Does Y chromossome affects our phenotype (physicall or psychic)?

Neander

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian - Dinaric
Y-DNA haplogroup
Pre-Adam
mtDNA haplogroup
Pre-Eva
Do you think or have any data about the question, if the Y chromossome sets our phanotype (Race), in a small percentage, or our psychic character?

The Y chromosome has no known phenotypical effect, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. It certainly influences the testosterone level, and therefore the character, hairiness, etc.

Basically not. For example , the haplogroup I has all types of ethnicities and phenotypes. From scandinavian to south slavic, to basque , to Sardinian..So NO.

haplogroup I is not so widespread,it is dominant only in some germanic and west balkan populations.and it is almost non-existent outside europe.haplogroup R1 is much more widespread...
i believe haplogroups affect the looks in sense the ethnicities who carry larger number of common markers(therefore common origin) are likely too look more similar to each other than to others.just that.

There are R1a1 which look Mongoloid and Europoid. And I always laugh on those who tend to consider R1a as Aryan/pure white Hg.

There are cases of Nordic types that test as J1 or even L.

Autosomal DNA (the entire range of Y and mt-DNA influences combined) determines phenotype.

haplogroup I is not so widespread,it is dominant only in some germanic and west balkan populations.
I1 is also quite frequent in the Sámi populations

Norwegian Sámi 40.9%
Finnish Sámi 40.6%
Swedish Sámi 31.4%
Kola Sámi 17.4%

I1 is also quite frequent in the Sámi populations

Norwegian Sámi 40.9%
Finnish Sámi 40.6%
Swedish Sámi 31.4%
Kola Sámi 17.4%

In my opinion, Haplogroup I1 probably represents the "aboriginal" population of Scandinavia, which was later absorbed by both Uralic-speaking peoples and (even later) by the Indo-Europeans (arriving first with the Battle Axe culture in Scandinavia).

I seem to remember several years ago about a Dutch family that had a large percentage of the men who had been arrested for violent criminal behavior. Seems like the claim was that they found some genetic marker in their Y DNA. Then again, I am old and might have dreamed this.

I found the link, it was not Y linked but apparently X linked.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1682278/pdf/ajhg00064-0013.pdf

The paper is ancient since it was written in the early 1990's, but I remember it made the news. The reason I remember it was that there was a family that lived in my town with very similar behavior from the men. The women of the family were universal regarded as intelligent, decent women while the men were extremely violent, not quite bright and most of them ended up murdered or in jail.
One brother actually murdered his younger brother and 3 other of the brothers and cousins beat their uncle to death over the use of a vehicle.

Last edited:
Obviously not since me and my brother look quite different but we have the same haplogroup.

It certainly influences the testosterone level, and therefore the character, hairiness, etc.

Can Maciamo or someone else knowledgable in the subject please elaborate on this as I'm greatly interested. What do we know about the various haplogroups' influence on testoterone levels so far?

The Y chromosome has no known phenotypical effect, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. It certainly influences the testosterone level, and therefore the character, hairiness, etc.

Very interesting! If you remember, several months ago (if not longer) we'd had some debates about this topic (especially as it pertained to I1 vs. R1b)-- I see now that I wasn't the first to explore this connection. Somehow researching the MAO-A gene (and DRD4/DRD2) led me to your post.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 16033 times.

Back