linking haplogroups to tribes

j2a4

Reaction score
My y-dna haplogroup j2a4 and no downstream of it.
My mt-dna haplogroup is K and predicted K1a.

At HV1: 16224C, 16311c

At HV2:

• 73G
  • 245C
  • 263G
  • 315,1C
  • 497T
  • 524,1C
  • 524,2A
  • 524,3C
  • 524,4A
  • 524,5C
  • 524,6A
Can you link me to a specific country or tribe? If not which are the possible countries/tribes?

Thanks

The J2 Y haplogroup occurs heavily in the Southeastern Mediterranean and the Middle East. K (mt-DNA) I believe is Italic-Alpine in origin. Perhaps Maciamo or others could take this further. I'm hardly an expert.

The phylogeny of Y-DNA haplogroup J has changed over time. Is your J2a4 defined by the L26/S57 mutation ? J2a4 has 8 known subclades, with many more sub-subclades. You probably belong to one of them, but I can't help you much without knowing which it is.

For example, J2a4a (M47) is found mostly in the northern half of the Middle East, in Iran, Iraq and Turkey, but J2a4b (M67) is most common around the Caucasus, and also widespread in Anatolia, Greece, Italy and southern Iberia.

MtDNA haplogroup K almost certainly originated in the Near East. There are so many subclades that it is hard to say where it came from. A HVR1+2 test is not sufficient to known which subclade of K1a you belong to. But the full sequence test is still quite expensive and won't help you a lot now.

K1a itself might also have originated in the Near East, but that could be anywhere between the Caucasus and the Levant.

At present it is impossible to say if it is associated with the Indo-Europeans, the early Neolithic farmers, the ancient Greeks, the Phoenicians, or several of them. Considering the wide spread of K1a in North-West Europe as well as the Middle-East, I would rather see the early Neolithic farmers from Anatolia and Greece as the main population source.

Thank you all for your information. Yes I tested positive for L26 and L27 (Y-DNA) but I don't belong any more downstream of it.
For my mtdna I have low resolution matches from different countries of Europe but also from Africa (possible from Arabs) including:France, Britain, Poland, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Italy and Switzerland.
From what I know until now none of my mtdna matches have Jewish ancestry. As being maternally from Cyprus it make sense that I am mtdna haplogroup k. (Greeks and Phoenicians settled in Cyprus)
But if I have Greek or Levantine ancestry shouldn't I have matches from this area?
For my paternal line I don't have any matches but some close from Wales, but haplogroup j2 isn't native in north-western Europe so I don't think I come from that area.I also have a two-step mutation with a Turk from Iran and many 3 and 4-step mutations from different countries. Paternally I come from Lebanon so most likely I come from the Phoenicians or Italians or Greeks.

Thank you.

Did some Dorians carry mtdna haplogroup k, or more specifically k1a?

Greetings j2a4

My wife and daughters are also predicted K1a as they have the 497T

HVR1

16188T
16224C
16311C
16519C

HVR2

00073G
00263G
00309.1C
00315.1C
00497T

I have read North Italy maybe a 'hotspot'

Brian

My y-dna haplogroup j2a4 and no downstream of it.
My mt-dna haplogroup is K and predicted K1a.

At HV1: 16224C, 16311c

At HV2:

• 73G
  • 245C
  • 263G
  • 315,1C
  • 497T
  • 524,1C
  • 524,2A
  • 524,3C
  • 524,4A
  • 524,5C
  • 524,6A
Can you link me to a specific country or tribe? If not which are the possible countries/tribes?

Thanks

Hi J2a4,

I was quite excited to read your post especially due to the fact that you come from Cyprus. At one point I was worrying that I was the only Cypriot having any interest in population genetics and genetic genealogy! Really! Anyway, regarding your initial post, I have a friend who has recently tested with FTDNA and his haplogroup turns out to be J2a4 as well. Just to clarify something. You said that you father comes from Lebanon. Is this right? Can I also ask whether you have tested with FTDNA? This friend of mine has no exact matches at all so I was wondering if you and him match with a distance of -1 or -2. A general note, as you were puzzled about the origin of your haplogroup, J2 has been the predominant haplogroup in the Levant since very very ancient times. For example the pre-Phoencian population of the Levant were primarily J2, as were the Phoenicians (though not purely J2), as were the Semetic tribes in the time of Jesus, etc. All these tribes settled Cyprus throughout the centuries, so there is no surprise that Cyprus has a high proportion of J2a. Therefore J2 can be regarded as the indigenous haplogroup of both Lebanon and Cyprus. I would be happy to discuss this issue further with you and also share my own results, which are also quite puzzling..

Hi Alexandre,

It's been years since I've been here.

Thanks for the above.

Sure, if genetic genealogy still interests you, I'd be delighted to discuss both of our results

This thread has been viewed 16810 times.

Back