How is abuse/Catholic Church playing out...

Nasturtium

Reaction score
Ethnic group
UK/German/Irish
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c3i
in Germany? I've tried to find a thread on the subject, but failed to locate one. The headline in my local newspaper (Wisconsin) reads:

"Vatican sees campaign against Pope Benedict"

I've read the background concerning his brother's involvement, or lack thereof if believed, in regards to covering up abuse and even engaging in corporal punishment. Monsignor Charles J. Scicluna, director of a tribunal inside the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith is quote as saying:

"We can say that about 60% of the cases chiefly involved sexual attraction towards adolescents of the same sex, another 30% involved heterosexual relations, and the remaining 10% were cases of pedophilia in the true sense of the term; that is, based on sexual attraction towards prepubescent children"

He goes on to say that the Vatican received about 3,000 total accusations of abuse by priests of minors in the past decade, 80% of them from the United States.

In regards to the 60% of adolescent abuse cases, they were not brought to trial due to the advanced age of the accused.

In the U.S. we've been contemplating this for the better part of 2 decades now, but if what I read in my paper is correct, Europe is just now confronting this issue with the Catholic church. Is that true? If so, why?

About the assertion that 80% of accusations come the U.S....Is the Vatican trying to insinuate something tawdry about American priests, or is this a function of Americans having less reverence for Church leaders? Had this been portrayed in Europe as a uniquely American problem up until now?

In the U.S., the advanced age of an adolescent would never fly as a mitigating factor for sexual abuse by a priest, at least not in the court of "public opinion". Admittedly, Americans are still quite puritanical in our views on all things sexual...how is it being viewed there?

I'd love to get an unfiltered opinion.

This is a video of the BBC Panorama programme Sex Crimes and the Vatican.

It shows how the present pope Benedict-Ratzinger is personally responsible for orchestrating the sex crimes rampage against children by his clergy throughout the world. Tens of thousands of children have been raped by Catholic priests in the last few decades. 14,000 victims in Ireland alone have come forward. The pope bound the victims to silence about the crimes under threat of excommunication from the church. The priests were moved between parishes to keep abusing children.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-9216902699740163930

The BBC has a website about the programme Sex Crimes and the Vatican.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/5389684.stm

Sex crimes and the Vatican

A secret document which sets out a procedure for dealing with child sex abuse scandals within the Catholic Church is examined by Panorama.

Crimen Sollicitationis was enforced for 20 years by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger before he became the Pope.

It instructs bishops on how to deal with allegations of child abuse against priests and has been seen by few outsiders.

Critics say the document has been used to evade prosecution for sex crimes.

Crimen Sollicitationis was written in 1962 in Latin and given to Catholic bishops worldwide who are ordered to keep it locked away in the church safe.

It instructs them how to deal with priests who solicit sex from the confessional. It also deals with "any obscene external act ... with youths of either sex."

It imposes an oath of secrecy on the child victim, the priest dealing with the allegation and any witnesses.

Breaking that oath means excommunication from the Catholic Church.

[...]

This is a news article about the programme Sex Crimes and the Vatican

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369148-pope-led-cover-up-of-child-abuse-by-priests.do

Pope 'led cover-up of child abuse by priests'

The Pope played a leading role in a systematic cover-up of child sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests, according to a shocking documentary to be screened by the BBC tonight.

In 2001, while he was a cardinal, he issued a secret Vatican edict to Catholic bishops all over the world, instructing them to put the Church's interests ahead of child safety.

The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it. And, to keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeat the allegations they would be excommunicated.

[...]

This is the BBC news tonight. As usual these hypocritical Pharisees refuse to take any personal responsibility for their acts. Yet they want us all on our knees before them confessing our 'sins'.

Cardinal Brady will not resign over abuse 'cover-up'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8567144.stm

Catholic church's most senior cleric in Ireland has rejected calls to resign over claims he helped cover up sex abuse investigations in the 1970s.

Cardinal Sean Brady, primate of all-Ireland, admitted he was present at meetings where two abused teenagers were made to sign vows of silence.

The meetings followed complaints of abuse against Fr Brendan Smyth, jailed in the 1990s for serial child abuse.

[...]

A campaigner for victims of clerical child abuse in Ireland, Colm O'Gorman, said Cardinal Brady should resign following the admission that he had represented the church at the meetings where children were forced to take a vow of silence about their abuse.

Mr O'Gorman said: "He believed that this out of control paedophile [Smyth] had abused children and he did nothing to report this crime to the police either then, or it would appear, at any point over the next 20 years during which Smyth continued to rape and abuse in parishes across the world with near impunity.

"Instead he took part in a cover-up of Smyth's crimes and swore his child victims to secrecy," he said.

"Cardinal Sean Brady is now deeply personally implicated in the gross failures of the Catholic Church in the management of Smyth and his rampant sexual offending against children. And on that basis and given his statement of December 2009 he must resign."

[...]

Cardinal Brady has taken to lieing...

Spin, spin and more spin, Cardinal Brady fights to dodge responsibility

http://colmogorman.com/?p=647

Yesterday when it was revealed that he had been a church appointed investigator into complaints by two children that had been abused by Fr Brendan Smyth, Cardinal Sean Brady told RTE that he had been following his Bishop’s orders and there were no guidelines for dealing with such investigations at that time.

[...]

Note the two references to “the process” and “the information gathering process”. It was clearly a formal catholic church process of investigation in which Cardinal Brady, as an expert canon lawyer, played an important role.

He recorded the evidence gathered from both child victims and also questioned them as part of the “process”. This is acknowledged by the Cardinal himself.

Both of the child victims questioned by Sean Brady and his clerical colleagues were required to sign a formal undertaking, under oath, that they would not disclose the meetings or their complaints to the church to anyone.

There does not seem to be any end to this insanity. The level of criminality is mind boggling.

It’s only criminality from our perspective.

From the Islamic perspective it’s right.

Remember, it’s us who are the devils, the enemy of the living god.

In their eyes.

The issue is the utter incompatibility between islam and the modern evolved societies.

Gwyllgi

"The living God" is a Judaic name of god, hence a Christian. Jesus is often called either the son of the living god or a living god himself.

You know, I don't think you know any Muslims personally, otherwise I don't think you would spread this kind of misinformation.

You know, I don't think you know any Muslims personally, otherwise I don't think you would spread this kind of misinformation.
And what has this anything to do with what the Islam says ?

Wilhelm

Ok. Seriously? He is making continuous hate speech against Muslims, and you think it has anything to do with the practiced religion? Then I ask you. Do you have Muslim friends? People that you actually talk too face to face. I have read both the Bible and the Qur'an, and they are both full of prejudice and make belief. This doesn't mean that either Christians or Muslims are murderers by default.

Most Muslims have more important things to do than to plot against the evil west. Like working, spending time with their children, watching a game of football or have a cup of tea with a friend. They are pretty normal. Being a Muslim don't automatically make you Wahhabite or a killer.

Ok. Seriously? He is making continuous hate speech against Muslims, and you think it has anything to do with the practiced religion? Then I ask you. Do you have Muslim friends?

During my working life I have spent considerable periods of time in predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle and the Far East. I’ve had dealings with Mohammedans of various sects. Some, like the Sufi, Islamic in only the loosest sense, others far more observant.

In that time I’ve learned enough Arabic to be confident in the language, and enough about Islam to be able to discuss the Koran with people who accept it as the disclosed “word of God” with confidence.

People that you actually talk too face to face. I have read both the Bible and the Qur'an, and they are both full of prejudice and make belief. This doesn't mean that either Christians or Muslims are murderers by default.

For the devout each book is as real to them as night will follow day.

To start with The Koran isn’t a book to be read, it’s a set of verses to be learned and to be constantly repeated sotto voce in all things at all times. It is also a thing that is to be referred out to in all forms of documentation. Try reading The Hammas Charter to get a flavour of this, also to see why Hammas can not ever reach a lasting peace with Israel.

Check out http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/www.thejerusalemfund.org/carryover/documents/charter.html It’s one of many places that this infamous document can be found.

But back to the point in hand. The bible is a book to be read. What’s more the Bible is a living source, a source that can be and is interpreted to be relevant to modern times.

Prophets have come and gone, Popes have issued divine encyclicals, people have been credited with speaking while possessed by the spirit of The Lord, all of which is impossible in Islam.

In Islam when Mohammed snuffed it that was the end of revelations. No new messages, no changes to what he’d made up, no more prophets, no changes at all.

He claimed that as it was the reveled word of their God there would be no need to change because it was perfect already.

And if the world didn’t line up with Islam because the world had evolved beyond abuse of women, legalised theft by conquest, terrorism as a means of land grab and the whole lot more that was the coin of the day 1300 years ago, then it was the modern world that must be made to revert to the morality of savage people living in savage lands during savage times.

Most Muslims have more important things to do than to plot against the evil west. Like working, spending time with their children, watching a game of football or have a cup of tea with a friend. They are pretty normal. Being a Muslim don't automatically make you Wahhabite or a killer

But behind all is the all pervading imperative to follow the Koran, make use of the Hadith, and the instructions and directives, and in the case of the Hadith the examples that both make. The evil isn’t necessarily in the people, it’s in the ideology. And it’s only evil insofar as it runs so counter to our evolved and evolving societies and cultures.

Islam has its place still, in places where savagery needs a savage form of government and discipline. Europe is not such a place.

Winston Churchill wrote a very apposite article in his book ‘The River War”. I make no apologies for repeating a part of it here :-

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries!

Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity.

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property (either as a child, a wife, or a concubine) must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities.

Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science (the science against which it had vainly struggled) the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.”

Now let’s touch on the word “murderers”. One mans murderer is another mans executioner. It depends on the beliefs and convictions of the man.

This thread has been viewed 12880 times.

Back