• Total voters

edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
What are continental European views on Britain's attitiude towards the EU.
Often sitting on the atlantic fence looking over at America, would other Europeans rather Britain leave the EU and go play with their american cousins?

How can the EU function as any kind of political entity when Britain takes sides with America over Iraq, surely this only serves to undermine the whole point of the union?

What of a union of english speaking countries instead, UK, Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealnd. Open border all trading on the US Dollar.

Although they is a portion of the British population who does not feel European (probably because they have never really travelled or lived in other EU countries), I think that Britain is actually one of the most essential part of the EU. It is an early example of successful federation of European cultures.

Although they is a portion of the British population who does not feel European (probably because they have never really travelled or lived in other EU countries), I think that Britain is actually one of the most essential part of the EU. It is an early example of successful federation of European cultures.

Im not sure it was considered quiet a complete success on our side of the pond but that aside which would Britain prefer a junior partnership with the US or a senior role in the EU?

A senior role?, thats stretching the imagination a bit!

I think we should join with Australia,New Zealand etc.. much more compatible with our culture and heritage.

EUrope has always been threat to our independence, the EU is just another threat, only a peaceful one!

ps Why have I got a EU flag next to my flag?, can the administrators remove it, its offensive to me.

I agree with Starship. I'd rather be part of the EU and a major player, which, despite what the eurosceptics want you to believe, we are. If we were part of the US we'd be treated as just another state with odd American laws. At least in the EU we do not have the death penalty which is one of the criteria for joining.

There is one big difference between continental Europeans and UK citizens. When we say "Europe" we normally mean ALL of it from Inverness to Athens.

I agree with Starship. I'd rather be part of the EU and a major player, which, despite what the eurosceptics want you to believe, we are. If we were part of the US we'd be treated as just another state with odd American laws. At least in the EU we do not have the death penalty which is one of the criteria for joining.

A major player in our own demise as a sovereign nation.

A senior role?, thats stretching the imagination a bit!

I think we should join with Australia,New Zealand etc.. much more compatible with our culture and heritage.

EUrope has always been threat to our independence, the EU is just another threat, only a peaceful one!

Could you list all the reasons for which you think the UK would be better off outside the EU.

Wellington,

One can't withdraw from the EU without a solid foundation to rest on. As the Commonwealth is only just beginning to live up to its words, it'll be around a decade before anything is in place.

Wellington I admire your stance on independence but has it not become painfully clear at this stage that Bush pretty much ignored all of Blair's concerns before invading Iraq and in the end left Blair in no position but to shut up and follow, where's the independence in that.
Canada and Australia are large countries with vast natural resources and relatively small populations on the far side of the world, do you really believe they would want closer political ties Britain, whats the advantage to them?

Wellington I admire your stance on independence but has it not become painfully clear at this stage that Bush pretty much ignored all of Blair's concerns before invading Iraq and in the end left Blair in no position but to shut up and follow, where's the independence in that.
Canada and Australia are large countries with vast natural resources and relatively small populations on the far side of the world, do you really believe they would want closer political ties Britain, what's the advantage to them?

I'm not talking close political ties, I'm talking closer economic ties, Why getting into another EU type institution when alls we want is easier ways to trade without the wannabe country building codswallop and all the nonsense that comes with it.

Wellington,

One can't withdraw from the EU without a solid foundation to rest on. As the Commonwealth is only just beginning to live up to its words, it'll be around a decade before anything is in place.

How did you remove the EU flag? :grin:
I've removed it from my driving licence, but I can't remove it from my posts.:mad:

edit: I just realised why, Guernsey is free from EU rule.

EU countries are amongst the largest trading partners with the UK. Removing yourselves from the EU will have a negative effect on that.

employment

How can employment be improved by leaving the EU? It may limit foregin direct investment into the UK as result and big multinationals may seek to relocate to an EU country causing an increase in unemployment.

democracy

British demorcracy still exists. You do still vote for your elected representatives, don't you?

How does your culture benefit from leaving the EU.

I don't care what is the best/worst for the UK or which are their reasons to dislike/like the EU. If the majority of british want to leave the EU they should be allowed to do it.

trade
employment
democracy
culture

That's quite a laugh.

Trade - who'd trade with the UK if it left? The old Commonwealth? They've moved on. The US? Well, if you don't mind the protectionism.

Employment. I see. We had full employment before joining the EU did we?

Democracy? That's a hoot! The European Parliamentary elections are the ONLY democratic elections all the British can participate in. Westminster FPTP elections are a farago.

Culture. I don't see much in the way of European cultural imperialism on British TV, cinema, music, visual arts etc. In fact I see US cultural imperialism daily and plenty of British cultural product here in my Spanish village home.

So, your point?

It seems to be the case that the more people learn about the EU, as opposed to believing the BS doled out by the popular ‘bent bananas ban’ press and politicians playing the ‘blame Europe’ card for their own inadequacies, the more they generally like and approve of the EU.

There is disquiet about some about the processes, especially the unelected members of The Commission and other bodies but the belief is that change will come if for no other reason than change will bring greater efficiency.

There is however an underlying xenophobia in the UK. That’s a ting about Island people anywhere. And even in some cases an actual dislike of foreigners, and a belief that British is Best, but this is all to often replaced by shock when such people do venture abroad and get beyond the “Costa’s”

And who do I mix with? A variety of people mostly in England and of course Wales (and not just a few ‘in the valley’) and from all walks of life.

I find British attitude toward the EU a bit irritating sometimes because they don't seem to know what they want themselves. So for me the good question would rather be "Do the british people want their country in or out the EU ?".
It's up to you to decide if you want to be part of the family.

I find British attitude toward the EU a bit irritating sometimes because they don't seem to know what they want themselves. So for me the good question would rather be "Do the british people want their country in or out the EU ?".
It's up to you to decide if you want to be part of the family.

Right now a referendum on that issue would be a resounding NO.

However, if the British people were allowed to know the facts, all the facts, and were not treated like mushrooms (you know, kept in the dark and fed a diet of farmyard droppings) then the result would be spectacular.

After they had tarred and feathered most politicians, and emerged from the shock of having to face a reality that was so far removed form what they think their world was like, they would unquestionably be a majority vote YES.

This thread has been viewed 107883 times.

Back