undertaken in the 70's, the Messina Strait Company set up in the 80's, the plans approved by the government in the 90's, but the construction hasn't started yet. That's Italy ! (Belgium is almost as bad; Brussels citizens have been waiting for a Paris-style RER since 1991 and it doesn't look like it's going to be ready before 2020 !).

This thread has been viewed 13327 times.

Back