Skinput : use your own skin as a keypad !

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Science Daily : Student Uses Skin as Input for Mobile Devices

Science Daily said:
A combination of simple bio-acoustic sensors and some sophisticated machine learning makes it possible for people to use their fingers or forearms -- potentially, any part of their bodies -- as touchpads to control smart phones or other mobile devices.

The technology, called Skinput, was developed by Chris Harrison, a third-year Ph.D. student in Carnegie Mellon University's Human-Computer Interaction Institute (HCII), along with Desney Tan and Dan Morris of Microsoft Research. Harrison will describe the technology in a paper to be presented on April 12, at CHI 2010, the Association for Computing Machinery's annual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems in Atlanta, Ga.

Check Chris Harrison's website for videos of how it works. Simply amazing. I was wondering what kind of revolutionary technology would come next, after the Internet and smart phones. Here is a first answer.

Quite interesting...

Wow ! this is great ! When are they planning to commercialize it ?

Has there been any progression on this ?

I guess some great invention are not working well in real world. You have to notice that one needs to carry a projector on arm or head to display the keyboard. How convenient is this? And try doing it outside in strong sunlight, good luck, and it would take time to learn how to maneuver your hand not to cover display while busy pressing buttons.
Inside homes and offices we have Ipads and real keyboards anyway. If it was invented before smartphones it would have a chance but not now.

One of the biggest invention these day,s and it would help tremendously other inventions, would be an electric battery that holds 5 times more power, and recharges in minutes. That's needed for electric cars to finally take off, all portable electronics, tools, personal robots, the list is long.

Other huge change will be when we have automatic cars, cars that drive by artificial intelligence and by city traffic network. This automated traffic can carry at least twice the volume of cars on same roads, comparing what people can manage.
Say goodbye to personal cars. Won't be needed anymore. Network of automated taxis will do better job. You need a car, press button on your smart-phone and car is at your place in minutes. It will take you to destination, and it will go where needed or park itself somewhere till next call. It should be cheaper than owning a car 24/7 plus insurance.

Another big one will be robots. I mentioned them here. http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?27140-Robot-anyone-!-New-technological-revolution-is-near&highlight=robot+anyone%3F
We almost have the elements in place, and probably one day new Steve Jobs will prove surprised world that it was possible. Like nobody before Jobs new that smart phones where already possible.

Yeah I noticed that but I thought it was maybe just a prototype...reminds me of the old Benny Hill sketch about the invisible hearing aid....but you have to carry the battery in a suitcase, ha ha!
Do you think these electric cars will totally replace what we use now Le Brok? I know there was talk of building a public "charge point" for them somewhere in England a short while back..bit presumptuous at the moment I thought.
Artificial intelligence cars..we`ll be like the "Jetsons" ( is that the one with flying cars or am I confusing it?) Mind you artificial intelligence driving, beats the lack of intelligence some road users seem to have!
With regard to that "dog" robot in one of your links..don`t fancy that, it looks too much like a giant spider for me!
I think the best one I have seen up to now is Asimo, by Honda..although not sure about the voice they chose for it.

Last edited:
I think in Israel there is/was a company that had electric cars with replaceable batteries. Driver didn't need to charge it for hours, but drove to station and they switched battery in couple of minutes. Once we have good batteries all cars will be electrical. Who minds driving, clean and quiet car?
And yes even AI/computers won't be perfect drivers, there will be glitches and something unexpected will always happen, but they will beat humans at task of driving hands down. I believe there will be a time 50-100 years when driving cars by humans will be forbiden for safety reasons. :)

I like that you mentioned that the big dog is simply ugly. This might be the most difficult part of robotics. To "dress up" the robots, or put life like skin on it, so it doesn't look freakish.
The point of this video was to show how well AI holds balance in real life conditions, and even when pushed/kicked around. Mind you that the big dog doesn't have head nor eyes. Try cutting your head off...maybe not :)), try closing your eyes and go through same terrain being pushed around unexpectedly. I think what they did with Bigdog is simply amazing engineering.
The bigdog is a prime example how important an invention of good battery is. Outside version of bigdog uses gasoline engine, that's why it is loud and sounds like a lawn mower, lol.

No, I don`t think many could honestly have a problem with electric cars being cleaner and quieter Le Brok , you are right. The difference they could make to our "carbon footprint" could be great indeed ( depending of course on how the electric is generated).
I think the biggest problem will be to convince people that they can perform just as well (maybe better) than conventional petrol or diesel cars.
Yes, as for Bigdog! I totally appreciate the brilliance behind him, it`s just "visually", on a personal level, he reminded me of a massive spider. In fact I did not make it to the end of the video! I had for a long time, a foolish dislike for spiders so that was the reason for my opinion on his looks! I am over that now, but just did`nt fancy "pushing" it too far! LOL.

Heh. That's kinda cool. Could see that being useful but it sounds like it would take me a while to get used to it. Wonder when or if it will actually reach the public.

This thread has been viewed 10508 times.

Back