St Delcambre

Reaction score
Ethnic group
French (Nord region) ancestry
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1a3a1c
mtDNA haplogroup
U2e1a
Greetings board members. First, I'd like to thank all those involved who contribute to the board with interesting reading material and explanations that attempt to provide members such as myself with a basic understanding.

In this thread I'm going to request a few of those explanations from you so that I can better understand my personal results. I recently received my Y-DNA Haplogroup results and I have so many questions that I'm honestly not quite sure where to begin. I apologize if the following questions are excessively rudimentary but my basic understanding is very limited so I'd rather ask those knowledgeable in the topic at hand rather than draw up uneducated "understandings" of my own. (By the way, I am from The United States tracing back my family origins to the Nord Department of France. My predicted Haplogroup based upon my results is I1). Without further adieu:

1) How accurate is the twenty marker test in predicting my Haplogroup? From what I understand tests vary anywhere from 10-67 STR tested. Should I have tested more than twenty markers in order to achieve a more accurate result?

2) Are the marker results I've received unique only to my Haplogroup (I1) or just most frequently found in my Haplogroup (I1)?

3) How much in common genetically do I actually have with other people bearing my Haplogroup (I1)? Are there any concrete traits people with a common Haplogroup share? More susceptible to a certain disease? More resilient to a disorder? etc...

4) I've compared my results to the "Nordveldt Haplogroups" (first basic search I stumbled upon) and found all the markers I'm seeing in my results are consistent with his Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Ultra Norse models except for three, which leads me to ask you a very informal "what in the heck are GATA H4-11, YCAlla-19, and YCAllb-21?"

5) How broad is I1? How much further can it broken down (if at all)? If more specific testing results are available in "narrowing down the field" what should my next course of action be?

Once again, thank you. I'm a bit out of my element here, so any answers helping me to come to a better understanding will be most appreciated.

Also, please be merciful towards any typographical errors. :grin:

1) Haplogroup I1 does not have a lot of subclades, and most people do not belong to any subclade. The only way to determine if you do belong to a subclade is a SNP test (deep clade test), not a STR test. But I wouldn't recommend it at the moment because very little is known about the origin and distribution of I1 subclades. If you are I1 you know that your ancestors were from Scandinavia or northern Germany. That's one of the least ambiguous haplogroup regarding ethnic/geographic origins.

2) Normally they are unique, but if you only tested 12 markers it may occasionally be too similar to another haplogroup to be certain. In that case companies like FTDNA offer a free SNP test to confirm that your are I1.

3) Your Y-DNA haplogroup only tells you about your Y-chromosome. If you want to compare other chromosomes with specific populations you need an autosomal test like 23andMe or deCODEme.

4) GATA H4, YCAlla, and YCAllb are STR markers (that apparently you didn't test). If your ancestors are from the Nord-Pas-de-Calais, your I1 is almost certainly of Frankish or Saxon origin (which isn't that different as the two populations were mixed in the region, and have the same roots in northern Germany).

5) I1 is very homogeneous because it expanded from a small area with a small population fairly recently. I am sure that a more detailed breakdown will be possible in the future, but we need to be patient.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

"GATA H4, YCAlla, and YCAllb are STR markers (that apparently you didn't test)."

I did test for them, they just weren't included on the modal haplotypes I was comparing my results to so I got confused.

"The only way to determine if you do belong to a subclade is a SNP test (deep clade test), not a STR test. But I wouldn't recommend it at the moment because very little is known about the origin and distribution of I1 subclades."

Thank you for the advice! I was close to wasting a bit more money in order to find out these results. On a related note, I came across this website: members.bex.net/jtcullen515/haplotest.htm (I'm not yet allowed to post an actual link)

According to it's generator (keying in the results I received from Genebase) my predicted Haplogroup is I-M253 with a supposed accuracy of 100%. According to the subclade generation results the highest probabilities I received were I-M253-T2 (25%) I-M253-T13 (25%) and I-M253-ASgen (24%). Naturally, I have no idea what these results even mean but I was wondering if Maciamo could confirm this link and its generator as a valid source of information or not.

Also, I'm unable to quote for some reason and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. :sad-2:

I-M253-T2 (25%) I-M253-T13 (25%) and I-M253-ASgen (24%) are not real subclades determined by SNP. They are just clusters of people with similar STR values.

The haplotest in link is reliable, but never gives 100% certainty because it's just STR similarities with other people. It's interesting, but that's it.

This thread has been viewed 15628 times.

Back