PDA

View Full Version : "Gentleman" sports

Miss Marple's nephew
26-04-09, 13:28
Is cricket the only gentlemanly game?

I was once a serious tennis player but these days the tennis match spectator's gallery (especially at the Davis Cup events) looks like a lawless brawl.

What's happened? The word "sport" was once synonimous with "civilized behaviour".

Maciamo
06-05-09, 17:15
There are many others in my opinion : tennis (depends where you play), golf, sailing...

Miss Marple's nephew
07-05-09, 12:08
Ah, yes. Sailing perhaps.

But all the "boo-ing and whistling" (plus the occasional outburst by the players) has ruined tennis as a "gentleman's sport". It all began to go downhill when Ilie Nastase and Ion Tiriac started shouting obscenities at the spectators and the judges. :angry:

Golf might be a contender except that I remember when the U.S. was trying to drum up enthusiasm for invading Irak - but France said, "No!" Shortly thereafter a Frenchman was pretty much ridiculed off the golf tournament by an American spectator. Well! Not what I call sportsmanship-like behaviour. :disappointed:

Maciamo
07-05-09, 14:10
Well, these are more isolated cases than the rule.

Mycernius
09-05-09, 19:45
They can get very serious about cricket in India and Pakistan and some games have had the problems that football has seen in Europe.

Miss Marple's nephew
11-05-09, 11:00
They can get very serious about cricket in India and Pakistan and some games have had the problems that football has seen in Europe.

I think you meant to say, "They can get very serious about cricket BETWEEN India and Pakistan" :laughing: