Politics Van Rompuy becomes EU's first president

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
19 November 2009 was a historical date for Europeans. For the first time in history, most of Europe (the EU) is unified under a single president. The top job was assigned to Belgian Prime Minister, Herman Van Rompuy.

Although the press has already criticised the choice due to Van Rompuy's shyness and lack of charisma, he qualifies well for the job thanks to his cross-cultural negotiating skills and multilingualism. Europe needs to be unified under a competent leader. It does not need a superstar president who doesn't know what he his doing. In other words Van Rompuy is a sort of anti-Bush Jr.

The BBC has a summary chart comparing the status and function of the EU president in contrast with the US president. We can see at once that the power of the US president is more dictatorial (commander-in-chief of the army, can sign executive orders without Congress approval) while the EU presidency looks resolutely democratic and modern.

Maybe I missed something but it is a kind of confusing. The EU Constituation is not ratified yet, technically. But the President established by this Constitution is here.

I have to admit I know nothing about Rompuy, and probably saw the guy first time in my life. I hope he's smarter than he looks. First impression wasn't great, the dude doesn't even know how to use the comb if he wants to carry what's left on his head, or get a haircut. Even if this doesn't naturally come to him, in his age he should have learnt the importance of first impression in politics or in front of millions on TV. I would say we need leaders with good common sense. He might be too nerdy to know how the real life works, as Bush was too romantic to understand.
I was hoping for Tony Blair, the only candidate I knew, lol, smart and I love listening to his great speeches.
Anyway congrats to Belgium for the first EU president!

Maybe I missed something but it is a kind of confusing. The EU Constituation is not ratified yet, technically. But the President established by this Constitution is here.

The EU Constitution has become the Lisbon Treaty. It has been ratified by all member states and will enter into force on 1 December 2009.

I have to admit I know nothing about Rompuy, and probably saw the guy first time in my life. I hope he's smarter than he looks. First impression wasn't great, the dude doesn't even know how to use the comb if he wants to carry what's left on his head, or get a haircut. Even if this doesn't naturally come to him, in his age he should have learnt the importance of first impression in politics or in front of millions on TV. I would say we need leaders with good common sense. He might be too nerdy to know how the real life works, as Bush was too romantic to understand.
I was hoping for Tony Blair, the only candidate I knew, lol, smart and I love listening to his great speeches.
Anyway congrats to Belgium for the first EU president!

My first impression wasn't great either. But I have known him for years in Belgian politics and he is probably much more capable than he appears. People shouldn't judge on looks alone. This is one of the main failures of democracy, electing people for their looks and charisma rather than their abilities and experience. He was elected by head of states and ministers. They know why they chose him and not someone else. As an Italian journalist commented on Euronews, "if Van Rompuy managed to govern Belgium, Europe will be a piece of cake for him." :giggle:

I don't understand the criticism that Van Rompuy is not famous enough to become President of the European Council. Until now it was a rotating presidency for 6 months, with the head of state of the presiding country designated as president of the council. This means that the president of Malta or Cyprus could be at the head of Europe. They are certainly less famous. There was also no guarantee that the president was up to the task, or pro-EU, or even interested in ruling the EU Council in addition to his/her country.

As far as celebrity is concerned, Barrack Obama was a perfect stranger to most people inside and outside the US just 2 years before he became president, and dare I say until he became president for some people. He had never served in a government before. Van Rompuy was already Prime Minister of Belgium; reputedly the most difficult country to manage politically in Europe due to the delicate cultural and linguistic differences between north and south (Belgium can be seen as the epitome of the major divide between Latin and Germanic cultures in Western Europe).

From a purely practical point of view, Van Rompuy already lives in Brussels, so there won't be any relocation or commuting fee for his new assignation, which is good news for tax payers. ;)

Maciamo, why do you feel a strong need to defend the guy? ...right, you're from Belgium. :)
It reminds me all responses of black Americans after Obama was elected. They all were saying that he is the best president ever, that he will show the world, the whole world will be so much better soon, he will do miracles. lol
Just a minute, relax, I'd say, let's step back, sit down and watch, and let them just be. Let's not make anything else of them, than they actually are.
Both of them have the whole presidency to be a good president, and to prove skeptics wrong.

Maciamo, why do you feel a strong need to defend the guy? ...right, you're from Belgium. :)
It reminds me all responses of black Americans after Obama was elected. They all were saying that he is the best president ever, that he will show the world, the whole world will be so much better soon, he will do miracles. lol
Just a minute, relax, I'd say, let's step back, sit down and watch, and let them just be. Let's not make anything else of them, than they actually are.
Both of them have the whole presidency to be a good president, and to prove skeptics wrong.

I am not defending the guy. I just don't see how people can criticise him before he takes office on basis that they don't know him ! I am just saying, wait and see. Let's not forget that he was elected by the governments of the 27 member-states. They certainly haven't taken the decision lightly. They had all the information necessary about every candidate, lots of advisers... He was not elected by an ignorant pleb.

When Bush was elected in 2001 I wasn't very pleased knowing he was a hardcore Evangelist. But I waited that he made a fool of himself then made crucial mistakes (Iraq War, Patriot Act) before criticising him. I was glad that Sarkozy and Obama became presidents based on their campaign programme, but I also waited to see if they'd keep their promises before judging them. So far they have been doing a pretty good job carrying on the reforms they announced. But you never know what will happen. Tony Blair was an excellent PM until he started supporting Bush and try convincing Europeans to invade Iraq. His display of religiousness in recent years, combined with his close association with the Catholic Church and his Faith and Globalisation initiative have all help to seriously deteriorate the good image I had of him. I am obviously not the only one, as he was boycotted by many EU member states for the EU presidency. Van Rompuy was elected against Blair. It must mean that it is not completely useless. ;)

The Lisbon Treaty comes into force today.

My personal slant on it is that it's a plus he's not a celebrity politician. Substance over image would make a refreshing change in politics, and from what I know about him, he manages the different factions in Belgium very well.

Again, it's a personal view, but Blair would have been the opposite (i.e. divisive) and a disaster for EU cohesion.

His necessity is still something of a mystery to me.

Perhaps someone could help to illuminate?

His necessity is still something of a mystery to me.

Perhaps someone could help to illuminate?

The new permanent presidency of the EU is just replacing the 6-month rotating presidency. This way non-European leaders around the world won't have to check who is in charge of the EU every 6 months. It brings a more stable international image of the EU.

Secondly, the new president will now be fully dedicated to his job. With the rotating presidency, it was the incumbent country's PM or president who presided the EU, thus having to govern both his/her country + the EU. It precents what French-speakers call the cumul des mandats ("accumulation of terms").

Van Rompuy's name may not yet be famous, but who can name the exiting EU president (last rotating presidency) ? It was Sweden's PM. Still doesn't ring any bell ? Fredrik Reinfeldt. Unlikely that many (non-Scandinavian) people should know Reinfeldt and not Van Rompuy. Imagine what it would be if Malta's president were to preside the EU ! At least we have a 2.5 years to familiarise ourselves with the same guy now.

Why does the EU need an international image? Why not have a flag?

One need not pay a flag.

Why does the EU need an international image? Why not have a flag?

One need not pay a flag.

I don't understand what you mean. The EU already has a flag. What does this have to do with this discussion ?

A flag is also an image. Why not simply have one of them? They don't cost so much.

If the EU wishes to look strong and stable, it should dedicate itself above all else to the acquisition of vast quantities of money and the bringing together of diverse abd vastly powerful economies.

Committees, presidents, and silly rules? All this is a distraction.

Last edited:
Van Rompuy Strikes!

That's the guy who crashed his mini airplane towing a UKIP banner 5 days ago.

Yeah, I gues he might want to think twice next time he thinks about insulting one of the most powerful men in th world, beware Van Rompuy!

Farage_1_714987a.jpg

wow, that must have been a very ugly accident. Thanks God nobody died.

This thread has been viewed 22996 times.

Back