maciamo what haplogroups would maltese peoples have?

maltesekid

Reaction score
E AND J2 MAYBE? my family has got a olive skin appearance with black curly/wavy hair and dark eyes we get confused for lebanese and syrian and syrian etc

maybe thats true but there has to be a genetic reason why some of my family members look dark some can pass for egyptian my family probably has j or e then cause no one looks basque or irish here lol or german

The genetic reason doesnt exist. It is a climatic reason.

South Europeans dont live in North Europe. And they must be adapted in that climate, that means they must be dark skined, and there is no other way to survive.;

Even if Norwegians came to south europe, they also must adapt to this climate. And they will be dark skined after some times.

i always thought genetics determines it as well but climate has something to do with it? so if norwegian nordics and irish celts go to saudi arabia in a few hundred years theyd turn into arabian bedouins and look arabic have a hooked nose resemble bin laden etc?? i think it must be climatic+genetics

maybe thats true but there has to be a genetic reason why some of my family members look dark some can pass for egyptian my family probably has j or e then cause no one looks basque or irish here lol or german

I don't think you can determine your Y-dna haplogroup based on your appearance. If you are lets say haplogroup J, that means that the father of the father of the father etc of your father a few thousand years ago had J haplogroup. This means one person out of millions of ancestors you have and they all (well recent ones usually) influence your appearance, not only that one person that passed his haplogroup to you.

For example if a white man with I haplogroup marries a black woman and they have a boy and that boy marries a black woman and they have a boy and all the kids in general continue to marry black women then all the kids will look black and if one of them has his dna tested the result will be I, a result you wouldn't have guessed based on the appearance of that person because I haplogroup is mainly European.

Phenotype is determined by autosomal DNA in combination with environmental factors.

so maybe my dad is dark and can pass for middle eastern or north african because 1, he has either j or e or t haplogroup, and 2, we come from a less mountain area of malta, or 3, the climate is hot?? so the darkest europeans with the darkest hair skin and eyes woud be these 3 combos? possibly along the coasts of the mediterranean and not the mountains and where people have e j and t haplogroup not r1a i or r1b

so maybe my dad is dark and can pass for middle eastern or north african because 1, he has either j or e or t haplogroup, and 2, we come from a less mountain area of malta, or 3, the climate is hot?? so the darkest europeans with the darkest hair skin and eyes woud be these 3 combos? possibly along the coasts of the mediterranean and not the mountains and where people have e j and t haplogroup not r1a i or r1b
again , the haplogroups you have have nothing to do with how you look...
You are very confused ...You can be blonde, red-haired, blue-eyed, and pale skinned and be J or E.. Or you can be R1b or R1a and be olive skinned, or a very tanned person..

E AND J2 MAYBE? my family has got a olive skin appearance with black curly/wavy hair and dark eyes we get confused for lebanese and syrian and syrian etc

Well, many lebaneses and syrians (surprisingly) migrated to Mexico. Salma Hayek's father is from lebanese roots.

There you have your answer Sirious. (y)

i always thought genetics determines it as well but climate has something to do with it? so if norwegian nordics and irish celts go to saudi arabia in a few hundred years theyd turn into arabian bedouins and look arabic have a hooked nose resemble bin laden etc?? i think it must be climatic+genetics

I find this comment extremely ignorant, offensive and racist.

Capelli et al 2005 "Population Structure in the Mediterranean Basin: A Y Chromosome Perspective" found the followoing frequencies (N=90) in Malta :

R1b : 32.2%
J2 : 21.1%
I : 12.2%
E1b1b : 8.9%
J1 : 7.8%
F : 6.7%
K : 4.4%
R1a : 3.3%
E1b1a : 1.1%
E* : 1.1%
P : 1.1%

thank you very much luis wow j1 almost 8% :) maltese are very diverse theres also f and k amazing

Capelli et al 2005 "Population Structure in the Mediterranean Basin: A Y Chromosome Perspective" found the followoing frequencies (N=90) in Malta :

R1b : 32.2%
J2 : 21.1%
I : 12.2%
E1b1b : 8.9%
J1 : 7.8%
F : 6.7%
K : 4.4%
R1a : 3.3%
E1b1a : 1.1%
E* : 1.1%
P : 1.1%
J2 I have heard is phoenician. Is it J2a or J2b?

J2 I have heard is phoenician. Is it J2a or J2b?
You cant equate J2a or J2b with a 3000 year old civilization, they are almost 40000 years old and were around long before the phoenicians. Its also highly doubtful that they are responsible for most of the J2 in Malta, Malta has been inhabited since the early Neolithic, and J2 was probably there very early.

You cant equate J2a or J2b with a 3000 year old civilization, they are almost 40000 years old and were around long before the phoenicians. Its also highly doubtful that they are responsible for most of the J2 in Malta, Malta has been inhabited since the early Neolithic, and J2 was probably there very early.
Are you saing that J2a or J2b are newer subclades of J? I am confused J1 and J2 are seperate haplogroups right? So what could phoenicians were? I saw a english language Lebanese tv program and they were getting tested to find out if they were phoenicians. Because phoenicians settled in Malta and Maltese are largely J, Lebanese believed that J is Phoenician haplogroup.

I believe Phoenicians where J2. J1 is linked to the south-central Arabian peninsula ( Saudi Arabia, yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, qatar, bahrain southern Iraq and parts of Syria. It can also be found in parts of north-Africa). J2 is linked to the Fertile Crescent ( turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia north Syria/Iraq, Georgia, Lebanon, etc.) ( response to albano polis)

Last edited:
According to the apparent male genetic composition of the island of Malta in the Mediterranean, about one third of Maltese men are actually R1b which is more of a Celtic, Western European paternal marker, indicating Italians or some continental West-Europeans must have at one point or another, migrated there. About 20% of the men where J2, which was a Mesopotamian, Assyrian and probably even Phoenician marker from the Fertile Crescent region of the Middle East. These men where fueled by an abundance of agriculture during the neolithic period, to sail and expand by colonizing parts of southern mediterranean europe from the middle east. And then about 10-12% are haplogroup I, which as well, must have arrived from continental Europe. Surprisingly, e3b is only found in about 9% of Maltese, so only about one in ten Maltese men have a north-African paternal ancestor.

Appearance has little to do with what haplogroups you have. Anyways, the most frequent haplogroup in the Malteses are the R1b, followed by J, I, E, F
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16626331

exact at individual level, but said as that, a little bit ti "dry" - but the question here concerns (I think) the global distributions of Y-HGs -
at population levels, the distribution of Y-HGs can have some link with autosomals distribution so with external look , and mt DNA can give the complement so...

This thread has been viewed 23349 times.

Back