J1a* or J1c3?

Nasturtium

Reaction score
Ethnic group
UK/German/Irish
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c3i
I did my DNA test through 23andme and my mtdna is listed as J1a*. I am a female and my most distant female ancestor can be traced to Frankfurt, Germany. My global similiarity came out Orcadian/Norwegian. In researching the J mtdna haplogroup I came across some information which said J1a* was found to be J2a, and had been superceded. I posted this in the 23andme forum, and had someone who knows DNA far better than me, look at my raw data. He thinks I am actually J1c3. 23andme is revamping their haplogroups information and this may be resolved eventually by them (the keyword is EVENTUALLY). Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I see J1a* is still listed on a chart on this website and it corresponds nicely with my genetic history. J1c is listed but I couldn't find anything specific relating to it. Thanks! (y)

There is not much to tell about mtDNA haplogroups. They are too old to be associated with civilizations in historical times. Most mtDNA haplogroups date from the last Ice Age (Paleolithic) or the early Neolithic. The only thing that seems more or less certain about haplogroup J is that it first appeared in the Middle East and came to Europe with the early Neolithic farmers (or later).

As much as I believe we should have.

I also from my mother's side I'm J1c3 according to 23andme. I can not find any information about this mtDNA. I am from Romania.

I also from my mother's side I'm J1c3 according to 23andme. I can not find any information about this mtDNA. I am from Romania.

If you have not checked the page for mtdna J yet, you may find this useful:

J1c3 : found throughout Europe
J1c3a : found in north-western Europe
J1c3b : found in north-western Europe
J1c3c : found in France, Germany and the Benelux
J1c3d : found in Russia
J1c3e : found in central and north-eastern Europe
J1c3f : found in northern Europe
J1c3g : found in north-western Europe and Russia
J1c3h
J1c3i
J1c3j
J1c3k : found in Russia (Adygea)

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_J_mtDNA.shtml

I am J1c3c, from Portugal.
I believe I read somewhere that the general belief is that J developed somewhere in southeastern Europe/Anatolia.
Although for J1 there is no clear pattern to dispersal and can be found all over western eurasia with apparent majority living in south west asia, but is not indicative of it's origin.

This thread has been viewed 14755 times.

Back