rms2

Reaction score
Ethnic group
British/Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L21 (S145, M529)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a2
We have a new R-L21* whose ancestor came from Flanders in Belgium: Vanover, kit 35171, Ysearch 4VHY9.

He's our first from Belgium of hopefully many many more.

Needless to say, I'm very happy. That helps start to fill in a gap in our data.

Belgium is grossly under represented in FTDNA's Ancestral Origins database. As of this morning, there are only 437 men who list Belgium as their ancestral home, and certainly not all of them have been SNP tested. Compare that to well over 51,000 for the British Isles (about 12,000 for Ireland alone).

Good news. I hope more Belgians will test. It would be good to contact all those who tested positive for R-P312 in the Brabant DNA project and ask them to test for L21.

What does it mean? That Belgiums like the Irish have more Bruenn/Borreby ancestors?
R 1b?

Erik

Good news. I hope more Belgians will test. It would be good to contact all those who tested positive for R-P312 in the Brabant DNA project and ask them to test for L21.

That would be a good thing to do.

I understand the Brabant Project didn't test for L21 because when they were planning the thing, L21 had not yet been added to the YCC (Y Chromosome Consortium) Tree, and they went by the YCC Tree.

Maybe as they move forward into other parts of Belgium, they will begin testing for L21.

What does it mean? That Belgiums like the Irish have more Bruenn/Borreby ancestors?
R 1b?

Erik

L21 is a subclade of the pan-Italo-Celtic R1b-P312 haplogroup. It's still R1b.

Well, I have to make a slight correction. I heard from the lady in charge of Vanover's kit. It turns out the most distant ancestor was born in Sluis in East Flanders, just over the border in the Netherlands, almost but not quite in Belgium.

So, I guess we are still waiting for our first confirmed Belgian R-L21*.
redface.gif

Close, but no cigar!

This thread has been viewed 9314 times.

Back