Iceland is only half Scandinavian

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Here is some news that will shake up our view of history. Iceland has long been considered as the only place in the world where people descended exclusively from Viking settlers, with virtually no outside admixture until the 20th century. Well this is all false. A genetic study by Icelandic personal genomics company DeCODEme came to the conclusion that Iceland was mainly settled by men of Scandinavian origin, but by Celtic women from Ireland and Scotland.

Here is the article.

DeCODE : Genetic snapshot of Iceland 1000 years ago

Not all men who settled in Iceland 1000 years ago were Scandinavian Vikings either. Iceland's high proportion of haplogroup R1b (about 42%, against about 28% in Norway) is probably a sign that 10 to 15% of the R1b lineages originated in the British Isles. This still has to be confirmed by analysing the R1b subclades found in Iceland. The percentage of L21+ would determine ancient British and Irish heritage.

This kind of story is very enlightening as it shows that paper history cannot be entirely trusted.

Bjork looks more Innuit than either Nordic or Celtic.

Bjork looks more Innuit than either Nordic or Celtic.

Maybe not Inuit, but at least Saami. There is a good deal of Saami blood among northern Scandinavians, especially on the maternal side (mtDNA). Maybe that's why I have seen many Scandinavian women (for some reason more than men) that were rather short, dark-haired/eyed and had some slight Mongoloid features. It's the opposite of the usual stereotype of tall, blond, big blue-eyed Scandinavian girls.

How interesting!

Here in Denmark, there is an old well-known (but unconfirmed) story, which tells that the Vikings carried off all the beautiful women they could find in Ireland. And that is why you don't find any attractive women in Ireland today! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So the Viking settlers in Iceland must have had a shortage of women, which made them steal some of the Irishwomen... We Scandinavians are so cool :p

It doesn't say much for Scandinavian women if the Vikings had to sail all the way to Ireland to find good looking Women.

If they had only known just how much they nagged once married I cant imagine they would have ever made the trip.
icon7.gif

Maybe not Inuit, but at least Saami. There is a good deal of Saami blood among northern Scandinavians, especially on the maternal side (mtDNA). Maybe that's why I have seen many Scandinavian women (for some reason more than men) that were rather short, dark-haired/eyed and had some slight Mongoloid features. It's the opposite of the usual stereotype of tall, blond, big blue-eyed Scandinavian girls.

Agnetha from Abba has mongoloid features. For example, many Slavic (Polish and Russian) and Celtic (Irish) people have mongoloid features too.

Agnetha from Abba has mongoloid features. For example, many Slavic (Polish and Russian) and Celtic (Irish) people have mongoloid features too.
That is because Indo-Europeans had facial features that somewhat resemble Mongoloid ones. Slavs and celts have the highest rates of Indo-European ancestry.

the most archaic people of Europe could have been some 'polar' features common among mongoloïds AND some europoids - its true that the eyeslids of SOME northern people (Finns and some Balts for the most) are hardly open, broad cut, and coming up on the external sides - but the true mongoloid bridle close the internal eye is absent for the most -
broad cheekbones are not the property of only mongoloids, what is typical for them is the forward position of them around a flat nose giving them a flat face -
I find Björk has only a very slight taste of mongoloid in her (Inuit maybe? see some rare Danes...) I confirm this kind of feature is very very seldom among traditional Icelanders

old lappish could suit too, I agree

the high levels of r1b in iceland could be because of the higher amounts r1b in norway compared to sweden that is

This thread has been viewed 23521 times.

Back