The available Y-DNA test

motatalea

Reaction score
please i need a help

1-for the family tree dna ,If i had Y-DNA test of 12 markers ,could they tell me that my haplogroup is J only as for instance or they will determine if iam J1 or J2? I mean is Y-DNA 12 markers enough to determine if iam J1 or J2?
2- can 25 markers Y-DNA test determine if you are J1e or J1b as an examples or not?if not so what is the useful of 12 ,37,42,67 markers tests?

You could take a 12 STR test first to determine whether you are J. But if you are interested in subclades, don't bother with further STR tests, go for a SNP test. The problem with Family Tree DNA's SNP tests is that you have to take them one by one for each subclade, which quickly becomes expensive given the number of J subclades (about 40 to 70$ per SNP !).

A cheaper alternative would be to test with EthnoAncestry. It is 189$ to test for 18 subclades of J. But instead of taking first a STR test then a SNP test, the most interesting choice is to go directly for a 23andMe test, which tests about 600,000 SNP's for 399$ and will give you all your Y-DNA AND mtDNA subclades + autosomal ancestry + health information. It may look expensive at first, but with other companies you will end up ordering many tests that will cost you more just to know everything about your Y-DNA and mtDNA.

But a 12-marker STR test remains the cheapest way to find out about your Y-DNA haplogroup, and this is the only thing that matters to some people at the moment. It's true that there is little point knowing your deep subclade if you belong to a haplogroup like R1a or I1.

Last edited:
You could take a 12 STR test first to determine whether you are J. But if you are interested in subclades, don't bother with further STR tests, go for a SNP test. The problem with Family Tree DNA's SNP tests is that you have to take them one by one for each subclade, which quickly becomes expensive given the number of J subclades (about 40 to 70$ per SNP !).

A cheaper alternative would be to test with EthnoAncestry. It is 189$ to test for 18 subclades of J. But instead of taking first a STR test then a SNP test, the most interesting choice is to go directly for a 23andMe test, which tests about 600,000 SNP's for 399$ and will give you all your Y-DNA AND mtDNA subclades + autosomal ancestry + health information. It may look expensive at first, but with other companies you will end up ordering many tests that will cost you more just to know everything about your Y-DNA and mtDNA.

But a 12-marker STR test remains the cheapest way to find out about your Y-DNA haplogroup, and this is the only thing that matters to some people at the moment. It's true that there is little point knowing your deep subclade if you belong to a haplogroup like R1a or I1.

1-So, the increasing STR markers doesnot match with knowledge of the deep subclade where 25,37,43 and 67 markers used only for comparison between generations and not in determing deep subclade right?

2-ok, if I made Y-DNA 12 markers test ,Would i know if iam J1 or J2 ?and please could you send me a picture of samples of people that made Y-DNA 12 markers test by family tree dna?because i want to know how the rsult will be shown:grin:

please i need a help

1-for the family tree dna ,If i had Y-DNA test of 12 markers ,could they tell me that my haplogroup is J only as for instance or they will determine if iam J1 or J2? I mean is Y-DNA 12 markers enough to determine if iam J1 or J2?
2- can 25 markers Y-DNA test determine if you are J1e or J1b as an examples or not?if not so what is the useful of 12 ,37,42,67 markers tests?

FTDNA tests in general are very expensive for what they offer, if you want to know your haplogroup; ie...E1b1b1a, E1b1b1b, J1 or J2 you should test with Family Builder for 59$ you get 17 markers, if you want to find out your specific subclade its best for you to get an SNP test with EThnoancestry or 23&me like Maciamo said.

FTDNA tests in general are very expensive for what they offer, if you want to know your haplogroup; ie...E1b1b1a, E1b1b1b, J1 or J2 you should test with Family Builder for 59$ you get 17 markers, if you want to find out your specific subclade its best for you to get an SNP test with EThnoancestry or 23&me like Maciamo said.

ok how much time does the sample take to reach to me if i made Y-DNA test from family builder?

This thread has been viewed 9955 times.

Back